Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Please becareful out on the river.  (Read 7746 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
Re: Please becareful out on the river.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 05:35:57 PM »

normal i wont touch this topic with a ten foot pole but i think he was just calling it as he saw it. would it be any different if it was a group of any other race? no it wouldn't. their is people who do stupid cupcakes no matter what race. easy on the racist card.

But this is a public forum where people can easily start stereotyping based on what is written. Complaining about a group of people's behavior without mentioning exactly what they do is not being fair, and mentioning their race which has nothing to do with the topic of this thread is uncalled for. This only leads to stereotyping. How sure are we that the group is Chinese anyway? There are many Vietnamese and Koreans fishing the river now. Unless you are Chinese yourself and can discern their spoken language, there is very little to tell from facial feature that they are this group or that. How many can tell the difference between Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Malaysian, Singaporeans, Vietnamese, etc if you can't differentiate their languages?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 06:39:34 PM »

Fair enough, he did say that they weren't respecting other people and not fishing ethically. I think I missed a post that got deleted.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »

Bunnta - I am going to assume that you may also be an immigrant by how badly your written English and grammar are. It reads as though you were speaking to us in person in broken english. It looks badly when people call out other races here or anywhere else. I would assume there is a chance it may have been done to you at some point in your earlier fishing years as well, which is wrong.

I will personally call out individual people/persons but not because of their race but because of their actions. If I was ever to refer to them on a public forum such as this race would never cross my mind to add into it. There is just no need for it  ::)

When you post in public places you need to be tolerant to everyone whether it be their race, age, sex..........etc.

have a good one

Hey James .  You said it right buddy

corgi

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 10:02:38 PM »

This is my first salmon season and finally got waders a few weeks ago. 

I didn't realize how scary it is walking through current even though it's only knee high! My breathable wader isn't super tight so it causes drag that adds to the current.   

As I'm starting to get more curious to explore new rivers and fishing spots, I read about a sad story on this forum about a drowning at cable pool on the capilano a few years back.  Slippery rocks and tree roots/trunks, etc...

It made me start looking for one of those auto-inflatable collars that was mentioned in the thread.  If you're spending $ already on all of the tackle and gear, it's really not that much more to get the extra safety net.  Or you could potentially help if you're at the site of someone falling in...

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 10:09:30 PM »

I think most of us who had fished more than several years have experienced or seen something like this.

Hopefully, we all learned ( including the person who almost drowned ) from our experience and never have to be put into that position again.

As for me, I would never put myself in a dangerous situation.

sugartooth

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 11:37:15 PM »

If a lure is that important, strip down and go for a swim. Some days I feel like you should need a special license to buy waders

Saw this on the vedder today. A guy stripped down and went for a swim through a slow deep pool to retreive something.
On Sunday i watched a guy cross a side stream. There was quite the elavation drop so the current was moving fast. Water was just above the knees. He went face down into the water got up and started moving only to go down again. He made it across after going down 4 or 5 times. My friend,who was there earlier than I was,said he did the same thing earlier when he crossed heading the other direction.

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 08:37:48 AM »

If you can then wear a PFD at all times or at the least in areas you know could get out of hand fast. A vest that auto inflates is best because even if you smash your head on the fall it will still inflate

I think it's also a good time to remind everyone to keep your wading belt on tight, it may not prevent your waders from completely filling up but it will definitely slow the rate water comes in if you take a swim. Stay safe out there everyone, a fish or lure is never worth risking your life.

It made me start looking for one of those auto-inflatable collars that was mentioned in the thread.  If you're spending $ already on all of the tackle and gear, it's really not that much more to get the extra safety net.  Or you could potentially help if you're at the site of someone falling in...

after seeing two people almost drown this season, and not being able to help because the auto-inflatable life jacket I had was in the trunk of my car, I've started wearing it all the time now, even when i feel ridiculous.  And I also carry a rope in my backpack, and a wading stick with me, and I wear a wading belt of some sort.
a little bit more bulk, but the peace of mind is so worth it.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »

common sense goes a long way with wading

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 12:56:30 PM »

if you take ONE STEP into current that makes you think twice then your better off to just back out and try crossing somewhere else or not at all. This is what I use to gauge where I will and wont wade unless I know its only 1-3 steps of stupid then I might go for it which could turn out badly of course. My friends and I will lock ourselves tightly together to cross heavier current because it helps in overall body mass (weight) and cutting the current for the shorter or weaker wading people. we may look like lovable morons but at least we are not swimming for our lives.

I have been locked to a shorter buddy of mine many times where we are crossing and I can feel his feet literally float off the bottom. This is counter productive because now he is weight being pulled in the current not through the current which could pull us in extremely easy, thankfully its only a couple steps usually and he warns me ahead of time that he is losing his footing so im prepared. I did the same with a buddies gf taking her to some good fly water a couple weeks back, she didn't warn me when she broke free and we almost went in because I wasn't ready for it and it happened while I was mid-step.

if your wading with other people communication is huge. If you don't feel comfortable following your friends across then say something. either they will leave you behind to fish somewhere close-by on your own, help you cross or leave and fish somewhere else with you.

tip - if you do get into current to heavy and need to turn around. always turn INTO the current not with it. also you should always be walking against the current when wading. yes there are times you need to wade with the current and the key then is to keep yourself moving slow enough you can control your step distance and traction. I have seen many people go down wading even in ankle deep water going downstream with decent current

be careful out there guys/gals
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 04:50:29 PM »

I have been locked to a shorter buddy of mine many times where we are crossing and I can feel his feet literally float off the bottom. This is counter productive because now he is weight being pulled in the current not through the current which could pull us in extremely easy

Here's some golden rules of wading C&P-ed from a post written by a friend of mine on another forum. I am sure he won't mind having them shared here.

Rule: strong wader on the up stream side, arms linked across the shoulders firmly grasping shoulders or arms or low on the waist, with the idea that if one guy slips the other can hold him without getting blown over. Two men linked this way can cross really insane water, three or more gets you into some unfished water.

Rule: always try to go with the current, no stopping and turning around. Expect to get wet, make sure you can drop gear from your body or hands from the down stream side. Wading Staff on the up stream side of the up stream wader, down stream of the down stream guy. Wear a tight fitting wading belt. Place the wading staff, take step with up stream leg. Check footing, move downstream leg into the lee of up stream leg. Check footing, Move staff. repeat.

Rule: learn what cold water response is, always wash your face with the water before making a crossing.

Rule: never, cross above log jams or other obstructions like sweepers etc. Pick tail outs in deeper water that is moving slower than the fast riffle water, take high angle routes downstream rather than trying to cross 90 degrees. Choose your route and expected landing point, making sure you have lots of room for a long down stream slog. Make sure you can make a similar high angle crossing back, going with the current rather than against it. beware of landings near cut banks, as the water tends to be deeper against a cut or high bank.

Rule: If you go down, dont panic. Its only water. Drop gear, drop vests, packs etc. Try to get your feet pointing down stream and get on your back if you can, or try to swim with the current downstream but try getting to the side as you are moving down stream. If you go under try to relax and breath when you can. Dont panic.

Whopperman

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 06:59:31 PM »

common sense goes a long way with wading

"Common" sense is not that common anymore. I've seen some very crazy stuff this year. All I say whenever I see something crazy is 'Darwin'. Race has nothing to do with what I've seen.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 10:00:26 PM »

The crabs and crustaceans have to eat, too! They get tired of just dead salmon carcasses.