Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Year in Review  (Read 8307 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Year in Review
« on: December 05, 2015, 05:47:09 PM »

Like many of us experience, as we get older we all have more and more responsibilities in life that keep us off of our favourite body of water, or keep us away from writing reports. Instead of writing weekly reports and reading some of Everyday’s awesome write ups, I decided I would put together a “Year in Review” report when my studying free's up a little bit. This year, I decided it was a good idea to keep a detailed journal of my entire year and have it as a reference for each year. I thought this idea would be a good way to reflect on a stellar year, talk a bit about what I have learned and the tails I had the chance to shake hands with. This is all my personal views and thoughts on the year from what I experienced in these last 12 months with a few personal observations and a little bit of gear talk. It is going to come out in increments due to the large size of the file.  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 06:40:11 PM by BCfisherman97 »

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: Year in Review
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 05:47:33 PM »

Winter Steelhead

With my new found love of twitching jigs for Coho, I really wanted to put it to the test with the square tails. Early January was a bust for me, especially because I was exploring new areas and I wasn’t able to get out too much, but the time I did manage to get out of the river, I saw a few fish caught by the same few guys and also managed to get stuck in some mud! So here is a nice reminder to be careful of where you walk.

Now here is something you don't see every day, duck caught on a worm!

As February rolled around, I managed to get my first on a big prawn. A nice 8-10 pound hatchery doe in some pocket water behind a boulder. Being the first fish of the year, I set her free. With a pretty dismal February, I wasn’t able to dial into the fish due to lack of time on the river. With February almost over, I decided I would make my last trip of the month and maybe hook up. As I approached the run, a fellow angler that frequented the river had already bonked his fish and was getting ready to leave, mentioning that he had hooked several on roe bags in the tail out. As he was leaving, his cleardrift float fell out of his vest and I managed to pick it up and run over to his car to give it to him. He told me to keep it, might bring me some luck this year. Well, as I walked back to the run, I put on some roe and started drifting it. Switched through every bait I had and couldn’t get a sniff. I was just about to pack it in, but knowing that there are some fish in the run kept me casting. I decided to take off my float rig and tie my favourite twitching jig on. With no spinning rod on me, I tied it directly to my 15 pound mainline. Seeing that spooky coho react very well to twitched jigs time and time again, I really wanted to see how steelhead would take to a well presented jig. First cast, a little short, not down deep enough and out of the zone. Second cast, perfect, 5-6 twitches and my rod almost yanked out of my hand. One of the most aggressive takes I have ever experienced. Out came my second hatchery fish of the year and on my favourite method. Nice thick tail on this fish, making a very great fight. 

As the year progressed and I was able to get out to the rivers a lot in March (especially over spring break) and really key into where fish were sitting. Averaged about 2-3 fish on each trip in March, and had several 5+ fish days, with my best being a nice 8 fish day. Nothing like fresh, crisp Fraser Valley mornings with the river to your disposal. A lot of my fish came on fresh boraxed steelhead roe with a handful on blades. But the real killer was blue and black or black and red twitching jigs. Could not count how many times I hooked fish behind guys that have been pounding runs float fishing just by twitching jigs. The reaction that steelhead would have to an aggressive bait like a jig was truly amazing.  A lot of spey guys used to tell me how steelhead sometimes snap their tippets on the initial take, and after experiencing some takes on these jigs, I was a firm believer of that.
Another thing that really worked will for me, especially later in the season when fish would were seeing a lot of the standard baits was silver colorado blades. I would always carry my spinning rod and my pin. At first light, I would run a blade or spinner on my spinning rod through a run before drifting any roe and most of the time managed a fish or two within the first 10 casts. Like coho, the steelhead liked to chase and reacted well to a more aggressive bait when they didn’t want roe, especially when the weather was warming up.
For anyone looking to get into twitching or a good spinning set up for salmon or steelhead in general, I would run 10-pound PowerPro braid directly connected to a 5-foot section of 8-pound mono. Rod length really helps detect those initial pick ups when twitching. I used to miss a lot of fish or be really late on the hook set because I couldn’t feel that initial bump when they hit it on the drop. It wasn’t until I picked up again that I could feel the fish. I recently bought a 9’ Trophy Tackle Coho Special spinning rod and you can really tell the difference with the extra length. In terms of jigs, I like blue and black (go to for coho and a good steelhead jig) or a red and black “nightmare” jig (killer for steelhead). I usually tie them on ¼ bent rods lead heads. Strong hooks with heads that can take a beating.
Highlight of the season had to be about an 18-pound wild buck on a blade. Hooked it in a weird part of the river and had to pass the rod back and fourth with a buddy around trees about a half kilometer down river. But in all honesty, I was more than surprised how well steelhead responded to twitched jigs and it will be one of my main choices for this coming season. Here are a few pictures of a couple from the steelhead season.

This girl got chewed up pretty bad

Here is another on a twitched jig

Here is my favourite fish of the year, sight fished with an awesome picture at the end

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 08:20:59 PM by BCfisherman97 »

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 05:48:39 PM »

April-May

With steelhead winding down and the weather warming up, my local lake started to produce good size bass to play with. Here the first one of the year and many more like it were caught throughout the spring and fall. With May and June being very busy for me, I wasn’t able to get out too much but looked forward to the summer.

