Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whistler April 23rd  (Read 4228 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Whistler April 23rd
« on: April 24, 2006, 06:30:26 PM »

Boy, that tug at the end of the line sure becomes unfamiliar after a few months of drought!

2006 has been somewhat bitter sweet so far. While my career continues to excel, my fishing opportunities have been reduced tremendously. On busy days fishing is out of the question, on free days I become too tired from work and end up not fishing. ::)

The steelhead season was a scratch this year, even though others have had a phenomenal year. When steelhead start to surface and bump your Drennan float into the air like a dolphin, nature is telling you to stop fishing. :D Despite of a disappointing season, one must move on and look forward to what’s ahead in the next few months – Lake Season.

On Saturday evening, Chrome Mykiss and Fishersak came by before we met up with Chris for dinner (see Journal from the Big City). They helped me loading up my Brandywine Flyer onto the car. Thanks to CM, the Flyer was pampered and ready for another season. :D During dinner, we discussed possible fishing plan on the following day. Itosh has been bugging us about Alta Lake in Whistler, since Floon and Deb always mention their fantastic trip up that way with Snapperhead on FishBC. Carlo was leaning towards that idea. Fishersak and I were… Well, skeptical.

“Whistler is a bit too far for a day trip you know…?”
“What? People do day skiing trips up that way!”

The conversation continued after dinner at my house and finally the trip was firmly planned. The company soon left my house in a hurry so they could get a good night sleep before the long day.

The first lake trip is always so difficult; the preparatory work can be a turn-off. Finding and dusting off all the boat accessories from the previous season seems to take forever. Just when you think the boat is ready, new problems often arise. However, the frustration quickly vaporizes once you are floating on the lake and listening to the water gently splashing against the boat.

Once the car was packed, I realized that the trip just wouldn’t be complete with a batch of freshly tied flies. Now, being a complete novice on the flyfishing department, the only patterns that I can crank out are wooly buggers and minnows. I sat down at the desk and began fiddling around with feathers. What a way to spend a Saturday evening. ;) After pulling out four flies in a ridiculous amount of time, feathers were flying all over the place. I looked at my pathetic olive wooly buggers and said to myself, “That’s it! Carlo better bring more flies tomorrow!”

I hopped into bed at 1:00am, but insomnia soon set in. I tossed and turned, perhaps I was getting too excited because it had been a long time since the last fishing outing? Next thing I knew, I woke up at 4:45am, two hours ahead of the schedule. :o

After a hearty breakfast while watching some infomercial on sportfishing and hunting in Quebec, it was time to leave. Fishersak arrived 30 minutes earlier, probably just as excited as me. ;)

We arrived at the lake with Chrome Mykiss and Itosh at 11:30am after the usual pit-stop at Squamish Tim Horton’s. The moderate northerly wind looked rather cold, but the sun was shining. :D Fishersak and I set up the Brandywine Flyer in no time while Chrome Mykiss and Itosh took their time at the boat ramp. The lake was rather quiet; I guess the local crowd was still asleep after the usual weekend parties. ;D

What an amazing view! The background is rather different compared to our usual hangouts. Whistler and Blackcombe sat behind us. From our binoculars, we could see skiers making their way down the runs. I said to Fishersak, “Hey, it’s pretty fun just to be out on the boat cruising today!”

Yeah right, I wanted to catch a fish. ;D

Since we were at a new lake, we cruised around for an hour or two scouting out potential spots where we might connect with a fish or two. In my opinion, lake fishing is more challenging than river fishing. Do the fish inhabit in the deep, or the shallows? What are they feeding on? These questions are so difficult to figure out without sufficient amount of background research and local knowledge.

The one that got away

Fishersak and I finally settled at one spot. Both of us thought it looked juicy. The 5 feet deep clay shallow flat drops right off to 20 feet; the area is also littered with wooden debris.

On my first cast, I let my olive wooly bugger sank for 15 seconds or so. The golden bead took the fly down in no time. Soon after I began to do my short strips, I felt a light pull.

“Hey Mark! I think I have a bite!”

The tip was pulled lightly again as I stripped.

“Hey! Another bite!”

But Rodney… Why aren't you setting the hook? ??? This verbal battle seemed to be going on in my brain, meanwhile the fish decided to pull again! I yanked the rod up and that familiar bend could be seen on my rod!

“I got one! Hey!!”

As I took a deep sigh of relief, the first fish in a few weeks decided to swim towards the boat as quickly as it could. I sped up the stripping, hoping that I could catch up. Well, my arm wasn’t as fast. A few flashes appeared at the edge of the boat and that familiar bend was gone.

Grrr… It looked like the curse was making itself welcome, again.

