Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any opinions on the Abu Record RCN 60/61?  (Read 7775 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Any opinions on the Abu Record RCN 60/61?
« on: March 21, 2013, 06:23:07 PM »

My girlfriend is thinking of buying an Abu Garcia Record RCN61. Does any one own or have an opinion on this reel? It looks like a pretty solid reel. Made in Sweeden, not China. Most reviews on Abu's website are good. Looks like a beefier version of the 6500 C3, I have a 6501 C3 and absolutley love it!

She wanted to buy a Shimano Calcutta 400B, but they don't make it in left hand retrieve!! What the hell? Then she was looking at the Abu Revo Toro, then found out it is also only available in RIGHT hand! Why do reel makers do this?! Very annoying.

Anyway, I haven't seen this reel sold in stores, although I may have missed it. She will be using it primarily on the Vedder for Springs, Chum, etc. She has a smaller baitcaster for coho, pinks, and steelhead.

Here's a link to the reel:

http://www.abugarcia.com/products/reels/round-reels/ambassadeur-round-baitcast/record
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:12:39 PM by Spawn Sack »

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Any opinions on the Abu Record RCN 60/61?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 06:37:09 PM »

Excellent choice!

If I wasn't infatuated with vintage Ambassadeur reels (both as a collector and a user, this is the exact reel I would be using for the Vedder.

Unlike the Chinese made BCX and other "disposable" reels made by ABU, these Record reels are made in ABU Garcia's factory in Svangsta, the same place where the original Ambassadeur reels that set the industry standard 60 years ago were dreamed up and first produced.

I had the chance to use one not long ago and my humble personal opinion is that they have what it takes!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 09:40:40 PM »

Thanks good to hear! Read quite a few reviews on the reel, seems most people who bought it rave about it. The price is also pretty reasonable. $179.99 online (in USD) and $199 at my local tackle shop (on their website, not sure if it's in stock). If she buys it I imagine we'll just get it from the local shop. After exchange rate and shipping would save very little. Will be going to check out the reel in person soon.

76t7

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »

I have 2 of these reels that I bought from cabala's a few years ago and I really like them. I've had them serviced and upgraded at mikes with ceramic parts and carbon fiber  drag washers.  I use them mainly for big fish on the Fraser and elsewhere so they get quite a workout every year and with regular maintenance they have performed well. they cast as far as my Te 400s and the drag is almost as smooth as well. so considering the cost of the 400s and the fact that they are not made anymore I think that the records are a good choice, they are versatile reels that you can use for everything from 40lb springs to 4lb pinks and everything in between.
enjoy   

riley dog

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:40:48 AM »

I bought a record 60 a couple of years ago. $199.00 at Berry's in Richmond as i recall. Nice, and smooth to work with, and casts easy. Seems durable as i have not had any hick ups with it. I have a lot of confidence in it.
Cheers.

Ken D

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 10:05:59 PM »

Records are very nice reels for the money. Easy to service, and a myriad of options to change things to suit. If you are still hunting for a Calcutta, the CT401D is a round one, out there for around 390. http://www.canalbaitandtackle.com/shimano-calcutta-401-d-left-hand/

Keeping in mind, of course, that the Pacific Rim folks love their "fiddley little bits" with a parts count not quite double that of the Record !! Here a bit, there a bit, everywhere a bit-bit..old shimano had a reel, eei eei oh...  8)
Scandis are practical folks, and even these days, kept the parts count low, with replacements affordable, and available.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 10:07:45 PM by Ken D »

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 11:17:40 PM »

Love the Abu RCN60HC! It is a brute, incredibly durable and very low maintenance. I highly recommend!
---------------------¿<•}},'-'{]~~~~~~~~~~~~~

riley dog

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 11:28:27 PM »

Dropped into Army,& Navy to renew the fishing licence. They have the Abu RCN60HC @ $ 184.99. Seems fair. Should check out the other stores up coming sales as well . I would certainly buy this reel again, and probably will.