Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Line and Leader Question  (Read 8182 times)

sapper

• 2000 Feet 3 Miles East of the Port Mann, Full Stop
Line and Leader Question
« on: August 31, 2010, 10:18:31 PM »

Hello all!

Long time lurker (Since 2003!) and my second post in 2 days - I'm on a roll.

I've been out of the fishing sceen since 2005 (Moved to AB). Now that I'm back I've gotten right back into the swing of things.  A lot of info has slipped my mind in the past 5 years and its cost me a bit of cash buying the wrong things.

My question I have today, with the sockey hitting the fraser as they are, I've been using 25 Lb line with a 17 lb leader.  Over the past 4 outtings in the past week I've managed to hook into one today which was my first since 2004.  After fighting it it for about 45 seconds it snapped my leader.  Is a 17 Lb leader too light for the socks?
From the coasts of BC and Newfoundland Labrador, to the smallest crevasse in the hills of Afghanistan.  Support your Canadian Troops!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Line and Leader Question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 10:27:48 PM »

Hello all!

Long time lurker (Since 2003!) and my second post in 2 days - I'm on a roll.

I've been out of the fishing sceen since 2005 (Moved to AB). Now that I'm back I've gotten right back into the swing of things.  A lot of info has slipped my mind in the past 5 years and its cost me a bit of cash buying the wrong things.

My question I have today, with the sockey hitting the fraser as they are, I've been using 25 Lb line with a 17 lb leader.  Over the past 4 outtings in the past week I've managed to hook into one today which was my first since 2004.  After fighting it it for about 45 seconds it snapped my leader.  Is a 17 Lb leader too light for the socks?

If you want to participate in this meat fishery you need to use gear that doesn't fail you. Although some may say it's overkill, I use 60-70 lb fireline and 30 lb leader. The only time either of those break is if they get snagged under a rock and I need to pull it free....   I have never had the line break with a fish on....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »

17 Is overkill. I would say 8 is plenty, But since you are fishing in a gong show environment and need to control your fish I would use 12 or more. Monofilament.

It took you 7 years to post something? ;)
The Bigger The Better!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 10:48:22 PM »

I use 20 main and 15 for my leader and never have a problem.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

jon5hill

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:50:52 PM »

Oral-B, waxed

iRobertO

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:05:14 PM »

Well I usually just ask questions, but maybe I get to add something for once.
IMO 17lb leader is perfectly fine for sox. Lighter would work, but as someone said, yank it in and take it home.. You also might consider heavier in case you get into a spring. I think some might say that 17 is good enough for a spring too, but with all the people and the type of fishery it is, you probably don't have the time to stand there playing it for 20 minutes while 40 people are waiting.
I think you have one of 3 problems depending on where your leader broke;
If you were left with a couple of inches after your swivel, your weightprobably broke it off after banging it a bunch of times, so use a leader saver.
If you were left with zero leader, then maybe you need to refresh your knot tying skills  :P
Or 3, you sure it was not a Spring that you had on?
Just my thoughts.

Rob

fish007

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 11:11:54 PM »

A question : Will this set up work for sockeye?

Attach a  spin-n-glo at the end of long leader, attach a hook before the head of spin n glo. Does any one have expereinces of this for sockeye.

sapper

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:33:11 PM »

Well I usually just ask questions, but maybe I get to add something for once.
IMO 17lb leader is perfectly fine for sox. Lighter would work, but as someone said, yank it in and take it home.. You also might consider heavier in case you get into a spring. I think some might say that 17 is good enough for a spring too, but with all the people and the type of fishery it is, you probably don't have the time to stand there playing it for 20 minutes while 40 people are waiting.
I think you have one of 3 problems depending on where your leader broke;
If you were left with a couple of inches after your swivel, your weightprobably broke it off after banging it a bunch of times, so use a leader saver.
If you were left with zero leader, then maybe you need to refresh your knot tying skills  :P
Or 3, you sure it was not a Spring that you had on?
Just my thoughts.

