Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing resort woes  (Read 3529 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Fishing resort woes
« on: March 23, 2013, 08:37:30 PM »

Three buddies and I have been customers of a lake fishing resort for the past 8 years. Several years ago another pair of friends joined us. All of us, save one, are flyfishing hacks. I'm not the one. ;D The trip is as much about the laughter, friendship, and apres fish banter as it is about the fishing.

For the first seven years we thoroughly enjoyed our 4 day stay at the camp, however this past year was a different story and we had some significant customer service challenges. The four of us wrote a very respectful letter to the camp owners and asked for a response. None came. After a couple of phone messages, I got a call back this week. It went like this, almost verbatim...

Did you receive our letter?   Yes.
Do you have a response?  No.
So you are willing to lose us as customers? Yes.
Can I ask why? There are bad feelings on both sides and you wound up costing us money.
How did we cost you money? I had to fire up the backhoe to pull you out and repair the road. (Note: this was after we got stuck on a road within the camp. We questioned the $50 towing charge at checkout and it was reversed)

This is a resort where Americans form a very large percentage of the clientele and they have seen a significant increase in their vacancy rate since the American economic woes of the past 5 years. I mistakenly thought they would want to retain some Canadian customers who paid approx $1500 for their stay. Most of our group was willing to remain customers of the resort if there was some meaningful dialogue, but it seems they were not interested.  I realize there are 2 sides to every story, and we might not be the self righteous guests that we perceive ourselves to be, but their business model makes me shake my head.

Ironically, we will be returning to the lake this year, but to a competitor's resort instead.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing resort woes
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:24:06 PM »

having a hard time seeing the point of this without the name of the resort ;)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 10:29:04 PM »

Three buddies and I have been customers of a lake fishing resort for the past 8 years. Several years ago another pair of friends joined us. All of us, save one, are flyfishing hacks. I'm not the one. ;D The trip is as much about the laughter, friendship, and apres fish banter as it is about the fishing.

For the first seven years we thoroughly enjoyed our 4 day stay at the camp, however this past year was a different story and we had some significant customer service challenges. The four of us wrote a very respectful letter to the camp owners and asked for a response. None came. After a couple of phone messages, I got a call back this week. It went like this, almost verbatim...

Did you receive our letter?   Yes.
Do you have a response?  No.
So you are willing to lose us as customers? Yes.
Can I ask why? There are bad feelings on both sides and you wound up costing us money.
How did we cost you money? I had to fire up the backhoe to pull you out and repair the road. (Note: this was after we got stuck on a road within the camp. We questioned the $50 towing charge at checkout and it was reversed)

This is a resort where Americans form a very large percentage of the clientele and they have seen a significant increase in their vacancy rate since the American economic woes of the past 5 years. I mistakenly thought they would want to retain some Canadian customers who paid approx $1500 for their stay. Most of our group was willing to remain customers of the resort if there was some meaningful dialogue, but it seems they were not interested.  I realize there are 2 sides to every story, and we might not be the self righteous guests that we perceive ourselves to be, but their business model makes me shake my head.

Ironically, we will be returning to the lake this year, but to a competitor's resort instead.

I guess they read you well. You will probably go back to the lake and then to the same resort after a while.
Let me guess, you are talking about Osoyoos Lake.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:46:04 PM »

Their loss. There are other resorts.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:15:47 PM »

+2

I work hard and expect the same from the companies that I spend my money on.  I perhaps have to high of expectations but in the majority of cases there are lots of competitors willing to take my money.  I won't put up with that kind of attitude especially if I'm a long term repeat customer.

You've spent approx. $12K with them and they want to get testy on a ground up dirt road and the backhoe gas?  Really?  There goes the other $12K or so in the future.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 09:14:37 AM »

If it's as cut-and-dry as your tale implies, then I too would question the thought process behind something like what the resort has pulled.  Pretty crappy management on their part.

That said, you yourself admit that there are 2 sides to every story.  If - as they say - there are bad feelings on both sides, then I can see their point.  Extra cash isn't worth it if you're a pain in the butt.  And if they claim to be losing money, let me ask this: are you paying the "going rate" each year for the trip?  Or are you bargaining and asking for last year's rate, etc?

Sometimes it just ain't worth it. lol

That said, there are lots of other resorts out there right now that would be happy to take your business, so I wouldn't worry too much. :)

roseph

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:20:14 AM »

I'll tell you what they told me at Lac Le Jeune Resort last year. 

The manager told me and my friends straight up that their main business now is bird watchers so they want to make sure no one disturbs them, and that they are happy.  He went on to say that fishermen are basically the second priority after the bird watchers and continually warned us to not disturb them. 

This is how we were welcomed.  Something to keep in mind in case anyone is planning to stay there this year. 

fishgutz63

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »

I wonder how it would go if the guys from duck dynasty came up to bird watch at this resort ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 03:52:09 PM »

I wonder how it would go if the guys from duck dynasty came up to bird watch at this resort ;D

Just to keep things very clear, clarki's original post about a particular resort is not Lac Le Jeune Resort in roseph's post. They're two different stories.

Just to add to what roseph has mentioned about LLJ Resort. We stayed there a couple of years ago (non-fishing trip) and had a great time. I wanted to explore marketing opportunities on our website, but he doesn't seem that interested in attracting more fishermen as it is more work for them. That's not to say it is a good or bad thing, they're simply happy with the birdwatching niche which is bringing them enough business. It's too bad because it's a really lovely place to be, the food is also really good.

roseph

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 03:59:35 PM »

Sorry I should've indicated that in my post, thanks for clarifying Rod.  My post has nothing to do with the OP.

Lac Le Jeune is a nice place but yes we wish we would've known about their bird watching preference before going.  We literally were made to feel like they were doing us a huge favor by allowing us lowly fishermen to share the same space as their birdwatchers. 

Not a place I would ever return to as a fisherman given their current stance.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »

One look at there web site :

"Go fishing for our "Famous Kamloops Rainbow Trout" or simply watch their aerial displays or check out spawning stream."

"Along the way, you'll see lots of song birds, ducks, loons as well as "Jumping Kamloops Rainbow Trout" and a active Bald Eagles nest."

and you get the idea that watching fish jump is the highlight. ::)

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?