Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vacuum sealing  (Read 8062 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Vacuum sealing
« on: August 16, 2011, 09:24:03 AM »

what does everyone use? and how long does it take to seal one bag approximately? i've been waiting about 30 minutes so far for just ne bag to be done im using a food saver, white one it was 150 bucks...

is this normal? what is a good one thats not too expensive?

Sir Snag-A-Lot

Re: Vacuum sealing
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 09:30:24 AM »

It should take seconds.  Manual seal one end, put your fish in, then vacuum seal the other end.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:50:05 AM »

It should take seconds.  Manual seal one end, put your fish in, then vacuum seal the other end.

X2

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:57:17 AM »

what does everyone use? and how long does it take to seal one bag approximately? i've been waiting about 30 minutes so far for just ne bag to be done im using a food saver, white one it was 150 bucks...

is this normal? what is a good one thats not too expensive?

The foodsaver should work fine. The problem you may be having is that the end of the bag was not sealed properly before you started to do the vacuuming stage. If in doubt do a double seal on the bottom of the bag. Also make sure you clean the opening of the bag before you do the final seal. Any food particles or moisture could prevent the bag from sealing properly.

With a foodsaver you get what you pay for. The cheaper the unit the more potential sealing problems you may have.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 07:33:12 AM »

Ditto what everyone else stated.  After using it for a while, you'll recognize the sounds that it makes when it:
- initially draws out the air
- pump sound changes when very little air remaining
- finally when the sealer kicks in.

Most of the times when that problem occurs, I'll seal the other end again and try again.  Sometimes I have to trim some of the open end edge (half inch).

If the unit cannot draw out the air to create a partial vacuum - it cannot seal.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:32:26 PM »

man this thing is frustrating me....it makes a very loud noise when i press the vacuum and seal button, and it doesnt automatically seal it, i have to press the seal button...

its really loud and it doesnt suck it all out properly, theres a bit of air left after 30 mins and i still seal it 3 times manually!

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 10:46:01 PM »

I use a zipvac.  Works great
- John A.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 07:27:39 AM »

man this thing is frustrating me....it makes a very loud noise when i press the vacuum and seal button, and it doesnt automatically seal it, i have to press the seal button...

its really loud and it doesnt suck it all out properly, theres a bit of air left after 30 mins and i still seal it 3 times manually!

What model of sealer are you using? Are you using the recommended bags? It may be time for a new sealer.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 08:11:43 AM »

I agree - it should not be that difficult to use.  Perchance - like a car - you have a lemon.  Have you tried to 'bag' anything else - something dry perchance?
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 03:27:58 PM »

Same problem with my 8 month old Food Saver. I double seal both ends but mine will not properly suck out any air. I'm quite disappointed that it hasn't even lasted a year.

I've found a temporary work around: I plug in the canister hose while the machine is running and I suck the air out myself through the hose. It works great, just seems a little silly.

ali2pali

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 10:57:03 PM »

Food savers do seem to be pretty crappy. We bought our first one and it sucked (or didn't suck actually) so we took it back and got a new one. The new one also had the same problem(s). They don't seem to take much air out, if they even work at all. I found that slightly loosening/pulling up lightly on the soft black piece sometimes creates a better seal. Pressing on top of the unit while it is pulling out the air may also help.

doja

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 12:12:58 AM »

Maybe it's not sealing properly and the loud sound is it trying to suck all the air out but failing to do so and keeps trying, whether it is the machine or improper seal...

My biggest lesson is don't be cheap and leave a good size flap (3" I believe) that you insert as failing to do so can result in fluids effecting the suction or just issues.

Also make sure all is clean and nothing is effecting the seal either.

Mine works fine.... after figuring things out.

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 08:05:03 AM »

I`ve had a food saver for a long time now and I have never had a problem--just make sure that the area that you are going to seal is clean-the major problem that often can happen is when you do not bend the end of the bag down into the depression that runs the full length behind the sealing heat strip. That is the area that actually sucks the air out. If you do not follow this step your bag will seal but will not suck the air out to vacuum pack the product. The other hint that I can add is if you have a juicy item that you wish to vacuum pack simply lay a small strip of paper towel along the top of the product in the bag so that the towel traps the moisture before the machine sucks the juice up into the sealing area. Like I stated-I have never had a problem with this machine in any way.