Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal and Non-Tidal Fraser River Closes to Salmon Fishing August 11, 2016  (Read 78880 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

dfo said I can target those

The regulations have to take into account the lowest common denominator of anglers - are you in that group?  ;)

most anglers who have advanced beyond just reading and memorizing the regulations will adjust their angling and methods consistent with their concern for all fish species and their own ethics and values.

Have a nice day!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

skaha

• Old Timer

The regulations have to take into account the lowest common denominator of anglers - are you in that group?  ;)

most anglers who have advanced beyond just reading and memorizing the regulations will adjust their angling and methods consistent with their concern for all fish species and their own ethics and values.

Have a nice day!

--For sure... just like minimum code and legal obligation. If you know better you should follow the best practices.
--Take time to know what the intent of the rules are. The dates and closures are best guess guidelines. If the intent is to have the river closed during high water temps which affects live release then don't fish during high water temps.
--Often the rule or law will be a best guess date... like on the kettle being closed August 1st which is usually when low water and high temperature occur.   
--If the intent is to allow for a specific run to pass and you notice that significant by-catch is occuring because of the method  or location you are fishing (even if the area is open) then STOP FISHING.

banx

u cant argue with "old grumpy man" who had his point from years and years ago ... he still lives in his own world ... he tries to argue with knowledge he has , but update service is temporary not working ... it`s just waste of time .... I`ll get my gear and go for species as per him are not endangered .

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say your probably to young to vote hrenya.  which means the grumpy old man is trumping you with experience.
just because your allowed to do something doesn't mean you should though. it's something you will learn in life..... with experience.  ;)

fishing bait for cutties and dollies aint exactly the most humane way to catch em per se. they are wild fish and the water is warm.  there are other species or even things that you can be doing than deep hooking wild fish....... there's carp in the sloughs close to where you are already fishing and bass in burnaby.

put that youthful enthusiasm to work and hook a carp on the fly. tons of fun.   

hrenya

You are right , im young , and I DONT vote . BUT I have MY opinion and my points , which I think should be treated not like "idiot or troll" cuz this is forum for discussion .
carp too smart to catch .... ocean fishing is pretty cool , soles/flounders/greenlings/perches :)) of cuz I`m not fishing fraser now lol , I gave it up and member of FWR teaching me how to target those ones :) so up to date - whoever will try to tell me that "steelhead is fish of thousands casts" should try flounders/soles LOL .

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

. BUT I have MY opinion and my points , which I think should be treated not like "idiot or troll" cuz this is forum for discussion .

whiner! 

rotflmao
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

hrenya

whiner! 

rotflmao
admit it , u r stubborn , and u wont take it from anyone else :)

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.

FURTHER UPDATES:  Correspondence with DFO

The closure to recreational chinook fishing on the Fraser River is due to sockeye being caught while targeting on chinook.  Although the sockeye can be released and the release mortality rate is low when you take into account the overall size of the fishery, there simply was not enough allowable impacts at this time.

There have been several suggestions on alternative measures to take in years such as this.  For example, some have suggested a leader length restriction.

As of right now, DFO has very limited authority to implement restrictions on gear and does not have the authority, for example, to compel fishers to only use bar rigs.

The sockeye migration is being watched closely.  Once the main stocks of concern are through the area, a re-opening of the chinook directed fishery will be considered.

We do understand the importance and the value of the local fishery.

Linda Stevens

Telephone | Téléphone:  1-877-535-7307
Email | Courriel:  fishing-peche@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

I find the statement made from Linda Stevens very perplexing considering that in Eastern Canada, Atlantic salmon are indeed regulated by DFO as they are on the Pacific coast. Yet on the eastern coast, salmon fishing is fly fishing only. Seems to me know one wants to take on the time consuming job of getting these restrictive regulations in place.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

I'm thinking it's more of a practicability issue for DFO.  Sure, they could put in gear restrictions.  But then they'll need the resources (human and fiscal) to enforce the rules.  Plus, there's the challenge of the "grey" areas and ensuring that the language around any "regulations" truly meet the intent and are not misinterpreted down the road. All of this for a few weeks while the species of concern migrates through the system.  It's much easier just to shut the whole system down to salmon fishing from an enforcement point of view.  This closure does not affect me at all as I do not fish the Fraser when the sockeye are not open to retention (i.e. since 2014).  But I do understand the frustration for people who do chose to fish selectively for chinook.  As for the "flossers", you got what you deserved.   :D :D :D

hrenya

BKK and FFM , I do agree that all the above is issue for NON-tidal fraser  , try fish tidal for sockeye or springs . with bar rig and leader over 1 foot , gl , untangling :)

TNAngler

Any thoughts on when the primary portion of the sockeye runs will be through the area?  I've already bought tickets to fly out on the 4th of September and if the Fraser is closed then I am going down the Columbia.  Hard to make those plans given the current conditions.  This is very difficult to plan around.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

My guess there is a 50-50 (at best) chance that the river may open in a week or so. The wild card is water temperature which is quite high for this time of year. Even at that expect a closure soon after the Labor Day - if they are consistent with previous years it will close the 6th. If lucky they may keep it open for a few days past that though the interior 1st Nations and others wil be looking for a closure to protect the interior coho.

TNAngler

My guess there is a 50-50 (at best) chance that the river may open in a week or so. The wild card is water temperature which is quite high for this time of year. Even at that expect a closure soon after the Labor Day - if they are consistent with previous years it will close the 6th. If lucky they may keep it open for a few days past that though the interior 1st Nations and others wil be looking for a closure to protect the interior coho.

Looking at the notices last year, I'm not seeing where they closed the non-tidal Fraser.  Do you have a link?  FN0990 posted on September 4th, 2015 indicated it was open for retention of chinook through the end of the year.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

I think I am going to form a web based regulations consulting business. It's posted all over the place here and on other websites plus on DFO.

Here it is:

http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=187080&ID=all

Effective dates:  one hour after sunset on Thursday, August 11, 2016 until
further notice.

Waters:  The Fraser River in Region 2 (from the downstream side of the CPR
Bridge at Mission, BC to the downstream side of the Alexandra Bridge).

Management Measure: Fishing for salmon is not permitted.

clarki

• Old Timer

I think I am going to form a web based regulations consulting business.

Business will be slow if you call your customers "grasshopper", "smart guy", "chuckles" or "whiner'

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

If the river reopens in late August as they did last year once majority of the sockeye salmon pass through the Lower Fraser River, it will remain open throughout September for chinook salmon retention, like last year. For quite a few years now, SFAC has recommended to DFO that while Interior coho salmon management measures like bait ban should be in place, fishing for salmon and retention of chinook salmon should still be allowed throughout the red zone, and they have followed through with that request.

Whether it will reopen in a week or so from now is still to be seen. At the current in-season estimate of total Fraser River sockeye salmon, the late run may also need to be protected, and the runtime of that stock goes well into September.