Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this line twist or...?  (Read 4453 times)

Suther

Is this line twist or...?
« on: October 05, 2013, 10:50:38 PM »

I was fishing for pinks a few weeks ago, and on my very last cast of the night my line exploded on me.

I have no idea what causes a mess like that? It was casting fine for over an hour and then that.

Any ideas or insight is appreciated.

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Is this line twist or...?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 11:08:50 PM »

Looks like your line is too thick in diameter for the size real you are using. I'd also say the reel has too much line on it.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 11:40:09 PM »

over spooled.

bsmcrosseyed

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 11:43:01 PM »

Definitely too much line on your spool.

Fillibert

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 12:25:06 AM »

Based on pics I'm guessing you are on a budget. I suggest getting some of the softer monos out there to avoid this. You will pay a bit extra for it but the line will stay on there better so less waste. Go for the smooth cast line or the new berkley line that's designed specifically for less messy situation (kinda white/red package)

Tenz85

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 05:32:40 AM »

could be a bit of both. I too was at the chilliwack with fast wateflow  chucking a spinner on a spinner with mono (bad idea). should of used braided because it was non stop line twist and birds nests, especially at the end of the day after the line built up twisting.

Suther

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »

Looks like your line is too thick in diameter for the size real you are using. I'd also say the reel has too much line on it.

The rod/reel came spooled with 8lb mono, I refilled it with 10lb Sufix Pro Select line. After that mess, I replaced it with 15lb Berkley Big Game, and haven't had that happen since...

Soon this rod will be my trout fishing rod, but it is the only rod I have right this moment so I had it set up to try and hook up with a salmon.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 08:54:31 AM »

berkley   triline xl is best for spinning reels. dont overfill spool.

zap brannigan

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 09:09:49 AM »

also use a good quality swivel.

Suther

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 09:10:26 AM »

berkley   triline xl is best for spinning reels. dont overfill spool.

I am getting a larger rod/reel soon (Picking up the rod in an hour. reel we'll have to wait and see if I can get a decent used one, or if I gotta order one from Amazon...) and was planning on filling that one with some Gorilla Tough 35lb braid. Anyone have an opinion on that line?

I was using eagle claw barrel swivels I think..?

wonder

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 09:38:43 AM »

i use 2 swivels one for the leader and a snap swivel at the lure barely get any twist now, also makes it quick and easy to swap lures

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 10:17:22 AM »

I picked up some 10lb braid for the pink season. never touching mono again. put a full 150 yard spool on my trout reel. I find the benefits far outweigh the cost and negatives. line twist is non existent (and I've seen the line twisted, but it doesn't behave like it is), cast it further, and it's strong! again, never going back to mono!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

RyanB

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »

I picked up some 10lb braid for the pink season. never touching mono again. put a full 150 yard spool on my trout reel. I find the benefits far outweigh the cost and negatives. line twist is non existent (and I've seen the line twisted, but it doesn't behave like it is), cast it further, and it's strong! again, never going back to mono!

I watched this video recently.  It made me consider putting braid on next time I change my line.
http://youtu.be/Pajpp3byZ-o
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 01:55:12 PM »

this stuff looks really good all be it expensive. wife wouldn't let me dump the extra to fill 3 reels at the time we needed them done before camping. Think I will put this on next time I change my spinning rods.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/line/uni-filament/nanofil

of course if the reviews on this stuff start sounding bad then I will just go to braid instead
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Suther

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 02:12:42 PM »

this stuff looks really good all be it expensive. wife wouldn't let me dump the extra to fill 3 reels at the time we needed them done before camping. Think I will put this on next time I change my spinning rods.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/line/uni-filament/nanofil

of course if the reviews on this stuff start sounding bad then I will just go to braid instead

I think my big problem is the overall quality of the line I used(as well as probably too much line on there). It was Sufix Pro Select 10#, sells for under $8 for 1500 yards of it.

The berkley big game 15# I have on there now hasn't had any issues yet.

Once I get a new reel for my other rod this one will be getting spooled with 6 or 8lb test, probably stren original 'cause its what I already have in my box.

considering this rod/reel was only $20, I dont see myself putting anything fancy on it, although Im thinking I'll put braid on my bigger rod once I get a reel for it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 02:14:44 PM by Suther »