One of my most enjoyable fisheries is twitching jigs and spoons for big bulls and cutties in the spring. Every year we make it out to my favourite bull trout river and its always a good time with very consistent fishing. Here are a few of my favourite shots from May.
One hungry Bull

One of many pretty cutties

July

Being off on vacation for the second half of July through to the second week of August, I only had a limited time to fish the start of the summer. A nice trip to the interior for my favourite dry fly fishery showed some rather impressive high flying boys on both stoneflies and hopper patterns. This year was relatively slow on the dry fly, with only a few to hand. But the indicator and stonefly action was out of this world. A few 4+ pound fish made for a good fight on the 4wt when I unfortunately did not have my phone on me.

Being an odd year, the entire lower mainland was looking forward to the first push of pinks. This year, the ocean fishery seemed to start a little earlier and was relatively good in terms of crowds (guessing not many people know how good the fishing really was early on). Here a few shots from the beaches starting around the 10th of July. Lots of chinooks around this year too, managed to hook 3 but they were absolute knuckle busters in the ocean but a really tough fight on the 7wt switch rod.

August-September

Coming back from Europe with a big itch to go catch a few fish, I headed to Squamish to satisfy my month long craving before we headed off to fish for some summer chinooks.

Here was a mainstem Squamish chinook that took me well down river. Had the river all to myself that evening. Shortly after this shot, I had one heck of a run in with a bear.

It was finally time for arguably my favourite fishery of the year and it really did not disappoint this year. Ill let the pictures speak for themselves.

Had close to 100+ fish days with some very good friends for a few weeks. Entertaining fishery with some amazing eating quality fish.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 08:23:58 PM by BCfisherman97 »

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 06:05:09 PM »

August-September Continued

On the way back from one of my trips, we stopped to twitch some jigs for pinks down in the lower canal, and amongst the madness I managed to land my earliest Vedder coho on September 4th which was pretty exciting, a small 5-pound wild buck but didn't get the greatest picture.

With so much salmon, we decided it would be a fun time to hit the mighty muddy to see if we could tie into some sturgeon and see a few jumps. Sadly, I didn’t put in the time this year into the sturgeon fishery but I did manage a good number the few times I did get out.

In terms of early coho, my first solid day of coho fishing was September 29th, where I saw the first decent push of coho, but like the rest of this year, they were really small. Only got 7-8 before the chinooks rolled in but nothing over 3-4 pounds.

Early Fall October

Just as everyone else noticed, there was a lot of chinooks this year. With the lack of rain and low water alongside the large number of chinooks pushing through, the coho were really spooky. A lot of angling pressure in combination with the conditions and large number of chinooks made them fairly tough to catch for most people. There was a lot of talk about how poor the run was and how it isn’t good this year, when in fact people just didn’t adapt to the conditions (but I do agree, number and size was down but didn’t make for impossible fishing). Sure there was a lot of small fish early on, but the numbers were still pretty decent. Downsizing to 6-pound test leaders and getting away from the people and the chinooks was pretty key (for me anyways). My best days early in the season for coho was when I wasn’t hooking any chinooks at all. Here are a few of my early coho and chinooks. Out of the 4 chinooks I bonked in October, 2 were reds, 1 was a marble and the other was a white. Noticed a lot reds and marbles amongst other anglers too. Playing the tides was really important all year, but especially early on for coho. I liked fishing my favourite mid river holes at first light then moving down lower to catch the incoming tide or just fooling around with some chinooks later in the afternoon.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:42:22 PM by BCfisherman97 »

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 06:16:21 PM »

Mid to late October

Once the conditions started changing, fishing got easier and easier. But this meant it was time to start twitching jigs and save the messy hands. The second half of October was really good with a lot of limit days. Staying away from the chum and chinooks was still a really important part to successfully targeting coho. It did get a little trickier when that first big push of chum came through around the 16th-19th of October. Still a lot of small coho caught and nothing big. Got my first good sized limit of coho on the 24th. Playing the tides was not as important now because a lot of fish were stacking up in the upper lower end and the mid river. The tide was pushing in large numbers of chum at this point which made things a little tougher down low IMO.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 06:18:14 PM »

November

November was an absolutely unbelievable month of fishing, with many 15+ coho days. And the best part was, only a handful on roe. 95% of my fish in November were hit twitching jigs and a lot from pools that were pounded by roe all day. Here are a few pictures from early November all the way up to the last few days of the month, pretty well all on jigs. Again, just a spectacular month with no complaints, jigs just got the job done and out fished any other bait or lure by far each day. Coming into a runs time and time again that apparently “died down in the last few hours” only to go and hook 5-7 fish in 10 casts twitching jigs really shows how effective they are and I believe is the most effective method for targeting coho overall throughout the year.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 06:21:33 PM by BCfisherman97 »

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 06:21:54 PM »

Something everyone needs to have in their box:

Overall, the fall chinook run was the best I have personally even experienced, lots of fish caught by pretty much everyone, with a lot of marbles and reds mixed in if you compare it to previous years. As for coho, sure it did get tougher. Not as many fish, really low water at the start, high fishing pressure, lots of bigger fish bullying them around, and smaller average size of the coho. Everyone who adjusted their gear seemed to do well. Personally I ran 6 lb test all year (except when the water was high and ugly) and didn’t snap off any coho except a few due to snags or damaged line. Fish were on average smaller so 6 was good enough. Small split shots, small floats, size 2 hooks and 12-pound test main was my set up and it did seem to work. As for the chum, not as many as usual (from what I saw). Some rivers like the Chehalis were pretty well empty of them in November in some of the areas I fished.

