Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adipose found on the C/V  (Read 6566 times)

Bandit420

Adipose found on the C/V
« on: September 30, 2012, 11:41:31 AM »

Well, a week ago fishing the vedder system, i decided to check out a more congested part of the vedder. i found a nice rock to perch on and as i was looking down, something catches my eye. i reach down and pick up what looks to me as a wild coho adipose  >:(. i know it was a coho adipose because i have caught MANY wild coho in my days. the adipose was clean cut off clearly cut by a knife or scissors. i was rather shocked as i have never seen this before on any other system.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Adipose found on the C/V
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 12:20:31 PM »

Strange, since it is obviously illegal and won't fool any CO or even a cursory examination from a knowledgeable fisher.

hookR

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 04:24:54 PM »

I seen someone do that at the stave just before he packed up to leave

Dogbreath

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 08:28:21 PM »

In a hatchery ditch like the CV system chances are it's not a wild fish at all just an unmarked hatchery slug like all the others.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 02:26:57 PM »

In a hatchery ditch like the CV system chances are it's not a wild fish at all just an unmarked hatchery slug like all the others.

No, contrary to what many incorrectly believe, hatcheries are very diligent in ensuring EVERY single fish they release is clipped. Of course one or two may fall into the pipe unclipped at the clipping table, but the chances of those fish surviving to come back as quasi-wild adults is low. it is fair to say the 'wild' fish may be only once removed from their hatchery parents, but they are still wild and should be regarded as such.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 02:27:09 PM »

Schenley

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 05:42:30 PM »

No, contrary to what many incorrectly believe, hatcheries are very diligent in ensuring EVERY single fish they release is clipped

Ummmm-- no!  Check your facts. Only a small proportion get tagged now

dnibbles

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 06:32:47 PM »

No, contrary to what many incorrectly believe, hatcheries are very diligent in ensuring EVERY single fish they release is clipped

He didn't say tagged, he said clipped. The Ghost is correct.

I think the C/V may surprise folks as to how many "true" wild fish there actually are still.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 06:34:26 PM »

Perhaps fewer salmon are being implanted with CWT's but hatcheries in BC adipose clip all coho and steelhead - other species like chum and chinook are also clipped and tagged but not necessarily all.  There are others on this board that can address this ongoing misinformation issue better than I.

Oops, nibs beat me to it ;D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 12:01:29 AM »

Nibs knows what he is talking about.  Thanks for the clarification.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 11:06:20 PM »

It is my understanding that chinook and chum salmon both do not get clipped as they are seldom held for long enough to warrant a clip. i have never seen a clipped chinook or chum on the rivers that i fish, but to be fair I haven't been fishing for as long as some of you guys here, so maybe someone can confirm this...?  ???

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 11:30:19 PM »

Never seen a clipped chum, but have encountered my share of clipped springs.

dnibbles

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 07:51:11 AM »

It is my understanding that chinook and chum salmon both do not get clipped as they are seldom held for long enough to warrant a clip. i have never seen a clipped chinook or chum on the rivers that i fish, but to be fair I haven't been fishing for as long as some of you guys here, so maybe someone can confirm this...?  ???

There are definitely clipped chinook. If a Chinook has an AFC, it means it also has a coded wire tag so you should definitely be turning the head into a head depot (if you keep it, of course). 

There are 2 hatcheries that apply AFCs to a few of their chum. The odds of you ever encountering one are very slim (more likely to bump into a naturally missing AFC).

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 08:18:10 AM »

It looks like some you guys haven't spent any time clipping coho at the Chilliwack hatchery.
Maybe it's time you do.  ;)

Bandit420

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 12:48:24 PM »

As for the "wild" fish on the system, every coho that i encounter that has an adipose is considered wild to me and is returned with care.The hatchery is funded by our dollars so i would think they take care in clipping all the coho. Unless your a volunteer that pretendss to clip fish and throw them in :P.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!