Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Define locally  (Read 25749 times)

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
Re: Define locally
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2020, 12:25:11 PM »

Apologizes, then makes excuses.

Never fails lol...

Robert_G

« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2020, 01:01:49 PM »

Apologizes, then makes excuses.

Never fails lol...

Im not sure one could act more pathetic than to make a post like you just did.

I apologized and I meant it. Is that not good enough for you oh perfect one?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2020, 04:30:25 PM »

thanks for the long explanation
You're very welcome sts. Although somehow I doubt the sincerity of your gratitude :)

stsfisher

« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2020, 04:33:40 PM »

You're very welcome sts. Although somehow I doubt the sincerity of your gratitude :)
😎👍

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2020, 06:32:04 PM »

as I said above ... it looks like the restart BC program will park the argument until late next fall when the 2nd Wave (Alvin Toffler anyone) arrives.

Let's hope this is not the case or the argument may reoccur  annually much like the sockeye flossing debate.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2020, 06:59:34 PM »

Since I am "anyone", I guess can respond. For several reasons:
* In the guidelines, fishing and hunting are treated together i.e. "Fish and hunt locally" 

if I say "apple and oranges" is it the word 'and' that makes them the same? Much like 'man and woman'. Now they are the same?

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2020, 10:31:39 PM »

if I say "apple and oranges" is it the word 'and' that makes them the same? Much like 'man and woman'. Now they are the same?
I feel like this is a trick question. Kind of like playing chess..."I know there's a trap here, I just can't see it yet" :)

No, the "and" doesn't make them the same. Apples and oranges are different fruit, men and women are different genders and hunting and fishing are different activities.

However, by being consistently linked together in all of the gov't publications and guidelines and NGO publications, that suggests that hunting and fishing, while different, are being treated in the same manner.

So when the Province  releases Fishing and Hunting guidelines, and we are asked to fish and hunt locally, and fish and hunt this way and fish and hunt that way, when the Province releases a def'n of hunting locally, it seems reasonable that the same def'n of local also applies to fishing. Kind of like a transitive law logic.

Also the BCWF has published FAQs https://bcwf.bc.ca/hunting-and-angling-during-covid-19-faq/

One Q is "What does it mean when the government (or Public Health Office) says to hunt or angle locally?

A: While there is currently no definition, it is best to use common sense.  The PHO does not want people travelling to or using services in other communities.

The BCWF suggests hunting and fishing to areas you can leave your house and return the same day without having to stop to purchase any supplies such as fuel or food.

The last sentence sounds remarkably similar to the Province's guidelines for hunting.

Granted, the BCWF is NOT the PHO but they have been working hand in hand to bring clarity and guidance to the the province's hunters and anglers. To me, another piece of evidence that "local" can be interpreted the same for hunting and fishing.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2020, 10:41:06 PM »

No way I can drive to Hope without stopping. Most days I can't make it to Chilliwack. Are the Sumas Rest stop washrooms closed?  ;D
Not uncommon among men of your...maturity.

No wonder you define "local" as your neighbourhood. That's as far as you can get without having to go wee. :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2020, 08:14:46 AM »

Not uncommon among men of your...maturity.

the word is old.

In the current pandemic I think a lot about my wife's Grandparents. They lived through the 30s and WW2. Her grandfather (Papa) was a youth in WW1 and by WW2 was running a business that was considered strategically significant so could neither be drafted or join the services. Papa loved to fish. He built his business through the 30s and then came WW2. I use to enjoy talking to him about fishing around BC in the 1st half of the last century. He had fishing  memories going back to around 1913 or so. He didn't fish much in the 30s because there was his business and many other people had nothing so Papa and Nana did what they could. It wasn't unusual for people to give 'vagrants' a meal or 2 and a place to sleep for a night. He also said very few people did any fishing during the war. Most young men and many women had enlisted while for others there was lots of work to be done for the war effort, with long days and short weekends. Then there was gas rationing so he couldn't even obtain gas to go bar fishing out in Langley. That lasted well into '46...so he basically went about 6 years without fishing at all. That was common.

It seems some people can't even go a few weeks. We have no idea what hardship and sacrifice are. I could wax philosophical on this but will leave it at that.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 05:09:19 PM by RalphH »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2020, 08:44:43 AM »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2020, 09:55:45 AM »

Most of the people who outta read that are currently out of town on their May long weekend fishing trip!

Seriously it's more mixed messaging. What's needed is something more specific like a radius of travel that meets the directive.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2020, 10:15:48 AM »

I think they do it know that most people will follow it and know some will not but as long as they get a general compliance there okay with it.

The government seems to do stuff like that Where it relies on the goodie good people that follow the rules.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:19:24 AM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2020, 12:04:20 PM »

I think they do it know that most people will follow it and know some will not but as long as they get a general compliance there okay with it.

The government seems to do stuff like that Where it relies on the goodie good people that follow the rules.

True. There was one Dr I heard at the start of the pandemic who said if there was 50 to 60% compliance that would be enough to flatten the curve.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2020, 02:48:34 PM »

True. There was one Dr I heard at the start of the pandemic who said if there was 50 to 60% compliance that would be enough to flatten the curve.

If 50-60% of anglers picked up trash when they went out fishing, it would be enough to offset the damage caused by litterbugs :P

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2020, 02:24:05 PM »

Most of the people who outta read that are currently out of town on their May long weekend fishing trip!

Seriously it's more mixed messaging. What's needed is something more specific like a radius of travel that meets the directive.

I agree.

I am spending the weekend off the 24 and its very quiet. Although I did see the odd xamper in an official rec site, all the resorts i have seen are jammed pack including Eagle Island Resort where I am. You'd swear there wasn't any guidelines set out by the province up here. Community washrooms and full on, kids running around, pretty normal May long to me ( feels nice ). I seriously doubt everyone here in a "Local". The only place where I felt like there is a pandemic going on is the little fly shop in Little Fort. As soon as I opened the door a bottle of hand sanitizer was shoved in my face. I'd say fishing uo here this May Long is down 80% from years past. Very quiet except for the lodges.