Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with coho?  (Read 31572 times)

pinkwool

Re:What to do with coho?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2004, 02:27:28 PM »

There are different fish also. Fresh salmon don't have the fishy smell and has a nice flavor on it's own (excluding Vedder monsters in the Falll  ;) )

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2004, 10:39:37 AM »

Who has a good recipe for smoking salmon....I recently got a Bradley smoker and am looking forward to trying different recipes ;D

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2004, 06:50:52 PM »

hey bradly fish smokers rock ;D ;D ;Dthe only down fall is the pucks cost alot$$$you will enjoy

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2004, 07:33:03 PM »

I've got a Bradley and I keep the brine simple.
1/4 cup of pickling salt
1-1/2 - 2 cups Demarara brown sugar
about a table spoon of Mrs. Dash
about a table spoon of garlic powder.
1/2 teaspoon or red pepper flakes and a teaspoon of black pepper.
4 litres of water that's gone trough a Brita filter - don't use Abbotsford water from the tap - it has too much flavour. :-X

I cut my fillets from three average (sockeye size) fish into two inch cross sectional pieces - this fills my four trays just right.

I brine the fish in the fridge for 48 hours. I find this to work a lot better than 24 hrs. since I've cut back the salt in the brine. I find that I get a better, to my taste, rubbery texture finished product.

After decades of smoking experiments - I now only use alder chips/pucks. I use 6 pucks for a full smoke of fish.

I take the fish out of the brine and give it a quick cold water rinse. I don't scrub the fish with my hand any more with the lower salt content brine. I spray my trays with PAM edible mold release, and arrange my fish onto the trays right after the rinse. I'll place all the thickest pieces on the bottom tray and arrange the thinnest, tail sections, on the top tray.

Once arranged on the trays, I'll dab dry the fillets with paper towel then give them a sprinkle of freshly cracked pepper from my grinder. I like the pepper flavour from the course grind.

After 1-1/2 - 2 hours of air dry on the counter, I transfer them into my pre-heated smoker. I really watch my temperature and make sure I never heat it over 150 degrees F. throughout the whole event. Otherwise you cook the fish. I used to keep the top vent closed thinking it would really infuse the smoke but that's not what you want to do. I now keep the vent 3/4 open to let the moisture laden heat out of the smoker - after all, you are trying to dehydrate the fish while infusing smoke into the flesh.

3-6 hours later depending on the outdoor humidity and outdoor temp. my product is ready. As soon as the fish has the same resistance as your palm has when you lightly press it with your finger - its done.

I now just pull the power cord and open the door letting it cool to ambient temp. then I zip lock bag it and put in in the fridge. I can't resist a piece right away but its always best after at least two days of refrigeration in the zip lock.

That's the way I like it.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2004, 09:16:02 PM »

rieber you sound like a pro at smoking great instructions thankx ;D ;DI will give it a try

pinkwool

Re: What to do with coho?
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2004, 09:57:32 PM »

Thanks a lot rieber. This will be my next try. Previous ones were too salty or too sweet. A good instructions. I have a 3/4 box of hickory chips, wanna trade some for alder?

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
Re: What to do with coho?
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2005, 11:20:56 PM »

this sounds very simple but it is very tasty.

i take a fillet of sockeye, coho, or small spring.

cut into 1-2 inch wide x 3-4 inch strips (try to be boneless)

fill up a large container with a few cups of coarse salt. add some water. make sure fish is submerged.

let it brine for 20-30 minutes (longer = heavier salt taste)

dry outside (cover from flies) for a day in the sun

outside of the fish will be dry but the inside will be moist.

cook on the bbq or put in ziplock and transport with you to your next fishing trip and cook over a grill on the fire.  guarantee good eating. (old japanese recipe)

this also works great for rock cod, but butterfly fillet the rock cod before you salt and dry it.

fishingbuddha
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!