With school coming to a close for the semester soon enough, I will be going out for some early steelhead and for sure making a few trips to target bulls with some beads until the year is over. I will add to this thread if I do get out a few times but until then, wish you all a happy upcoming holiday and a few handshakes with some steel, hope you guys enjoyed this little personal observational write up and maybe share some of your thoughts as well.
I ended up using that same float from February all through to November, guess it really did bring me luck!

Cheers! 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 08:18:11 PM by BCfisherman97 »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 12:11:50 AM »

Great write up! Thanks for that. I really like to see the recaps.

I have, for the most part, only started doing season recaps. Pictures/videos, even on my personal facebook are held back for weeks to months on the off chance that someone can recognize where they are from. I really feel this alleviates pressure, and it still allows anglers to share their experiences. It also throws people off on specific run timing (if you don't post specifics that is).

I for one really appreciate these blogs. I hope more people follow suite honestly - get some more recaps flowing (but cut out the bragging style reports that I so often see on here that lead to immediate high pressure) and more things to read. Even if the recaps aren't as extensive as yours or mine due to less time on the water, they are still cool to see and read! I really like seeing how other people's seasons went and what their observations were (yours was similar to mine as far as observations and success goes).

Cheers!

Outdoorsman

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 07:13:05 AM »

Thank you for taking the time to write all that and post the pictures. It was a pleasure to read, and always good to compare your year to someone else's. Nice to not read a "superhero" report, and to read one as if we were having a conversation. Thanks!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 09:08:48 AM »

Great write-up BCfisherman97!  My year was similar, but on a smaller scale as I don't believe I went out as much as you did (with two little kids nipping at my heels).  I esp. like your Sept shots with the red spring jacks.  Stratocaster and I only managed to get there once, but when we did, the fishing was spectacular.  Also, I remember meeting you in early October - you were walking out of the run with a beauty spring doe and a coho while we were walking in.  That day was a good day for coho - I remember limiting out but the coho were small.  Later that day after we met you, I released a couple of springs in the spot you were previously fishing.

I'm glad to see you slayed the coho in November!  We did OK, but wasted lots of time trying to explore the north side tribs.  I guess "waste of time" is not a good way to describe it.  But it was clearly unproductive.  One particular flow was extremely disappointing.  However, the last few weeks I've gone back to the fly and have done well for coho.  Yesterday I caught a coho hen that was bullet chrome with a belly as white as snow.  She did have an adipose, so I withdrew the fly from her mouth and released her without a photo.  She was one of the larger coho I've caught - I'd say 6 - 7 pounds.  I also released a couple of coloured up hatchery fish.

Anyway, thanks again for the report.  Great read and cool shots!   :)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 03:46:35 PM »

Was nice to meet you that day, glad you had a nice trip out. As for the North side, it was good early on, I was fortunate enough to hit a few large groups of unmolested fish a couple of times on the weekdays. Had a couple amazing days but then the hoards of guys started coming in and standing up to their hips where the fish were holding the previous days. Crazy how much pressure a few systems started to get in the last few years. Usually fish start to stack up as the season progresses but I somehow saw less and less fish as the year went on which was a little strange.

banx

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 06:49:44 AM »

thanks for taking the time to post that. some great pics.

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 09:07:29 AM »

yes definitely a great write up! and lots of photos which makes it even more entertaining.  Thanks!
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

Silex-user

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 05:05:54 PM »

Great fish stories and pictures. Do you ever consider getting fishing videos done like Rodney? I did lots of video taping of my son salmon fishing. I do'nt fished that much locally but take great pleasure in looking at all those salmon and steelhead pictures and stories. Thanks.

Silex-user

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 05:19:55 PM »

I do fool around a little bit with the Go Pro, but other than that I haven't done too much in terms of video (aside from some videos on my phone of course). I did get a lot of good bobber down footage this year but nothing even close to Rodney's quality of videos. Truth is, I just don't have the time to edit because I am a full time university student and work now. Maybe next year I was thinking of doing some underwater shots. There is a few slack water channels that connect to a main river with big fallen trees that always hold coho. I was thinking of placing a Go Pro from the opposite high bank then coming back and casting into it from the other side. I think it would make for some cool shots to show how coho react to jigs. Usually fishing alone makes this hard also. Would be nice to get some sight fishing for both steelhead and coho, jig twitching and bobber downs with some good quilting footage, especially at times where you can pretty much call your fish.