Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: slow start to the pink season  (Read 3151 times)

chrisc54

slow start to the pink season
« on: August 09, 2017, 12:21:09 AM »

I fished below the mamquam mouth on the squamish on the weekend, and in comparison to other years, wow was it slow. I was there for only 3 hours as thats all i had time wise. No one was hooking up, one guy float fishing had a couple keeping his limit of one. I snagged 2 chrome males in the back and released both of course, hooked one and lost it at shore, then lost another as it tangled itself around a log and broke off, i fished pink spoons and pink jigs. Nice looking fish but they really didnt seem eager, considering how packed it got by the time i left people really werent nailing them like most years

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: slow start to the pink season
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 07:54:43 AM »

I'd agree that compared to RECENT seasons, the pink fishery on the Squamish has been slow.  By recent, I mean 2011, 2013, and 2015.  However, compared to 2005 - 2009, this fishery has been much better! This season seems similar to 1999 and 2001.  If I recall correctly, there was a limit of one pink per day during the 1999, 2001, and 2003 seasons.  The 2003 season was very good.  However, I'm going by my (aging) memory now.  I would rate this season as "average" so far if I consider the range to be 1999 - 2017.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:56:39 PM »

I'd agree that compared to RECENT seasons, the pink fishery on the Squamish has been slow.  By recent, I mean 2011, 2013, and 2015.  However, compared to 2005 - 2009, this fishery has been much better! This season seems similar to 1999 and 2001.  If I recall correctly, there was a limit of one pink per day during the 1999, 2001, and 2003 seasons.  The 2003 season was very good.  However, I'm going by my (aging) memory now.  I would rate this season as "average" so far if I consider the range to be 1999 - 2017.

That's what I thought until yesterday, when I got a call from a buddy who says they had tremendous success fishing the incoming tide on the North shore. I have to give it a try this weekend.

Birkenhead

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:40:50 PM »

I fished below the mamquam mouth on the squamish on the weekend, and in comparison to other years, wow was it slow.

Lots of interesting info, speculation etc in this existing 23 page pink Salmon thread. By time you have done reading it all, maybe the pinks will be in by then. :o

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=40862.0

chrisc54

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 02:09:18 PM »

Fly fishing magician I meant to compare it to the last couple pink years, I never really fished pinks much in my younger days. I remember the last 3 seasons were great unlike this one being mediocre at best

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 02:34:02 PM »

So far the season has been good to me and getting stronger every day.  Just seems late is all.

chrisc54

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »

Well sadly I have only been able to get out for a few hours once this weekend! Still a fun day, just not as many hook ups as usual

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 04:22:52 PM »

That's what I thought until yesterday, when I got a call from a buddy who says they had tremendous success fishing the incoming tide on the North shore. I have to give it a try this weekend.
Lol, let me guess you're fishing the Squamish River this weekend?   ;D