Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Center pin help .  (Read 3182 times)

Bingbamboom

Center pin help .
« on: January 25, 2017, 10:44:00 PM »

I saved my butt off and bought an Islander Steelheader reel. The guy at the fishing store paired it with a G Loomis GL2 medium fast action with  an 8-12 lb line recommendation . Here's the question, the guy spooled my reel with 20 lb mono and said that should be fine. Is that true ?  Would love to take it for a spin, but if the line is too heavy , I'd rather return the rod un-used.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: Center pin help .
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 11:21:33 PM »

It will be ok. as long as your leader is between 8-12 lb.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 06:44:42 AM »

I have the same rod paired with an older silex & 20lb mono. No problems & I have landed springs up to about 20lbs with the rig.. If you ever hook (or worse snag) a large chum or chinook take care with the rod ie don't yank a massive bend into it or pull up behind your head. I am sure you know this but, that's when the rod may break.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 06:48:42 AM »

It'll be just fine. Is it your first pin? The stiffer line will pay out easier for you if you're learning. I personally run 15lb ultragreen mainline and did so on the exact rod you have.

Bingbamboom

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 05:18:34 PM »

This is indeed my first center pin and rod. Thanks for everyone's help. I did also call the store to see if a mistake had been made. The sales person assured me that everything should be fine. So i guess i will have to break it in. Pretty darn excited to move into this new technique.

sbc hris

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 06:37:04 PM »

I have the exact set up as you do. I like it a lot. I'm running 15 lb maxima chameleon on mine.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 08:27:06 PM »

What they said.

It helps to use heavier weights and floats when you get started fishing the CP.  30 grams and up will make it easier to learn how to cast.

Welcome to the dark side, tight lines..

bobby b

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 08:32:50 AM »

Indeed.... welcome

Heavier mainline than rod rating is fine ...the leader should be lighter to match the lower rating(s) of the rod.

I have settled on 20lb UG main for my pins. Have tried others but keep going back to UG

Have fun ..

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 09:00:42 AM »

I saved my butt off and bought an Islander Steelheader reel. The guy at the fishing store paired it with a G Loomis GL2 medium fast action with  an 8-12 lb line recommendation . Here's the question, the guy spooled my reel with 20 lb mono and said that should be fine. Is that true ?  Would love to take it for a spin, but if the line is too heavy , I'd rather return the rod un-used.

Am I reading this right? You'd return the rod if you weren't happy with the staff's choice of mono mainline? Wouldn't it be more pragmatic to just replace the 20lb with a lighter mainline, such as 15lb or whatever?

As others have said it is 100% fine to use a line that is stronger than the rod's line rating. In this case 20lb on a rod with 8-12 line rating. If you snag up just make sure to snap it off with your rod straight, as if you overload the rod trying to break it off you may instead break the rod.

I fish 20lb mainline on my pin reel and most of my baitcasters, and most of my float rods are in the 8-12, 8-17 line rating. I like the heavier mainline as if it gets a little nick or abrasion on it, it should still be fine not to bust off when I hook a big salmon/steelhead. I typically run 12lb leader and just don't feel confidant with 15lb mainline and only 3lbs diff between the 2 lines. It really sucks when your leader gets hung up, you go to break it off, and your mainline breaks! I had this happen the odd time with 15 mainline, but pretty much never with the 20.

This being said I do have a baitcaster that I run 15lb mainline on, and another with 12. These are smaller 200 series reels that do not hold a lot of line. The lighter mainline is nice as I can still get a decent amount of line of these reels. I typically use these reel on light rods for pinks and coho. Leader is typically 6 or 8lb. For bigger salmon and steelhead I prefer heavier gear and line.

Lastly, you will notice that when trying to keep your line off the water during your drift it is easier with the lighter mainline. Heavier line has more "sag." In the end mono is cheap, so try the 20lb for a while, then cut it off and try some 15, or even 12. You'll eventually settle on what you like and what works for how you like to fish. Just keep in mind that generally it I recommended to have min of 5lb diff between mainline and leader.

SPEYMAN

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 02:21:34 PM »

You could use 30lb if you wanted. The casting ability is what you should be concerned with. Poundage is not as important as line thickness and stiffness.

That combination should be fine. When you obtain a little more ability and knowledge, you will understand.

Get out there and fish.