Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wood Lake - Oyama  (Read 1005 times)

Hook-NM

Wood Lake - Oyama
« on: June 25, 2008, 10:27:15 PM »

My dad & I spent two days on the water last weekend trolling hardware to target kokanee with wedding bands and maggots. They're in the 1.5-2# range. Though there were lots of other hits we only got two in the boat and lost two. Their mouths are pretty small, so I assume they were often hitting the lure and spitting it out not being too excited about the taste of metal and plastic. My dad has had better luck there in the past getting his limit of two in 2-3 hours each day. They tend to be deep so a lot of weight is necessary - not my cup of tea, but when in Rome... It is deep ( 50-95' ) and they were in the 20'+ depth range. 80% of the activity was on a cut-down two leaf ford fender. The other willow leaf trolls just would'nt produce even with chage of wedding band colours.

I wanted to get up to the Dee Lake chain to try and wet the fly line but my wife didn't want to break camp or sit by the road side while we cruised the shoreline. Maybe another trip or when there's more time.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Wood Lake - Oyama
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 09:35:06 AM »

Definitely the case on some lakes that you have to go deep to produce. A fish finder will help to confirm this. Then break out the fast sinking line or leadcore, weights, downrigger whatever fills yur boots. Lakes like Birkenhead will only give up fish consistently by going 80 feet. I think Chilliwack lake can be considered the same. But what do I know?
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?