Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: leader lenght for fly fishing the stave river  (Read 2737 times)

ray

• I'm a llama!
leader lenght for fly fishing the stave river
« on: October 11, 2009, 11:42:54 AM »

I'm going to go to the stave river this coming  week and want to try flyfishing for salmon and want to know what length and size of leader i should use. Ive never flyfished for salmon so any info would be appreciated. I was also wondering what flies would work and what weight of sink tip would work best. Thanks

Ray

Banny

Re: leader lenght for fly fishing the stave river
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 11:55:54 AM »

Highly dependent on the type of water you are fishing.  The heavier the tip the shorter the leader, especially if you are swinging the fly instead of casting and retrieving.  With a heavy tip on about 2 feet of leader is all that is needed.  If you are using a clear intermediate tip in frog water a leader of up to 8 feet may be appropriate.  Straight 8 pound is adequate for the chum there, heavy enough to play the fish but easy to break off if you foul hook a large chum.

J

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 11:58:16 AM »

sink tip all depends on how deep or fast the water is. I normally use around 4/5 feet of leader for most river fishing, If its super clear and shallow i will go longer. a good all around test for leader would be 10lb, light enough that you can get coho and strong enough to pull in chum. for chum i like to keep it simple with pink or pink/purple wooly buggers. If you trying to get into some coho take a look at the "fly fishing for coho" thread for fly ideas and techniques.

If i had to pick 2 sink tips they would be a type 3 & type 6. however when i fished the main flow last year i fished a short hunk of T14 bcause it was so deep and faster current.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 01:19:40 PM »

Really short- like 2' assuming you are using a sink tip for chum.

You want this

then two feet of this:

then somethign like this;

;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 05:34:18 PM by Matt »

Min

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 04:45:51 PM »

Ah  Good !!!  pictures !!! that I can understand   ;D

I am hoping to try for some salmon myself, perhaps this weekend.  And just like the pictures, I am trying to 'keep it simple'