Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing very good today  (Read 4019 times)

sassygrams

Fishing very good today
« on: November 11, 2006, 01:22:42 PM »

;D I DID IT!  I finally caught a coho  ;D ;D ;D  I went in North Vancouver this morning with my hunny and about an hour later - wham....  He took it right in his mouth and off he went - he was very pretty, very silver - he was a nice looking one, I think.  My hunny says about 4 pounds at the most - so small compared to most of yours probably but I was very excited.  Then, after a couple more casts I had a huge chum - wow he was big, but I got too excited and hurried and he broke my line.  If I wouldn't have got so excited I would have brought him in.....  What a good day that was for me. 
I have a question though - I normally release any fish I catch but I would like to keep a coho if allowed.  The one I caught had the back fin still on - am I allowed to keep those in North  Vancouver?  I read the sign and it said hatchery only during certain times, and 4 per day on the other months and this is one of those months. 

Going back out tomorrow morning.....  Maybe I wasn't doing anything wrong - maybe just wasn't my time.  Well, still wanting help so I can learn good. 

Did I tell you I finally caught a coho :)
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing very good today
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 01:42:38 PM »

I believe you are allowed 4 cohos regardless whether they are wild or hatchery at this time of year.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 01:53:50 PM »

Hatchery only in the capilano - adipose fin must be gone. And no retention of chum salmon in the Capilano.
You don't make friends with salad.

Cirrostratus

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 02:09:26 PM »

Congrats on your coho catch! sounds like you had a great time. You are allowed 4 hatchery coho per day on the Capilano River. This is the link to the Fisheries website which has links under regulations for the freshwater regulations synopsis and a link for the salmon regs supplement: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/synopsis.html This link shall take you directly to the salmon regs supplement for the Lower Mainland: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Freshwater/region2_e.htm

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 02:24:14 PM »

just to make sure you are looking for the right fin.  http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/051005-1.html

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 02:27:49 PM »

Alright good job, and you didn't have to wait that long at all.
Fish on!

Ribwart

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 05:35:40 PM »

Nice work sassygrams! Feels great doesn't it? ;D

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 06:03:40 PM »

wait untill you get you first steelhead the you will be really hooked ;D

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 08:22:17 PM »

congrats of the Ho  ;D just have to put in your time and it' will pay off at the end.

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 10:04:45 PM »

Hey Sassy, sounds like you did better than we did today.  Glad you to hear you caught your first Coho. I am going up Sunday morning. :)

sassygrams

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 03:10:58 PM »

I went out again on Sunday - today and I got another coho - and my hunny got one too plus a chum.....  Yahoo!  We went out first thing this morning - no one else out of their mind to stand in the pouring rain so it was very quite people wise, but fishes jumping all around.  I got one on but he went in the rapids and I lost him - shoot :(  But, my hunny got one one right after which was his first in the lower mainland :)  Yippee, Yahoo....  Saw only two other people crazy enough in that rain but it was fun - The other two fellows had one each on while I was there - nice to see. 

Going out one more day before work week starts - tomorrow am so I hope to get just one more and I'll be thrilled.  Going to buy a rain suit, and gloves, and maybe a longer rod this weekend - can't wait.  Can someone tell me when this salmon run stops and when the steelhead start to run - I want to fly fish then, can't wait. 

Thanks to all your advice and watching the others fish, I am learning and it is fun :)  Thanks
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

allwaysfishin

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 04:39:39 PM »

congrats on your success!!
from now till end of march/april there will be pursuable fish in most of our local rivers and backwaters. Fall "Salmon season"  generally starts in sept and will run into early december depending on the waters you choose. Steelhead will start to appear from now, mid november and will carry on through till april, with feb and march being prime time.

theweev

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 08:09:38 PM »

atta girl Sassy!! I was in to 2 chum but he coho's eluded me. was on the lower river but missed you. was up top around 2 when i ran into Ribwart. good to hear in was merely time you were fighting and not ability. I'll be out tomorrow. still deciding if it's the Cap or the Seymour.

sassygrams

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 08:36:55 PM »

if you are there in the wee morning hours - i'll be under the little bridge with my hunny so come by and say hi....  would be nice to be able to put faces with names in here.  Besides, with steelhead coming, I'll need all the help I can get as I would like to fly fish for them  ::)