Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pikeminnows  (Read 8045 times)

tumbleweed

Pikeminnow dough
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 02:19:47 PM »

To make the dough with a scent. Do I just mix flour,water and scent? How does this stay on the hook? Does it not just dissolve in the water and fall off?  Sorry for all the questions.   I was using dew worms and having pretty good luck, but if I can make bait at home that's even better.

tumbleweed

Re: Pikeminnows
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 02:21:16 PM »

Went out again this morning with my two sons and had a blast. The biggest we caught was about 12 inches.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Pikeminnow dough
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 04:18:13 PM »

To make the dough with a scent. Do I just mix flour,water and scent? How does this stay on the hook? Does it not just dissolve in the water and fall off?  Sorry for all the questions.   I was using dew worms and having pretty good luck, but if I can make bait at home that's even better.

Yep, simply pour flour and your scent (curry powder, etc) into a bowl. Add water in small portions while stir and mix. The texture depends on how much water you add. I usually add water until I can roll small dough balls in my hands without having pieces stuck on my hands. You can also add some corn meal into the mixture.

Ben!

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 12:41:35 AM »

Hey Rodney,

Would you suggest using the the trout bottom bait fishing method using shrimp (http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2009/0309_01.html) for pikeminnows?

I've been using a small bar rig baited with hotdogs and I haven't been able to catch any pikeminnows, I've only been able to catch sculpins...

Thanks,

oni_kage

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 03:50:38 AM »

Hey Rodney,

Would you suggest using the the trout bottom bait fishing method using shrimp (http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2009/0309_01.html) for pikeminnows?

I've been using a small bar rig baited with hotdogs and I haven't been able to catch any pikeminnows, I've only been able to catch sculpins...

Thanks,

I am not Rodney but maybe I can chime in
When the water is a little clear use a small spinner. Also i have caught them with very tiny pieces of worm. I will usually catch more pea mouth chub tho and every 6th would be a pike minnow. Make sure you are using a very tiny hook, maybe size 8 andfish for them on the bottom with bait. As to sculpins, you can't really avoid them... hehe

stlucio

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 02:30:35 PM »

there were literally 100's of them at the laidlaw exit. I was cleaning a salmon and they swarmed the guts downstream in 4" OF WATER!!! I left the salmon for 2 minutes and I came back and they were ACTUALLY INSIDE THE BELLY! IT was insane! While waiting for a friend I would fish for them using salmon innards. When they became less frequent, i would dip some of the liver in the water and create a blood trail. Within a minute they would come rushing back.

hello oni kage, thx for the reply.

but where is the laidlaw exit you were talking about?
can you give me the exact direction to this place?
thanks

oni_kage

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 03:06:50 PM »

hello oni kage, thx for the reply.

but where is the laidlaw exit you were talking about?
can you give me the exact direction to this place?
thanks

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=49.313289,-121.632879&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=17&sll=49.312247,-121.631656&sspn=0.004994,0.016512&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17

Right to the left of the 'B' marker is where you park.There is that little gravel patch. there will be tonnes of cars there so it won't be hard to find. Take the Laidlaw exit on highway 1 and go under the highway and go along the gravel road until you hit that gravel parking lot.

Then there will be a trail down to the river. There will be this small area of water, walk through it or around it towards the river. You should see salmon fishermen there. The pike minnows dissipated around 11 am so I suggest going there before that. If you planning on going there I would bring your bottom bouncing gear and fish for salmon in the morning and make it worth your while. If you catch a spring start cleaning it and they will come... in hordes

stlucio

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 06:01:48 PM »

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=49.313289,-121.632879&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=17&sll=49.312247,-121.631656&sspn=0.004994,0.016512&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17

Right to the left of the 'B' marker is where you park.There is that little gravel patch. there will be tonnes of cars there so it won't be hard to find. Take the Laidlaw exit on highway 1 and go under the highway and go along the gravel road until you hit that gravel parking lot.

Then there will be a trail down to the river. There will be this small area of water, walk through it or around it towards the river. You should see salmon fishermen there. The pike minnows dissipated around 11 am so I suggest going there before that. If you planning on going there I would bring your bottom bouncing gear and fish for salmon in the morning and make it worth your while. If you catch a spring start cleaning it and they will come... in hordes

thanks oni kage.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 03:40:09 AM »

Hey Rodney,

Give dough a go. Shrimp, dew worms etc tend to attract more sculpins than pikeminnows and chubs down here. The bottom rig (either the sliding weight setup or the bar rig) should work for any species since all of them inhabit near the bottom of the river.

Ben!

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 06:16:57 PM »

I am not Rodney but maybe I can chime in
When the water is a little clear use a small spinner. Also i have caught them with very tiny pieces of worm. I will usually catch more pea mouth chub tho and every 6th would be a pike minnow. Make sure you are using a very tiny hook, maybe size 8 andfish for them on the bottom with bait. As to sculpins, you can't really avoid them... hehe

If you were fishing for peamouth but caught a pikeminnow, i suspect that you were using small hooks. If so, was it hard to keep the pikeminnow on such a small hook?

Thanks,

tumbleweed

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 06:30:50 PM »

What size hook should we be using?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »

When targeting whatever species in the summer with bait (excluding salmonids of course), I tend to use hooks between size 10 and 14. Small hooks aren't really a big issue for large pikeminnows. They may break off from time to time of course. When using spinners or small spoons, I use size 2 hooks.

tumbleweed

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 09:48:27 PM »

Thanks for your help Rodney!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 09:43:41 PM »

Finally got a couple bigger ones on the spinner today.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=137

tumbleweed

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009, 10:04:36 PM »

Nice fish! I will  try again this weekend. These are fun fish to catch.