Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with coho?  (Read 31584 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
What to do with coho?
« on: October 05, 2003, 12:10:10 AM »

Anyone has a good recipe for cohos? I want to try some different dishes with this hatchery coho tomorrow. :D

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
Re:What to do with coho?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 08:25:14 PM »

Coho is a pure salmon flavour, so if you do something....do it with less ingredients. I would either put a little mayo and chopped onions and lemon in tinfoil, or just plain lemon and white wine in tinfoil and bake in the BBQ.

Another beauty for coho is to coat it in eg and breadcrumbs with a touch of tarragon and fry in butter.....thats dreamy!

Enjoy.....I will be piecing my reel back together in disgust!

Vince
You don't make friends with salad.

Gutslinger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 05:09:51 PM »

use a little oil (keeps the fish from sticking ot the grill) dill, onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt & pepper(to taste)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 05:12:51 PM »

cut ito steaks,sprinkle some oregano or other herbs onto the bbq rocks for an extra scented smoke.simple but I love em that way.gonna do some sockeye tonight ;D

KOMR

• I'm not a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 09:48:04 AM »

oh, bbqing~! that's a good idea.  I'd better call my friend to the vedder and bbq there right away!

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 11:24:48 AM »

I think the best way to cook salmon of any kind is with a lot of fresh tomatoes. More tomatoes the better - chopped tomatoes.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 08:38:49 AM »

Sun dried tomatoes, basil, olive oil, salt , pepper, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar.  Process into a paste and spread over filet.  BBQ.  Serve with grilled asparagas and riced potatos and Grey Monk Pino Gris.

BirdNester

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 10:35:27 PM »

cut ito steaks,sprinkle some oregano or other herbs onto the bbq rocks for an extra scented smoke.simple but I love em that way.gonna do some sockeye tonight ;D
Hey Leadbelly, what about the ketchup?
RobertO

The Gilly

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 02:42:14 PM »

I tried this one the other day and loved it.
1/4C Soya
1/4C Sherry
1/4C Water
1/4C sugar (I prefer Demerara)
1/8C Sesame Oil (pure)
3-4 cloves of garlic (crushed or pressed)
1 piece of ginger about the size of your thumb (crushed)
Marinade for 8 hours in the fridge.  Remove from marinade and BBQ on Med/Low. DO NOT OVER COOK.  Test for doneness by pressing the flesh.  When it does not "mush" it's done.  After 5 minutes, start checking every minute .
Serve with coconut rice and fresh corn.

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 08:06:26 PM »

My not so secret salmon marinade recipe (not so secret, cause I keep tellin people...it's deeeee-lish)

in an old baking dish (you know the metal ones that mom makes brownies in) line it with two layers tin foil (makes clean up real good) (ps. make sure to ask permission from said "mom" as she may not be too pleased if you use her "good" baking dish).  

place marinade in pan :
one cup soy sauce (kikkoman is best, do not use "china lily")
1/4 cup sugar (i use white or brown doesnt really matter)
3 tbsp honey
1/4 cup Mirin (japanese flavoring liquid, buy at T and T)
dash or two of black pepper
5 big spoonfulls of minced garlic, or a whole clove of fresh minced garlic, the more the better
1 stalk of green onions chopped exclude bulb, include green part

place the fillet of salmon flesh side down (very important)
place whole baking pan on the bbq, at medium to high heat and cook till the meat is light pink and cooked looking. takes about 20 minutes if I do it frozen....YES from frozen, i dont even bother to defrost it, or soak it for any amount of time.  The meat won't stick to anything, just flip over onto a plate and serve.  Don't even have to cook both sides, it cooks right thru.  While it cooks the marinade just seeps into the meat...it was yummy.  enjoy.
let me know how it goes if you try it.
Hi ho Hi ho...It's off to Fish I go!

pinkwool

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 12:14:29 AM »

Wow :o :o :o With all that dressing I guess any fish would taste the same :)
Can you tell the difference between coho, chinook or sockeye if all done that way?

My favourite simplest salmon recipe: little (2 teaspoons) olive oil, little lemon juice (or balsamic vinnegar if no lemon), dash of salt and black or white pepper. Sprinkle all that over the fish and bake it or BBQ. Use alum foil for baking or fish BBQ grid for BBQ (helps in turning fillets).

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2004, 10:34:08 PM »

Any one here try pickled coho?It was the best stuff i ever tried.....now if i could find that recipe????
Please honey can i go fishing now???

The Gilly

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2004, 11:24:15 AM »

To keep your fillets from sticking to the grill, spray on some olive oil when the grill is hot.  The oil spreads and viola no sticky ;D

Fishin_Chick you've varied your recipe away from the "blob's & plop's" ??? ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 11:27:40 AM by grumman »

pinkwool

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2004, 11:30:30 AM »

I do pickle sockeye. It's called lox. You can find many different recipies on the net for lox. Mine is simple and evryone who tried the lox said it was the best (all ingrediants MUST be the same as in the recipe - no substitutions, or the result will be different):
1. Fillet sockeye/coho (I use only 1/2 of the fish at a time)
2. Mix 2 handfulls of coarse salt, 2 teaspoon of white sugar, 2 teaspoons of freshly cracked WHITE pepper.
3. Wash and chop 1 buch of fresh dill.
4. In a rectangular Pyrex dish (the one with tall walls) sprinckle a bit of salt mixture on the bottom. Place one fillet skin down. Cover it with 1/2 of salt mixture and all chopped dill.
5. Rub the rest of the salt mixture into the second fillet and place it meat down. Sprinckle salt on top of the second fillet.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and press with pre-cut board (to fit on the dish) and some weight you find in the fridge (jam, etc.)
7. Keep at least 2 nights  under the press. If the fillets are thicker and from the front half of the fish - 3 nigths are required. After that rinse the dill off (some pepper may stay as it will give more flavour), pick the small bones (if any), and slice it with the fillet knife.  I start with bottom fillet. Will keep for one week in the fridge in the same brine.

Deadly on the freshly toasted Olafson's bagle with cream cheese. Reeb is optional :)

P.S. It's adviced to deep freeze the fish for at least 48 hours before makig the lox.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2004, 12:46:02 PM »

Wow :o :o :o With all that dressing I guess any fish would taste the same :)
Can you tell the difference between coho, chinook or sockeye if all done that way?

My favourite simplest salmon recipe: little (2 teaspoons) olive oil, little lemon juice (or balsamic vinnegar if no lemon), dash of salt and black or white pepper. Sprinkle all that over the fish and bake it or BBQ. Use alum foil for baking or fish BBQ grid for BBQ (helps in turning fillets).
Agreed!
Too many ingredients mean the flavour of the fish is completely lost.
That's OK if you're feeding people who don't like fish-myself I don't like people who don't like fish :P