Rob

The line broke around a foot from the hook and left 70% of the leader behind.  I couldnt tell you if it was a spring on the line it never came up and I didnt get it close enough to shore to be able to see it. dont know the different between a spring and a sockeye when fighting them - dont forget this is the first fish I've had on in almost 6 years.  I'll stick with the current setup for the time being, it may have just been bit of bad luck with a scrape on the leader, or perhaps a spring that took off on me. 

And yes BigFisher, it took me 7 years to post something.  Sad I know. 
From the coasts of BC and Newfoundland Labrador, to the smallest crevasse in the hills of Afghanistan.  Support your Canadian Troops!

BBarley

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 12:41:03 AM »

How old is your leader material?
Old monofilament doesn't withstand the abuse that new stuff does in my experience. I'd recommend 15lb Maxima Chameleon.

sapper

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 01:05:54 AM »

How old is your leader material?
Old monofilament doesn't withstand the abuse that new stuff does in my experience. I'd recommend 15lb Maxima Chameleon.

Picked it up yesterday.  Brand spankin new.  Trilene Fluorocarbon 17 Lb test
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:10:52 AM by sapper »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 01:33:21 AM »

Im another one that bounces with 80lb braid and 30lb mono leader. Im there for one thing and thats getting my fish and going home. I usually only fish for an hour max to "try for my spring" but this year i have left almost right away after getting my two. Even the day i drove all the way there was was finished in less than 15casts (2.5hrs of driving all together and 20mins of fishing)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 01:45:22 AM »

Fluorocarbon line is probably not the best line to use for bottom bouncing.  In the dirty waters of the Fraser River fish will not see the line you are using so the advantage of fluorocarbon line is lost. Better to use 15 lb or 20 lb mono for your leader such as Maxima ultragreen, or Berkeley Big Game. These lines are abrasion resistant and can take a beating. The problem with Fluorocarbon is that it can develop weak spots in the line, fractures,  which eventually will cause a line breakage. In addition, if you get hung up and you pull excessively on the line, you weaken it also.  You can do a google search on this and read more about it. Better to save this line for coho or steelhead season. Instead get some plain jane mono such as maxima ultragreen for instance and before you know it you will have a sockeye on your bbq.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 07:13:09 AM »

i use 65lb tuff line and 25lb big game leader. i horse them to the beach and get out after my 2 socks. springs are another kettle of fish,have to be carefull and play them.
would not use florocarbon for flossing.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 07:24:57 AM »

80 lb touch line is great.  I get a rare black lash and a long hard cast with a 4 oz weigth will not break my 80lb tough line.  Also the swivel on my betty usually breaks before I snap off a leader saver and 15 feet of leader when i am snagged.   I have not snapped off a leader saver this year. 

Leader...I use 30lb maxima UG.  Flourocarbon is an absolute waste and totally pointless in the fraser fishery.  Stick to a cheap leader material because after 3-4 hrs of bouncing, you will probably need to retie each end.  12lb leader on the frasr is a joke.  6-8lb fish with the fraser at there sided and you will not be able to control that fish also one cast or bad bounce where you ball hammers your line and 12 would be reduced to nothing.  I have seen my 30 lb leaders flatten out from being crushed against a rock but it was strong enuff to keep fishing.

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 09:53:15 AM »

This is a good question, with great responses. If you are poor like me and have 1 reel/spool, and you go between the Vedder and the Fraser Rivers, you need to be flexible. On the Vedder I use Maxima  25lb main with 15 lb leader. When the sockeye season opens on the Fraser, I take off the mono, put on 65 lb powerline (tuffline is too stiff IMO) and use the 25 lb Maxima for my leader. Considering how many snags you will encounter in the Fraser (depending on location) you want to have something stronger so that you can pull away from those snags. Even then, I still lose 2-3 leaders an outing. Those leader protectors at $2 a pop I think are unnecessary. Your leader will get stretched and weakened and break eventually and your protector will get lost in a snag as well. Use one if you pull it out of the river , but I wouldn't buy one. Keep you leader length to 3 arm spans. Those 20 ft leader guys might as well buy their fish and get off the river. In the wind it is absolutely dangerous.
The only easy day was yesterday