Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boating Victoria to Port Renfrew  (Read 3745 times)

G-Ratt

Boating Victoria to Port Renfrew
« on: August 21, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »

Hey all,

I'm heading over to the Island for a fishing trip with a few buddies. We were thinking of mooring in Victoria, but judging by the reports the fishing there has been slow.

Port Renfrew looks like a better option, as the reports have been much more positive, but I've never made the trip over there from Victoria.

I was wondering if anybody knows how long the journey would take? And if there are any concerns making that trip? I've tried searching for this info, with no luck.

We will be on a 38 footer, cruising speed about 11-14 knots in protected waters.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

pbish

Re: Boating Victoria to Port Renfrew
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 02:20:04 PM »

Why not dock in Port Renfrew? There are marinas there also in Sooke.

96XJ

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 03:22:18 PM »

"I'm heading over to the Island for a fishing trip with a few buddies."

Maybe better apres fishing options in Victoria than Port Renfrew ?

spoiler

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:57:40 AM »

you should just fish in the Sooke area. My brother was there on the weekend and he did really well on Springs! Lots of big Pinks around as well.

G-Ratt

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 03:03:49 PM »

"I'm heading over to the Island for a fishing trip with a few buddies."

Maybe better apres fishing options in Victoria than Port Renfrew ?

We are definitely going to spend the first night in Victoria because of this exact reason.  ;D

That's why I was wondering how difficult the journey around the South Coast of the island would be.

Interesting that Sooke is heating up. That would be a much easier option.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 03:42:48 PM »

Hey all,

I'm heading over to the Island for a fishing trip with a few buddies. We were thinking of mooring in Victoria, but judging by the reports the fishing there has been slow.

Port Renfrew looks like a better option, as the reports have been much more positive, but I've never made the trip over there from Victoria.

I was wondering if anybody knows how long the journey would take? And if there are any concerns making that trip? I've tried searching for this info, with no luck.

We will be on a 38 footer, cruising speed about 11-14 knots in protected waters.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

I'm going to out on a limb here and stick my nose where it doesn't belong, but a quick look at Google Maps showed me that Port Renfrew is about 100 km from Victoria via water, that equates to 53 nautical miles, which works out to 5 hours at your lowest speed in protected waters. However Port Renfrew is not in protected waters and a good chunk of your trip is Pacific Ocean, not Juan de Fuca.

Are there any concerns making that trip, you ask? Just that a fisherman who is considering taking his boat on such a significant trip, without local knowledge, doesn't have charts (online or paper) to plot a course and calculate nautical distances, and relies on some knob (me) from a fishing forum to Google it.

If you haven't already, check out sportfishingbc.com (sorry Rod) for a very active southern Vancouver Island tidal fishing community. They should have solid boating information for you.

If I have completely misconstrued the situation, my apologies, and I'll stick my nose where it really belongs...

Shinny

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 07:23:29 PM »

Are there any concerns making that trip, you ask? Just that a fisherman who is considering taking his boat on such a significant trip, without local knowledge, doesn't have charts (online or paper) to plot a course and calculate nautical distances, and relies on some knob (me) from a fishing forum to Google it.

The Navionics app is pretty stellar for $20. Gives you charts and distances, harzards and markers and any other relevant info. You get a free week trial so bring an iPad/iPhone or android equivalent and download the app and give it a go.....gps will work even if you don't have cell service...does for me at least.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 10:22:50 AM »

Becher Bay is a great spot. 2 marinas and a few good spots to anchor. It is a great fishing area also. I have stopped in there many times on my trips around the island. The wind tends to pick up in the afternoons but the bay protects you from a west wind very well. I agree with Shinny. I use navionics as a back up on my phone. Only draw back is that cell service is scketchy around that area.
  As far as Port Renfrew goes, I only stop there when weather permits it. Also anchoring is about your only option.
  Anther handy site I use.  :) Click on the zone you are in.
http://weather.gc.ca/marine/region_e.html?mapID=02
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:38:27 AM by Fisherbob »

Old Blue

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 11:57:13 AM »

Navionics does not require cell service while using it, just download the maps ahead of time and run in airplane mode on the water