Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My turn for a break in  (Read 9685 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
My turn for a break in
« on: November 30, 2018, 08:28:54 AM »

Well, the odds finally caught up with me! After over 50 years of parking alongside the Vedder, my truck was broken into this morning.  Same place as recently reported, Brown Road, but this time no windows were broken, they got in by breaking out my door lock.  The only thing missing is a raincoat; even had some loose change in a small container that was miraculously left alone.
Now off to a body shop to have my lock replaced, and sending vibes to the perps who did this - may you contact some hideous disease that slowly and painfully kills you.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: My turn for a break in
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 08:51:48 AM »

I am wondering if this could be the Yarrow locals. I was furious when I found out they put up no parking sings around Wilson. I wanted to yell at someone.
I used to buy gas, groceries and booze in Yarrow every week, now I'm going to give them my middle finger.
Somebody will get caught and have their hands cut off one of these days.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 12:03:45 PM »

There was a break-in at the Hopedale parking lot this morning too.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 12:30:34 PM »

I am wondering if this could be the Yarrow locals. I was furious when I found out they put up no parking sings around Wilson. I wanted to yell at someone.
I used to buy gas, groceries and booze in Yarrow every week, now I'm going to give them my middle finger.
Somebody will get caught and have their hands cut off one of these days.
I totally understand your frustration but I'm not sure how boycotting Yarrow business's will stop these break ins.  I do believe you are right in that one day someone will get caught in the act and I hope it's someone as big as Milo doling out justice.

poper

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 12:36:18 PM »

I’m sure if you parked your car and hid in the Bush you will catch them.We caught a guy at the prison run.

Jamier

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 01:06:09 PM »

:Dave sorry to hear.  I arrived at Brown this morning at 8:15.  Walked down to the river to take a look. Left around 9:00.  Saw a white truck with canopy and a Grey truck with extra cab with veteran plates. Did see anything out of the ordinary.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 05:11:56 PM »

Well, the odds finally caught up with me! After over 50 years of parking alongside the Vedder, my truck was broken into this morning.  Same place as recently reported, Brown Road, but this time no windows were broken, they got in by breaking out my door lock.  The only thing missing is a raincoat; even had some loose change in a small container that was miraculously left alone.
Now off to a body shop to have my lock replaced, and sending vibes to the perps who did this - may you contact some hideous disease that slowly and painfully kills you.
Beaks, I donot know the answer to this disturbing common occurrence. Everytime this happens many give ideas that are never acted on. All one can do is try to park in high usage areas to lessen the chances of having this happen, like the dog park by the Vedder Bridge.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 07:45:57 PM »

Beaks, I donot know the answer to this disturbing common occurrence. Everytime this happens many give ideas that are never acted on. All one can do is try to park in high usage areas to lessen the chances of having this happen, like the dog park by the Vedder Bridge.

That's exactly what the city wants.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 09:45:01 AM »

Went to Browne Road again this morning and saw where another vehicle had a window smashed out.  This would have happened yesterday after my break in.  Scum bags.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 11:18:37 AM »

Went to Browne Road again this morning and saw where another vehicle had a window smashed out.  This would have happened yesterday after my break in.  Scum bags.

What time would you say this was, Dave? I got to Brown Rd about 930am. 1 other vehicle parked there, an older green 1500 Chevy. No windows smashed. However I looked in the guy's/gal's truck and there was stuff everywhere. Nothing terribly valuable looking, but probably enough to make a thief think it's worth a "further look."

Last night I took EVERYTHING out of my truck and left all the compartments open. A huge pain but it may have paid off if the scum bags arrived when I was gone fishing.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 11:28:18 AM »

That's exactly what the city wants.

Agree.

"Vehicle break in are down 60%" or whatever %, I can just see the article in the paper.

Yeah that's because noone f**ing PARKS there anymore because they dont want to get their vehicle broken into. Hard for break ins to happen if people just stop parking their vehicles at the known parking lots.

This has got to stop. I have been chatting with some like minded friends and people on the river. We should not have to leave every compartment in our vehicles open and empty just to take our dog(s) to the river or go fishing for a few hours.

I'm brainstorming something. Like Creep Catchers but instead catching these low lifes breaking into vehicles daily along the Vedder River. Would need a decent # of people interested who would be willing to give up a bit of their time here and there. People not afraid of controntation and willing to detain someone until the RCMP arrive. Maybe my idea will be a hit or maybe it'll be a flop, but I'm going to try. Tierd of being nervous to park my truck anywhere on the river. The time has come to stop whining and do something.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 11:37:24 AM »

What time would you say this was, Dave? I got to Brown Rd about 930am.
My break in yesterday occurred about 0630-0715.  Yesterday there were 3 piles of window glass in the parking lot at that time; today at about 0800 there was a 4th pile of window glass.  Needless to say we walked Emmathedog elsewhere.
I agree it sucks when you can't leave a vehicle unattended.  I'm far to old for any confrontations but I surely hope someone else has the opportunity.

sugartooth

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 12:35:35 PM »

The rcmp needs to establish a detachment on the south side of the freeway to address the problems there. With all the new construction and influx of new residents the rcmp resources are stretched too thin.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 01:29:33 PM »

With the amount of surveillance available for cheap (dashcams, trailcams, etc.  I'm surprised no one has clear images of the perps and vehicles/bicycles involved. 

These images could be posted at all parking areas and make the perps think twice.

If the cam was locked up high in a tree it would be comedy gold trying to watch them take it down.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 07:07:45 PM »

With the amount of surveillance available for cheap (dashcams, trailcams, etc.  I'm surprised no one has clear images of the perps and vehicles/bicycles involved. 

These images could be posted at all parking areas and make the perps think twice.

If the cam was locked up high in a tree it would be comedy gold trying to watch them take it down.

I'm looking into getting something for my truck. Would be nice if it was hidden in the front grill area, and still stayed on (or motion activated) when the vehicle is tuned off.

Can anyone recommend a paticular product? I have not got to the online research stage yet.

Yeah a trailcam would be nice, but I'm up not into setting the damn thing up everywhere I go. I have contemplated buying one and setting it up at a popular break-in parking lot, and putting it way up high with an extension ladder so noone can easily steal it.

If anyone has any better ideas I'm all ears.