Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sea lice article  (Read 1873 times)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
sea lice article
« on: May 25, 2007, 09:54:32 PM »

I read today in the sun a story by a guy who claimed to be fishing in the chilliwack area for 20 yrs. He says in the article that he's noticed how the salmon are coming back just covered in sea lice. I've been fishing for a while also and have'nt noticed any increase in sea lice, in fact I'm happy to see a few on the fish because that means its pretty fresh in the river. Do any of you salt fishers notice an increase in sea lice?  Thanks in advance.  BP
Fish on!

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: sea lice article
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 11:44:08 PM »

You bet three years ago I started catching the odd Chum with lice so thick around the gills they looked like moss. I told some DFO guys I saw on the river a few days after a caught the first ones. They responded by telling me that lice like that were normal. I told them Bul*&%$%#, I had been fly fishing Chum in that river since 93 and never seen any fish that infested. T which they just said nothing and walked away. The same typical government arrogance that Rafe Mair and I use to run in to when we ranted endlessly on that subject, after our premier gave those fish farmers cart blanche.

Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 10:55:43 AM »

You sure those were lice?!?  I have never seen lice on an adult fish except behind the anal final and I commercial fished for a season too so I saw a ton of salmon (literally). 

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 01:46:51 PM »

Stopping the sea lice from biting you
Sea lice hate lavender. Buy some lavender soap and lavender wool wash ($2.00), pour a capful in a bucket of water, rinse everyone's swimmers in it and then hang them on the line to dry. Place the lavender soap in the shower. Repeat every time your kids wear their swimmers. Once my mother-in-law started doing this, the sea lice finally stopped and she has been bite-free for three years.

http://www.simplesavings.com.au/newsletter/2004/january/

Forwarding this to the fish farms, and splashing a little where it counts.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 08:39:14 PM »

Not much of a response on this. I'm guessing most people have not seen an increase in sea lice.
Fish on!

Schenley

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 08:54:37 PM »

You bet three years ago I started catching the odd Chum with lice so thick around the gills they looked like moss. I told some DFO guys I saw on the river a few days after a caught the first ones. They responded by telling me that lice like that were normal. I told them Bul*&%$%#, I had been fly fishing Chum in that river since 93 and never seen any fish that infested. T which they just said nothing and walked away. The same typical government arrogance that Rafe Mair and I use to run in to when we ranted endlessly on that subject, after our premier gave those fish farmers cart blanche.

Well Newsman I am glad that you know better than the guys that are trained to notice anomalies in fish. I dont blame them for walking away.  So I have to call Bul*&$%# back at you.  I have fished rivers in BC since the 60s and can tell you that what you most likely saw were NOT sealice but freahwater critters( which would have already dropped off by the time they reached the Veddar) and most likely leeches  or parasitic copepods which are VERY common on spawning salmon and trout in the lower Fraser and tribs-- same on Vancouver Is too. But sealice??? naw.....  Stick around for another 30 years and keep an open mind -- then you can say you have seen it all. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 09:08:35 PM by Schenley »

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 06:53:08 PM »

All I have to say to that Schen is this. If those so called experts know so much, how is it that they rarely get a fish count right.  I don't know how long you have been at this game but after a life time of observation I can tell you there is allot more going on than meets the eye. You might want to study the polirtics of it all or at least read "Fat Cats & Dead Fish". Are you DFO?
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Schenley

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 05:31:13 PM »

Newsman-- what we are taking about here is fish parasites-- if you want to change the thread into all the ills of DFO , start a new thread please.  Fat Cats and Dead Fish has NO bearing on this discussion. 

There is nothing nefarious in the fact that someone caught a fish with a bunch of parasites. But just because YOU havent seen it before does not make it another government conspiracy. 

And no-- I dont work for DFO