Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Braid questions  (Read 15785 times)

Suther

Re: Braid questions
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 03:51:09 PM »

I like power pro...have had the stuff on some reels for 6+ years. 

If you are going to fish braid, please do the following: use a mono bumper.  Learn the albrieght knot or use a swivel.  Either way it sickens me to see people using braid down to the weight snapping off large amounts of line in the river.  Put on a 5-10 foot mono leader below the braid and you run that spool of braid for YEARS and you wont leave a lot of line on tyhe bottom if you snag up....

I will always use a mono or flouro leader,  although 5+ feet seems a bit long typically,  as I will be using a swivel at the end of the braid to minimize line twist.

What are good knots for braid to a swivel?

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 04:42:54 PM »

:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 10:13:41 AM »

----line like many other products can be from authorized producer that pay for quality fibre such as dymeena or spectra which are copy rite protected or they can be knock offs. Poor quality control other fibers mixed in or even the process of braiding can be different.
--on the other hand I get tired of larger companies that send their material overseas for processing, sell it at the same price as here then cry when it is copied and sold by the producers.

--if you take time to read the Paulus site you will see references to counterfit line being sold in some cases at such high volumes as to affect the reputation of legitimate companies.

Suther

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 10:40:53 AM »

----line like many other products can be from authorized producer that pay for quality fibre such as dymeena or spectra which are copy rite protected or they can be knock offs. Poor quality control other fibers mixed in or even the process of braiding can be different.
--on the other hand I get tired of larger companies that send their material overseas for processing, sell it at the same price as here then cry when it is copied and sold by the producers.

--if you take time to read the Paulus site you will see references to counterfit line being sold in some cases at such high volumes as to affect the reputation of legitimate companies.

Yeah, I did read the Paulus site, and it seems that the chinese braids are certainly inferior to the name-brands that cost 4 times as much. That being said, I dont need the woulds greatest line, I just need something that will hold up to some bar fishing the Fraser in Agassiz and Lilloet. Bigger diameter than stated is to be expected, even with name-brands it seems.

When it arrives, I will let everyone know my opinions on this line, but I have never used brand name braid to compare it to, so I can only say whether I like it or not, and how it performs for me.

Suther

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 11:01:50 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of8-LkQlkOU

So its just a Uni knot with two passes through the eye of the hook, rather than just one? Seems easy enough...

obie1fish

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 09:01:19 PM »

Besides the knot mentioned, I also use a modified paternoster knot, put through the loop a second time. When tying the mono leader, I double my braided line before tying the Albright knot. I feel more confident that the braid will not cut the mono or fluorocarbon as easily if doubled.

Suther

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 11:14:29 PM »

Besides the knot mentioned, I also use a modified paternoster knot, put through the loop a second time. When tying the mono leader, I double my braided line before tying the Albright knot. I feel more confident that the braid will not cut the mono or fluorocarbon as easily if doubled.

It seems any knot thats line-to-line is best doubled up. So I guess I need to get good with one of 'em, cause I can't just put a swivel where my backing meets my braid.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of connecting the leader with a swivel vs just tieing it to the main line? Line twist reduction of the swivel, but I dont like swivels going through my guides so it limits leader length, so thats an advantage for line-to-line... I dont know what else to think about though.

obie1fish

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 07:37:30 AM »

Sorry...that was Palomar, not paternoster for the knot. I double up the braided because it cuts so well (other line, fingers, etc.). As for swivel/ no swivel, there's no reason to have a swivel. Just make sure the knot's tied properly. Practice during a BC Lions' fumble. That should give you lots of time. :'(

Suther

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »

I like to use a swivel because I'm frequently chucking metal and don't like line twist. Usually have one right at the lure and another between mainline and leader.

But I guess if I'm float fishing I don't need one...

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »

w well tied albright shouldnt dig in and cut the month.  I have had snags break the mono before my albright knot failed.

I am often using 12 or 15 lb maxima UG that I loop over and then wrap the loop with my braid (30lb powerpro).  I'll use about 25 wraps but I think the key is to pull the knot out sa you synch it down.  I'll went the loop, pull the two braided lines one way and pull the knot out flat the opposite way.  When it gets all seated nicely, then Ill synch it down with a hard pull.

Never really had an issue with line cut this way and then I have a connection that can be cast out and reeled in over with no impact.

obie1fish

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 06:09:20 PM »

Gooey..seems you're having a lot of fun with auto-complete! ;D I thank you for the instructions; I wasn't using near the number of wraps you do (8 vs 25). I'll give it a shot.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2013, 04:32:33 PM »

Ended up ordering 300m of this.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FREE-SHIP-PE-DYNEEMA-BRAID-FISHING-LINE-100M-500M-300M-1000M-BLUE-COLOR-/310758767982?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item485aaa7d6e&_uhb=1

For $11, I figure I can't go wrong. Even if I hate the stuff as fishing line, and can use it for other things.

So, did you receive it and try it yet?  How'd it do?
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Suther

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2013, 11:30:48 AM »

So, did you receive it and try it yet?  How'd it do?

Still waiting on shipping from China... Its only been 10 business days, and it called for 11-23 or something like that.

Suther

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 11:21:26 AM »

It finally arrived! 15 days total shipping, not terrible. (I think thats how long at least?) It came with the wrong packing slip, but the right product. Odd...

Looks pretty good, especially for the price. Doesn't seem to be overly thick. it is quite easy to separate, and is made of 4 strands, says its 100% PE Fiber.
Comparing it to my 6lb stren (.23mm) and 15lb trilene big game (.38mm) and this (supposed to be .36mm) I would say the braid is the thickest.

Of course, this had to come today. Im off to Whistler for the weekend, and fishing is not on the to-do list. Which means actually USING, or spooling up this line is going to have to wait until Tuesday at the earliest.

Then it'll be off to my spot to see how I like it. I havn't even had a chance to try my new reel because I've been waiting for this line, so I'm very excited.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2013, 10:03:10 AM »

When I tie my mainline braid to the swivel I always go with the palomar knot. I've tried others but the palomar is IMO the best and easiest to tie. If I'm running a long mono leader off the braid and don't want to reel in a swivel through my eyelets I'll tie the braid to the mono with a modified albright knot. IMO modified albright is the best mono to braid knot, better that double uni etc.