Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: choosing Belly boat fins  (Read 9523 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
choosing Belly boat fins
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:52:59 PM »

I am shopping for a pair of belly boat fins (I just bought a Fish Cat Deluxe). Any body has a suggestion of a reasonably priced brand and where to get it? Also, I wear size 12 shoes and my wading boots are 13. I intend to wear the boots to fit into the fins. This will help walking back to my car if I park far from the launching area. So are those fins with adjustable strap better fit if I wear boots with the fins? Does it matter what type of shape for the fins? I have seen quite a few people using fins with a deep fork. Is there any advantage of that shape? Can I use diving/scuba fins for belly boat? Your recommendations or comments are appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 04:55:39 PM by liketofish »

TacoChris

Re: choosing Belly boat fins
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 05:21:24 PM »

The forked shaped fins you see people with are probably force fins. I have these they are very comfortable but expensive.  There used to be knock offs off these available. Not as good for maximum propulsion longer fins equal more power.

You can use scuba fins just make sure they do not slip off easy. Adjustable fins are better as you can cinch them up tight. It would suck to lose your fins in the middle of a lake. I use fin savers on mine in case the strap breaks.

Stay away from excessively rigid fins and go with longer fins. If I where you I would look for a reasonably priced $60 dollar range with adjustable straps.

If I where to buy new fins I would get the Scadden Omega flip fins. Cabelas has them but they cost $169 so they are not cheap. You really get what you pay for.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »

If you find the force fin knockoffs that Taco alludes to, don't be seduced by the price and buy the. I bought a pair of Pro Tac fins from Army and Navy and one broke in the middle of a very large lake. Big time bummer :)
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=24335.msg229238#msg229238

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 08:15:24 PM »

Force fins, no question about it. I will say, I havent used long scuba fins on a tube, but I have used the knock offs force fins, random crappy short fins, and my adjustable force fins, and the 180 dollar price tag is well worth it IMO. I can motor along just fine in my Fat Cat, and they fit PERFECTLY over my boots. Should I want to wet wade in summer, im not limited by the size of the foot holder in the fin. Plus they are great for holding positions on windy days, since a slight kick doesnt equate to moving you far away. At the price though, I can see why some prefer the knock off versions. I notice a difference though.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Verdi

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 09:07:22 PM »

i like force fins my self, when the wind blows you to the otherside of the lake, you would be glad you did not skimp, on your fins. i have put many miles on mine, as for scuba fins they are designed to be used in the swimming position, not a sitting positions, you will tire yourself out sooner, mind you there probably are guys that use them, and they are probably young and fit..

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 09:19:06 PM »

If you find the force fin knockoffs that Taco alludes to, don't be seduced by the price and buy the. I bought a pair of Pro Tac fins from Army and Navy and one broke in the middle of a very large lake. Big time bummer :)
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=24335.msg229238#msg229238

I bought them too and they broke in half. I brought them back with the bill. I had purchased them almost two years by then and good old A&N gave me a refund.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 10:12:19 PM »

I bought them too and they broke in half. I brought them back with the bill. I had purchased them almost two years by then and good old A&N gave me a refund.
NOW you tell me! :)

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 10:27:43 PM »

Wow, reading this stuff really makes me appreciate my little 8 foot hard transom inflatable with oars and electric motor.

I have gone from belly boat to pontoon to "Zodiac" with air floor and will never, ever, ever go back.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 12:44:12 AM »

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. For some of you who have more experiences, if I wear size 13 boots which I want to fit into the fins, do you think I need a large, XL, or XXL size?  Also, if I buy a pair of force fins online, how can I tell I am not buying a knock off?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 04:52:36 AM »

Wow, reading this stuff really makes me appreciate my little 8 foot hard transom inflatable with oars and electric motor.

I have gone from belly boat to pontoon to "Zodiac" with air floor and will never, ever, ever go back.

I agree. After having a few knee operations my knee caps get sore just talking about belly boats LOL.  Something to consider if you've had some sort of knee injuries. For some reason that sitting upright kicking motion is brutal!

jimmywits

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 09:27:37 AM »

I only use my belly boat when I can't get my pram to the water body of choice. My fins are adjustable, but nothing fancy or expensive and they work fine.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 06:39:41 PM »

I agree. After having a few knee operations my knee caps get sore just talking about belly boats LOL.  Something to consider if you've had some sort of knee injuries. For some reason that sitting upright kicking motion is brutal!

I will say I agree with this. I have had no real injuries or surgeries on my knees, but years of baseball and hockey has left them bruised, battered, and much older than the rest of my body. After a day of kicking, I really feel it, and am ready for bed! Or a hot tub  ;D
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 07:13:27 PM »

I will say I agree with this. I have had no real injuries or surgeries on my knees, but years of baseball and hockey has left them bruised, battered, and much older than the rest of my body. After a day of kicking, I really feel it, and am ready for bed! Or a hot tub  ;D

--On the other hand your doctor may prescribe this precise exercise and time off work to rehab your knee depending on the injury.
--The knok offs are cheaper different flex  and advertise as "like force fin" they do not say they are force fins.
--I don't think you'll get the fins cheaper on line than some BC fishing stores.. also you want to take your boot with you to get the proper size as there are adjustable ones that fit a range as opposed to fit one size.
--Like others have said... I like the adjustable as I can wear it with or without the boots.
--Some do not like the kick action of the force fin it is more of an upright from the knee the longer swim style can use less bend in the knee... more of a natural swim action
--You really need to borrow some different styles and try them out to get a feel for what you like best.
--I have also used the shorter Caddis style boot fin in rivers mainly for hands free positioning in the river.

TacoChris

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 08:10:50 PM »

if I wear size 13 boots which I want to fit into the fins, do you think I need a large, XL, or XXL size?  Also, if I buy a pair of force fins on line, how can I tell I am not buying a knock off?

Force fins do no come in different sizes that I am aware off. They will say they are force fins that is the brand. I have size 13 feet and find the regular ones a bit short once my feet take go in. The adjustable ones are supposedly a bit longer. Michael and Young  sells them for less than Cabelas. I would email them they can give you better details or recommend other options if they are out of your price range. If you have a local store fishing store you should check them out.

It would be best to go into a store and try them on.

TacoChris

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »

http://www.forcefin.com check out the website. Regular fins do have sizes they have sizing charts. Adjustable do not. Michael and Young fly fishing advertises both on thier website for $190.