Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vicious Floro line  (Read 2856 times)

Suther

Vicious Floro line
« on: October 18, 2013, 10:34:06 AM »

Has anyone used Vicious Flourocarbon fishing line?

Amazon.ca sells it for $5 for 100 yards, seems like the perfect price point for some leader, but wondered if anyone else has any experience using it?

Cabela's seems to carry it too, and there is very mixed reviews on it there.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:37:18 AM by Suther »

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Vicious Floro line
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »

Cheap flouro is probably mono coated with flouro.

Usually used as a main line instead of leader.

Reviews say it is very stiff and will break if it gets a bend in it.

Suther

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 11:06:35 AM »

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00BK4LGB2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

This is the product. I now notice that it takes forever to ship, so Im not going to get it right now, but Im still interested in peoples' opinions because Im still interested in getting some later if its any good.

zap brannigan

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 11:25:59 AM »

If you buy cheap flouro you'll be turned off it forever, if you plan on trying it out spend the cash on the good stuff, seagaur is a favourite,but I've found stren to be pretty good as well.

Also be sure to lube all knots and tighten them down slowly to reduce friction burns, another tip is to check your leader line often especially after a fish abrasion is flouro's worst enemy.

MoeJKU

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »

If you buy cheap flouro you'll be turned off it forever, if you plan on trying it out spend the cash on the good stuff, seagaur is a favourite,but I've found stren to be pretty good as well.

Also be sure to lube all knots and tighten them down slowly to reduce friction burns, another tip is to check your leader line often especially after a fish abrasion is flouro's worst enemy.
You can also get some spit on your know before you tighten it for reduced friction. I agree Seagar is good, i've tried maxima and p-line. Like said just make sure its 100%  and you should be good to go. I'm using P-line right now

Suther

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 02:12:49 PM »

You can also get some spit on your know before you tighten it for reduced friction. I agree Seagar is good, i've tried maxima and p-line. Like said just make sure its 100%  and you should be good to go. I'm using P-line right now

P-line is pure floro? It was the second cheapest I saw. Really wanting whatever is cheap but not garbage.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 02:58:07 PM »

P-line is pure floro? It was the second cheapest I saw. Really wanting whatever is cheap but not garbage.

100% fluorocarbon

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 03:57:31 PM »

you probably not looking at P-line's 100% flouro if its crazy cheap. your probably looking at the copolymer coated with flouro. I bought some of that stuff and its pure crap for leaders. any tiny bit of abrasion and it fails miserably. Infact I haven't had any flouro be good for drift fishing because it cant take the abuse that mono can. Lake fishing however Frog Hair flouro is all I use
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RyanB

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 05:49:06 PM »

you probably not looking at P-line's 100% flouro if its crazy cheap. your probably looking at the copolymer coated with flouro. I bought some of that stuff and its pure crap for leaders. any tiny bit of abrasion and it fails miserably. Infact I haven't had any flouro be good for drift fishing because it cant take the abuse that mono can. Lake fishing however Frog Hair flouro is all I use

I hate P-line.  If it gets stretched too much in one direction it becomes a permanent tight coil or squiggle.  Ugh, terrible stuff.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

Suther

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »

Correct, I was looking at p-line flouro-coated stuff.

I still can't decide if I want to try this stuff or not - for the cost I think I will eventually. I figure it can't be any worse than the stren original Im using for leaders now, right?

Magz

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 01:49:18 PM »

I hate P-line.  If it gets stretched too much in one direction it becomes a permanent tight coil or squiggle.  Ugh, terrible stuff.
your rite it does do that so i switched to sea gar and it does the same thing.nature of flourocarbon i guess