Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dogfish Fish & Chips?  (Read 2532 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Dogfish Fish & Chips?
« on: January 29, 2017, 12:10:21 PM »

I read somewhere online that dogfish has been used for decades in fish and chips in the UK. Is it worth trying? Heading out on a charter in a couple of weeks and thinking of keeping one if the opportunity presents itself.

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Re: Dogfish Fish & Chips?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 12:15:36 PM »

This is off the top of my head but you can research it. Sharks store nitrogen waste products in their muscle tissue. Before eating, the flesh has to be marinated to remove the urea.
The British soak the flesh in milk before using but dogfish , or salmon shark as they call it, are used for fish and chips.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

TimL

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 01:14:37 PM »

I've had shark before (not in BC) fried fish and chips style. It's very good..firm, not unlike halibut. Yes you have to treat the meat before eating to get rid of the urea..same thing with their relatives, the skates and rays.
Another issue with them is the mercury content in their flesh since they sit pretty high on the food chain (this is a common issue with large predator fish). There is a recommendation that larger dogfish (over 60 cm) be released as their mercury levels may be above safe levels for consumption.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 01:46:41 PM »

I have heard they are quite tasty & make good fish and chips. Also understand it is best to fillet and skin as soon as they are killed. Over 3,000 tons is caught annually here in BC and most exported to Europe and much ends up as fish and chips

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/spiny+dogfish+makes+history+world+first+sustainable+shark+fishery/5432392/story.html
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.