Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin rod  (Read 9581 times)

younggun

• Old Timer
Centerpin rod
« on: October 23, 2007, 12:48:50 AM »

How much should a normal rod go for, used, brandnew? I'm thinking of getting a rod built, but want something as a substitute. So far i've been using my neighbors. Where can i get a good deal on a rod? If needed does anyone have a used one that they can part with?
Fish killer 101

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Centerpin rod
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 10:04:29 AM »

Difficult question to answer. The cost will depend on the quality of the rod plus the bells and whistles you want on it. If you're looking for a used rod, look in the Buy and Sell section.

c_dog

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 10:42:55 AM »

Watch craigslist, I got a sage 3113lb for $250 :o
"Ya I got fish on, but now what am I apposetado?"

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 12:42:24 PM »

i have gone both ways on this one. i have spent $200 on a rod and reel and i have spent alot more. i think if you a really into the sport , then having a good one and a back up is ok.wife dependent!!

big bucks means (usually) it will cast better nicer action.... but when you do somthing stupid and dig it you end up cryin.it seem like the 3106 and 3113 are tried tested and true. but! i do feel there are some really good rods out there for less.

as far as warenty goes the last sage rod i send back for a broken tip took 2 months to get back, when i called sage they said that was within there standards.(held up at the border?)

as far as the custum rod goes, i know guys who have got them made or made them on there own and more times then not they will always go back for there fav st.crios or sage or whatever.

i would check out a few other companys , go wiggle a buch of rods you might find somthing you like for half the cost of a sage. :-\
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 12:44:15 PM by brood dude »
girls suck throw rocks at them!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 02:09:13 PM »

How much should a normal rod go for, used, brandnew? I'm thinking of getting a rod built, but want something as a substitute. So far i've been using my neighbors. Where can i get a good deal on a rod? If needed does anyone have a used one that they can part with?

Trophy cp rods are not bad for the price. You can get a brandnew one for 100-110$

Ebay
buysell
craigslist
Fishing websites buy and sell

You should be able to find a good used one on one of those sources listed above.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Tee

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 02:18:32 PM »

You might want to consider Shimano convergence or Technium. Good rods with reasonable prices and lifetime warranty! I just got Technium recently and to be honest I like it more than the Frontier that I got earlier.
I only fish on days that end with "y".

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 07:17:14 PM »

thankyou, so shimano, trophy, st.criox and fenwick all have cp rods that i want to check out. I have a couple of st.criox and fenwick casting rods and love them, so hopefully the cp rods will be the same.  I know i want a longer rod for cp'ing but is 11'2 long enough? I've been using a 10'6 so far and dont like it that much.
Fish killer 101

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 07:58:07 PM »

for me anything over 11 feet gets real noddle like, i guess its personal preferacne
girls suck throw rocks at them!

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 09:15:39 PM »

for me anything over 11 feet gets real noddle like, i guess its personal preferacne

Ever tried a Sage 4120 or a Loomis 1445 or the earlier model 1444 (all 12' ters).....nothing noodle like or for that matter noddle like about those rods.  Most 4 power rods aren't.

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 09:43:52 PM »

I have used everything from a 13 6" cp rod to a 9' rod that I currently use and I dont notice a difference in casting distance for the most part if thats what your concerned with. I actually love my 9' trophy xl light mooching rod, perfect for coholios

allwaysfishin

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 11:05:42 AM »

nobody talks about TALON rods.... so hung up on Sage.
Talon has become the signature line in my rod building business and for centerpin, the LT2 is an awesome rod.... . They are just as well made.... more durable.... less money AND thier warranty service kicks the snot outta sage. My last waranty was a complete rod replacement.... NO FEES what so ever and i didn't have to mail a rod section..... just emailed digi pics of the break.
I look at my rod racks of my personal rods...... ALL my Sage rods have been replaced with Talon's except my 8 and 9 wt sage RPL flyrods....
if i were to build a custom.... would be talon or sage
for a factory rod.... Trophy Xl tops the list..... with shimano running a very close second. I would choose the trophy cuz the guys at REDL sports really stand behind thier product and thier customer service for warranties is second to none in the LOCAL industry. They have worked hard to refine these rods to suit OUR local fish and river conditions.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 11:08:38 AM by allwaysfishin »

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 03:14:28 PM »

Talon rods ROCK, I've been beating them up since the mid 90's. Might have even bought it from you Thomas. :-*

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 04:56:29 PM »

wear can you pick up a Talon blank in the lowermainland?

J.G.

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 07:50:37 PM »

If you can find one to wiggle, you won't find a better centre pin rod for our local waters that the G-Loomis GL 3 1362. Balances perfectly with 12-15lb main line, a nice medium action for easy loading......and the best part.....It's way lighter than a Sage or Talon. I have fished them all, and this is by far the best!

fullahead

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 02:02:39 PM »

JG
    This is the information I have been looking for, the key word lighter. I am fishing with one of John Milliner’s new ball bearing, center pin reels, with a Trophy XL, TCS 5100 C, 10’ line wt 8 to 15 lb. My question is would the G- Looms, GL 3 1362 be as light as the Trophy XL? I want to buy a good center pin rod for the new reel to fish the Vedder, but I want it as light as possible.