Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: smoking white springs  (Read 19305 times)

Nitroholic

Re: smoking white springs
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 12:33:27 PM »

How would you guys compare a white spring to a chum smoked? I make some great chum jerky, just wondering if I should try it with a white spring  8)

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 04:34:50 PM »

Nitroholic, care to share your recipe for jerky?? Get plenty of chrome chum up my way ;D
always a student

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 08:25:53 PM »

Just before you finish the smoke coat them in maple syrup or honey.

Nitroholic

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 12:11:39 AM »

Nitroholic, care to share your recipe for jerky?? Get plenty of chrome chum up my way ;D

you betcha! I usually use chum for this. What I do is take my filleted fish and thinly slice it to get the dementions of about 2in x 2in and maybe 1/8in thick. I then lay the strips down in an enamel pot. Then I take my non-iodized salt and cover it. Next is the secrete ingrediant; Montreal Steak spice. Shake a ton on then continue on to put a nice layer of demura brown sugar. If you still have extra fish, continue layering it on top. Brine for 24 hours, then air dry for 12. Then put it in the smoker, I use a big chief, and it doesn't take long before its done. 2-3 shots of smoke then keep the heat on to dry it out. Finished product gives a flavourful chewy peice of salmon jerky  ;D

PS make a lot, it goes quick  :D

WEEFISH

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 09:54:30 PM »

After the brine do you refrigerate for the air dry or leave it out??
<"((((><

Nitroholic

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 11:32:14 PM »

After the brine do you refrigerate for the air dry or leave it out??

I put it on my smoker racks with a fan next to them and leave it on my kitchen table to dry, so room temperature.

cohoking

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 10:25:29 PM »

Thanks to all you guys posting on curing white springs. I've been giving all mine away at the fraser. Nice white springs that aren't too stinky. Next year I'll brine them. cochoking

gordc

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 04:29:14 PM »

I have read that home smoked salmon is among the most dangerous foods to eat.  Botchulism is a major risk if the meat temperature does not reach 160 for a minimum of 30min.  That said does anyone have good info on how to safely cold smoke considering I have a digital Bradley smoker.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 04:34:39 PM »

I have never had a problem in 4 years of smoking salmon..... I wonder where you are getting your statistics from  ???  I guess it helps when I dont kill rotting chum and black springs like I see so many others keep  :-X

Cover the fish in table salt, then add a layer of demerara sugar on to the top of it (cover the fish so you can't see it at all). After this shake soy sauce all over the top of the fillets. You can leave them in the cooler for 1-4 days (longer the better taste), just make sure you keep ice on it. I smoke with either hickory or maple chips, gives an awesome taste. Make sure you cut the fish into thin strips before you smoke it... this will ensure the whole section of meat dries out and it goes alot faster.  ;)

gordc

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 11:26:01 AM »

http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/tan/x5902e/x5902e01.htm        http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/02vol28/dr2806ea.html     

Here are a couple of articles I've read but there are several.  I'm not sure if there's any merit to this or not but I am exceptionally paranoid when it comes to things like this so therefore I am willing to take any and all precautions necesaary to produce a safe smoke fish.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 11:27:58 AM by gordc »

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 12:58:45 PM »

For really thick fillets can you slice the flesh into thinner layers?  It would seem that this would allow for better flavor penetration and make the fish more jerky-like faster.

In terms of the threat of food poisoning, freezing the fish completely before smoking does kill some parasites.  I know some people will also put their fish in the oven with the temperature in the 200s after smoking it too, but I have never tried this myself.

robj

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 02:31:09 PM »

I think the most important thing when smoking fish, is it should be frozen prior to or after smoking before it is eaten.  It is safe to assume that all fish have parasites, and these can be dangerous if the fish is not properly processed.  If you are sport fishing, then bleed the fish and clean it shortly thereafter.  This lowers the risks of some of the parasites from the guts entering the flesh.  I did a little research on this after I spotten white worms in sockeye flesh a while back.  Freezing kills them.

I have cold smoked salmon for years without incident.  My brine recipe is 1 cup each of brown sugar and salt, 1 tablespoon of garlic and onion powder.  Sprinkle onto the filets until covered and let sit in the fridge for about 24 hours.

Have a gret day,

Rob.

WEEFISH

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 11:00:38 PM »

I think all the salt in the brine will also ward off any parasites  ???
<"((((><

daveyjoneser

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 07:46:49 PM »

I have smoked many whites I usually use an 8 hr brine 4 cups aqua,3/4 cup seasalt,2 cups demerera sugar,1/4 cup worchester sauce,I smoke 5 or 6 pans of hickory flavored chips and then leave the smoker run a total of 18 to 24 hrs,shut smoker off and leave another 6 to 8 hrs,I do this with a little chief and it always comes out great