Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wood Lake, July 22nd & 23rd 2011: More kokanee  (Read 1599 times)

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
Wood Lake, July 22nd & 23rd 2011: More kokanee
« on: July 23, 2011, 05:52:43 PM »

Went out again yesterday and today for some kokanee fishing at Wood Lake in Winfield.  Was slower than the last trip but still managed to catch four yesterday and two today.
The fish are also a little smaller weighing in at 1.5-1.10 lbs instead of 1.6-2.20 lbs the last trip.
All fish were caught trolling wedding rings or dick nites with maggots.

Next trip next week will be trying to catch a large shuswap rainbow or char. Will keep you posted.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Wood Lake, July 22nd & 23rd 2011: More kokanee
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 06:44:31 PM »

Person's got to learn to leave them fish alone before it becomes a problem.  Are you using flashers in front of those W.R. and getting down deepish? Or just surface fishing? Tipping off the W.B.s with pink powerbait is a go to thing for me.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 03:54:07 PM »

Fishing with my father in law, son and daughter so we have two down deep at around thirty feet and one rod at on the surface.
Most fish caught on surface rod.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:28:04 AM »

--spring like weather so still fishing 2-3 oz weight or top 10 ft of water
--marking fish deep but not getting many bites at depth.
--I even sent for a book on how to catch bigger kokanee, can hardly wait to see if there is some super secret stuff in it.
--Was mailed out at least two weeks ago so I guess the boarder guards are reading it first as hasn't arrived yet. At this rate will have to apply the newest techniques next season.

--BCoutdoors magazine.. has I think already filmed a kokanee TV program to show this year, not sure when scheduled for air time.

--This unique fishery is arguably most popular and developed in California with Oregon, Washington but last and least in BC.
--The fishery has been ignored for years by MOE and now Gofish BC. I believe in part because of the many years of catch and release bias, whereas many kokanee fishers like to eat the critters they catch.
--Also a lack of understanding and respect for this feisty scrapper which so many who fish them appreciate and enjoy.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 01:12:02 PM »

Have you been to this site Skaha:

http://www.fishwithgary.com/kokaneeuniversity.html

I play around with my own lures and fasher, dodger, gang trolls combos. Have some time off next week to try out some of them. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 02:29:01 PM »

Have you been to this site Skaha:

http://www.fishwithgary.com/kokaneeuniversity.html

I play around with my own lures and fasher, dodger, gang trolls combos. Have some time off next week to try out some of them. :)

-- I have been using Gary's gear for a couple of years... he's changed some to the smaller dodgers to an S-curve blade rather than the sling blade that he still uses on his largest.
--The sling blades work very well especially at low speed... they look like a tired released fish swimming away and the trailing lure behind... action adjusted by how close it is to the sling blade...
- I agree with many of his general concepts for colour use and matching lures.. the bonus for tackle suppliers is the variety of rigs that work for kokanee depending on how you want to fish them and what size you target... everything from downrigger, electronic, temp gauges to willow leaf and worm... jigging and even fly fishing.
--some are content to use same rig all the time others like to break the bank on gear... lots of choice

--For those who choose there are several high pay out derby's in USA.. that's where the super secret gear gets developed, proved and copied for the masses.
--at the end of the day you will see familiar names at or near the top of the roster.

--think of it, even guiding on woods lk day in day out having to produce... for most of us we go there and either limit with good size fish in a Short while or write the day off as a bad day... the pressure comes from having to produce on each trip out.

--I tend to view it as fun not pressure but haven't been out much this season... not the weather just .. waiting for a part for my kicker.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 05:08:44 PM »

Because I mostly fly fish, sturgeon or steelhead, i wasn't familiar with the kokanee snubber. This seemed to help our catch percentage. Without a snubber we tended to lose more kokanee.
Just a tip to those who might not know what a kokanee snubber is.

Heading off to the shuswap tomorrow so i will give you a report in a couple of days. Sorry, I am on holidays for a month so I won't be able to post any pics until i get back.