Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout Recipes  (Read 19323 times)

fishingnewb

Trout Recipes
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:34:48 PM »

Anyone have any great trout recipes?  I love almost all fish, but trout has got to be near the bottom of the list.  I've tried the typical lemon/butter/dill combo and it just takes like I'm eating mud.

gheart008

Re: Trout Recipes
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »

Anyone have any great trout recipes?  I love almost all fish, but trout has got to be near the bottom of the list.  I've tried the typical lemon/butter/dill combo and it just takes like I'm eating mud.

Just cooked some last night.  Never used dill before, but load it up with garlic and it will take away the mud taste.  I diced up some peppers, fresh mushrooms (none of that canned stuff), onions, green onions, and stuffed the fish.  Added some butter in the inside and out, rubbed garlic all over, the wrapped in foil and baked for 30 minutes.

Also, were your trout fresh?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 03:39:36 PM by gheart008 »

fishingnewb

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 03:42:36 PM »

Yep.  Usually try and eat them the same day.  Most of the fish I get are from Buntzen or Lafarge.  All taste a bit like mud...  the wife has asked me not to bring any more home, since they taste so bad. :(

fishingnewb

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 03:43:20 PM »

I'll have to try the garlic out.  I love garlic...  MMMM

Any other recipes? :D

steelhead nick

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 09:49:12 PM »

my friend showed me a recipe and its quite easy. *(Tastes better when fish is fresh)*

What you do is:

1) Fillet and Skin It
2) Dip it in egg yolk
3) Rub corn starch on it
4) Use a bit of oil and fry it until golden
5) Put some salt, pepper and lemon juice

After that eat it and enjoy ;D!

southpa

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 11:38:57 AM »

Fill the cavity with butter, garlic salt the heck out of it,wrap it in foil so no  or little steam escapes,
put it on the barbie for ten minutes medium heat, open and enjoy.  Southpa

RossP

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »

Our favorite is to throw one on the BBQ on the top rack
turn one burner on high, the others off and put a pan of apple wood chips
over the burner. Mmmm nice cooked trout and a light smoke flavour.
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

kufflers guide

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 11:07:02 AM »

you guys made me hungry !! , now I have to go fishing :o ::)

Guppy

• nothing but steelhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 11:23:45 AM »

put a fillet in tin foil skin side down dump a ton of lemon juice on it put 4 cloves of garlic on it minced of course ad pepper and salt to taste wrap up and put on barbeque for about 8-10 mins.
                               very tasty. very easy.
small fish in a big river

silverslab

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 11:38:36 AM »

I like taking a small 15 to 18 inch trout, clean it, emove the head fins tail etc but leav the body in tact,  wash out the belly cavity really well and peel of of the lineing.  I then stuff it with a mixture of crab meat(real not imitation) some shrimp or small prawns, a few small scallops smoked salmon cream cheese and about a cup of bread crumbs. Then wrap in tin foil and bake in the oven for about 25 - 30 minutes.  once done open the foild cut down the backbone and it should come apart in two nice pieces and most of the bones stay put. just scopp out some stuffing and place on top.

Nucks

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 03:09:51 PM »

Do on the barbie! Stuff belly with celery, green onion, garlic, butter, and your favorite spices. Line each side of outer fish with lemon slices. Wrap in foil and turn a few times on barbie. Enjoy..............

drivel

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 02:23:48 PM »

Try harvesting slightly smaller trout. They are often less muddy.

Filet the trout and take the skin off.  Then remove the brown fat layer that sits between the skin and the meat.  This often holds some of the less pleasant flavours.

Dry the filets.  add salt & pepper. Dip in Panko (japanese bread crumbs) and fry in half butter and half vegetable oil (not olive)
Serve with lemon wedges.

If its still a bit muddy, serve it with a remoulade : Mix Mayo, a bit of dijon, capers, red onion (minced), lemon , salt and pepper.  (I usually use anchovie paste instead of the salt.  (Don't put too much).

d.

fisherwithrod

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 12:24:28 PM »

I jst love this one, and it is easy to make:

GRILLED TROUT   

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. dry white wine or lemon juice
2 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon (or 1 tsp. dried)
1/4 tsp. each salt & pepper
4 (6 oz.) salmon trout or rainbow trout fillets
For garnish: Tarragon sprigs & lemon wedges

1. Put oil, wine, tarragon, salt and pepper into a heavy plastic bag. Add fillets. Close bag and turn to coat fish. Refrigerate 1-2 hours, turning once or twice.
2. Grill fish in lightly oiled wire basket or on grilling screen over hot coals 5-7 minutes, turning once, until fillets are barely opaque in thickest part when tested with knife. Or broil on oiled broiler pan rack as close to heat as possible, 5-7 minutes without turning fish. Garnish with tarragon and lemon wedges.

Bon appetit!

guy

catch22

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 05:46:42 PM »

hello fishingnewt, i have an awesome recipe thats really easy, place trout fillet in Tupperware container skin down,cover  litely in brown sugar then drizzle with china lily soysauce until evenly coved,let sit for an hour or so.after its marinaded for awhile put it on the BBQ skin down on high ,watch carefully .it usually takes about 5 10 min depending on trout size ,when it flakes its ready. as for as your trout tasting like mud unfortunately your just eating fish from the wrong lakes,most local lakes and some interior lakes like forest Lek have fish that taste like turf no matter what you do.

Fishmaster J

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 03:41:21 PM »

Fresh rainbow, in a pan with garlic butter.  cant beat it!!