The next two hours were rather uneventful. We strolled around to several different spots with no success. Both Chrome Mykiss and Itosh also came up empty. The day was starting to look rather depressing. :-\

Mykiss meets Clarki

Finally, while all three boats congregated at one spot, Chrome Mykiss hooked up! Judging from the action of his rod, it appeared to be a good sized fish. Itosh rushed over on his pontoon boat as CM had forgotten his net. After a few minutes, the fish was in. :D

The cutthroat trout couldn’t be spottier, a pretty fish indeed. Fishersak and I rushed over to take a look, but being so clumsy, we managed to hook onto CM’s other rod. ::)

Everyone’s confidence was lifted after the fish was released. We still had a couple more hours; the day was not a write-off yet. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Whistler April 23rd
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 06:30:52 PM »

The Curse is broken

Not long after, while sitting down after a cast, my strike indicator took a sudden plunge! A fish grabbed onto my fly as it was sinking down slowly and took off. This time the arm was very responsive. I lifted the rod immediately and the fight was on. Again, it decided to swim right to the boat. This time it was not as lucky, it swam right into Fishersak’s net. :D A tiny rainbow appeared from the mesh, I was satisfied, especially after four hours of feather flicking. The curse was finally broken.

The next excitement came soon after Fishersak gave my camera back to me. I looked up, and my catch & release net was floating slowly away from the boat. ::) After several attempts, Fishersak landed his fly over the net and dragged it back. ;)

Two fish in a short while made things rather exciting. We were eager to see what the rest of the trip would produce. Chrome Mykiss didn’t disappoint us, by hooking up another good sized cutthroat!

Catch of the day

Thirty minutes later, he was into yet another fish! This time, the fight seemed harder. This fish dodged and ran for several minutes. When it came towards the boat, it decided to get friendly with the anchors. Chrome Mykiss did his best to keep it away from the anchor ropes. Eventually, the fish surfaced and CM was surprised by the size of this fish.

After seeing the display, we quickly pulled our anchors up and headed over to his boat so I could get a photo of this beauty. The fish measured at 20 inches, catch of the day indeed! :o

At 6:00pm, we decided that it was time to pack it in. While at the ramp, we were greeted by Snapperhead who was on his way out for an evening stroll. He reported ice-off was only two weeks ago and fishing has generally been slow.

The drive was rather long, the fishing was rather challenging, but the lake was pretty and the weather was splendid. If these attributes are what you are looking for in a fishing outing, give it a ago. :)

This morning I woke up with this and a rather sore arm. :o

Bait ban, catch and release only and a speed restriction at this lake by the way, make sure you check the regulations before heading out. :)

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:07:57 PM »

nice reports those are some nice fish.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 07:49:36 PM »

Sweet pics, Awsome report rod
weeeeeeeeeow!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 07:55:41 PM »

Awesome. So you did make the trip after all  8)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 08:11:33 PM »

Nice-e-e-e- fish R. man, did it take two of you to get it in??? ;D ;D ;D Ok, my minnow...errr..cuttie wasn't any bigger....Hit Pass Lake again myself to try out the watermaster that came this week. Was gonna do a weekend trip to the Yak. but thought i'd better see how i did on a lake first..great boat by the way...but got shut out AGAIN..damn that lake is tough, but did have to leave early before any hatch which really sucked...oh well, would have loved to catch more of those little cutties on the dry but don't feel like spending another $250 for a window for my truck >:(  here's the watermaster...and i'm using fins in this pic. to stay stationary.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 08:21:57 PM »

Monster cuttie.  Nice photo too.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 10:58:33 PM »

Growing a playoff beard Rodney ? Anybody told you that the Canucks are out golfing ? ;D

Last Cast

• Live to Fish ~ Fish to Live
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 06:34:40 AM »

What a great report Rod and those photos ... WOW  :o ... and as to fishing, you see you haven't lost your touch  ;).  When you're not able to get out as often as you'd like (and as others do  ::)), you appreciate it all the more.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 10:38:30 AM »

that is an amazing place to fish.. I was up there a few years ago on that lake.. never knew there were trout of that size in the lake.... nice ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 03:07:35 PM »

Growing a playoff beard Rodney ? Anybody told you that the Canucks are out golfing ? ;D

If you get more people subscribing to the website, I maybe able to afford a haircut and look more visually appealing in our pictorial features. ;D

What a great report Rod and those photos ... WOW  :o ... and as to fishing, you see you haven't lost your touch  ;).  When you're not able to get out as often as you'd like (and as others do  ::)), you appreciate it all the more.

Thanks Last Cast. :) Since last year I have been spending more time on working with the camera during the fishing trips (that's why I rarely catch a fish, or we rarely see a picture of me with a fish... ya, that's it...). The video camera was just repaired this week, so hopefully we'll be able to capture some clips of Chrome Mykiss connecting with these beauties again. ;)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 04:42:09 PM »

Thats a beautiful fish..really really nice cutty.  Congrats...!  Do you guys tie your own flies? Twice the reward that way :D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 05:59:35 PM »

Beautiful fish Rodney and friends!!  Great job indeed!! :o ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 09:51:01 PM »

Thats a beautiful fish..really really nice cutty.  Congrats...!  Do you guys tie your own flies? Twice the reward that way :D

Yes, we tie our own flies. I caught all of my fish on either a black dazzle dub leech or a black/brown wooly bugger. The boat(pram) and the net are also hand made too :D Those fish were caught in the shallows, in 6-10ft of water, with my flies fished under indicators.

It was great to fish with such an eager camera crew  ;)  We sure look like the three stooges out there, boats drifting out of control and lines tangled in anchor lines  ::)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 10:06:17 PM »

I hope Rodney doesn't mind me posting this but heres an up close of the playoff beard. Nice sun burn too  :o

Actions speak louder than words.