Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 297637 times)

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2013, 04:26:37 PM »

was out for about an hour today got 4 all released, this is the nicest of the bunch.  from the chilliwack area

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2013, 04:54:41 PM »

new run size 24 million. but open for seiners and gill nets at the mouth area.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »

was out from 2 to 4 and was into 3 in richmond.

Dude

« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »

Was out in richmond  from 2pm-4pm saw lots of jumpers and risers, there was small schools moving in with the incoming tide for sure, saw one missed and one guy landed one on his first cast.  I got skunked, few more days should be alot more pinks in the river. 

ipaqanipaq

« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2013, 06:21:48 PM »

I'm heading out there this afternoon with the kids for the much anticipated annual first day of school fishing trip.  It would be great for them to catch their first pinks today.  Will report on what we saw when we get home.

We ended up at Derby Reach from 2-4.  There were lots of fish jumping and about 10 fishers that I could see.  We saw one fish landed, one fish brought to shore and lost, one hit that was lost.  The tide was low and just starting to rise so we were there a bit too early.  I'd be interested in hearing how the evening fishing is.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2013, 06:26:09 PM »

why is it everyone thinks that high tide is the best ?

I can see why this would be down in Richmond near the mouth of the river but once the fish pass there they have committed to going upstream. tide means nothing then

I actually find the downward, slack and for a bit of upgoing tide the best around the Golden Ears bridge areas. I notice that once the tide has reached half of its up and higher that the fish push way out into the middle of the river because the current isn't nearly as strong against them as it is during low tide which pushes them close to shore

my observations over the past several cycles of pinks
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

ipaqanipaq

« Reply #141 on: September 03, 2013, 06:49:48 PM »

why is it everyone thinks that high tide is the best ?

I can see why this would be down in Richmond near the mouth of the river but once the fish pass there they have committed to going upstream. tide means nothing then

I actually find the downward, slack and for a bit of upgoing tide the best around the Golden Ears bridge areas. I notice that once the tide has reached half of its up and higher that the fish push way out into the middle of the river because the current isn't nearly as strong against them as it is during low tide which pushes them close to shore

my observations over the past several cycles of pinks

That's interesting, Hook.  I'll keep checking different tides but have understood that there is a real tidal influence and that the fish come into the river on the rising tide, at least in the early stages of a run.  Maybe I've misunderstood that or maybe it isn't true.  Certainly I noticed that the fish were close to the shore as water was lower and moved out as water got a bit higher.  Is that what you're saying?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:56:03 PM by ipaqanipaq »

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »

my observation is that I like to fish at the start of the income tide till it crest's ! last Sun the fish were close to shore and the spot we anchored in , was the traveling lane for the fish ! most of all my hook ups happened right next to the boat ! we anchored there cause that is were everyone else anchored ! everyone around us was casting out towards the middle of river not catching ! I was casting to the back of boat and the front ! oh yah.... retrieve was real slow !

wjlz

« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2013, 08:26:43 PM »

Went to brownsville park today between 3:30-5:30 PM.
There were 15-20 people standing on rocks to fish. Saw 4 or 5 fish landed before 4:00. Then did not see any fish.
Today's high tide is at 6:00. Some one said high tide may not be the best, my case may be an example.

No bite for me. This is my first time fishing salmon.
Is it too early for this pink season, or this year is a "small" year?

Zackattack

« Reply #144 on: September 03, 2013, 08:48:45 PM »

Was out in richmond  from 2pm-4pm saw lots of jumpers and risers, there was small schools moving in with the incoming tide for sure, saw one missed and one guy landed one on his first cast.  I got skunked, few more days should be alot more pinks in the river.

I believe I was right beside you haha. big guy, white plaid shirt, nucks hat.
Ya that guy that got it on first cast was lucky, school disappeared right after that and that was it. haha

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2013, 08:54:21 PM »

My stepfather in Campbell river said everything there is behind about 2 weeks but TONS of fish!! Maybe its possible because of the water temps they are just a little late?

I have a feeling next weekend and the next two after that will be the MAIN 3 week period of pinks ( In my observations over the years pinks have about a good 3 week window )

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #146 on: September 03, 2013, 09:10:46 PM »

Fished the last bit of the incoming tide near Pitt Meadows. Saw lots of fish and two buddies each got a beaut. From shore the second half of incoming is always the time, and a bit into the dropping when its deeper into the season, for me anyway.Mid month is more or less the peak/
Hopefully we have a big run for a change~~

sgodwin

« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2013, 09:21:07 PM »

I've now fished at Sapperton Landing (just east of the Pattullo) for four days in a row without any luck.  I've only seen three fish brought in over four days, with ~30 people there each day.  Been there for the last 2 hours of the incoming tide three times and the first 2 hours of the outgoing tide once.

I'm reading that people are seeing fish elsewhere.  This is my first year fishing the Fraser pink run - does anyone have any recommendations for me?  Change location?  Change time?  Sit tight and wait for them to come?  Thanks in advance!

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2013, 09:32:15 PM »

wall of pinks !

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10151858048881011" width="1280" height="960" frameborder="0"></iframe>

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2013, 09:33:32 PM »

This is my first year fishing the Fraser pink run - does anyone have any recommendations for me?  Change location?  Change time?  Sit tight and wait for them to come?  Thanks in advance!

Just wait a few more days until the main run comes in...