Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 chehalis River conditions  (Read 7719 times)

fishonsteelheader

2007 chehalis River conditions
« on: October 06, 2007, 09:11:27 PM »

does any one know what the river is like fish or no fish
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 01:48:56 AM by Rodney »
love to fish.

kosanin kosher salt

Re: chehalis
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 10:33:31 AM »

went to the hatchery   about 5 days ago and they were dividing  the fish into groups since there is a  reasonably  amount of fish entering  many pinks , for every for 4 pinks theres  about one chum  . and im not sure if this is irregular  but there were  4 summmer steelhead      one actaully looked  not bad  had silver and quite  energenic . no  coho  yet they said.   after the hatchery  we walked down ,  agian many pinks  , dirty chums  until we got to a nice pool  waited there  and hoped for  a couple coho  to come through   . nothing  but there were another couple summer steelhead in the mix  they would go after my  silver spinner and  just when it got to the tip of it  it would fly off.   after that  my friend showed  me a place called bible run he said , he said it used to be awsome   years back  casted in to this wide long  still pool   and   out  coming from the trees were two small coho  chasing after  my spinner , out of the  5 times casted   i got one hit  after that they hid under  the trees  (spooked out) but  small only about 4 pounders . walked more until we saw  a bigger coho  hiding   on the surface  within  some big logs    casted twice until it dissapered  walked  back to the parking lot  and headed home . never did fish the  main river    had a felling it was to high .  please can someone say  is it  strange to see  summer stellhead in october ??? and  fishonsteelheader  i dont know if this reply  helps you  but if was going to fish  the chehalis again i would go to the canyon  since there are fish entering  with higher water now.

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 01:07:20 PM »

Thanks salt :D No it not strange at this time of the year as there is still some in the vedder as well how did the bible run look  ??? was the work they did on the river the pools that they added still there and if you fished the bible run you did fish the main river
love to fish.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 12:25:40 AM »

well i didnt bushwhack the chehalis last year , becuase i heard no decent reports  for coho fishing . (really poor last year)  , except  taking a look at the hatchery a couple times. but since two years back the river changed alot , some of the nice pools dont exist  (close to the reserve ) . and i guess i wasnt  at bible run  , because this place was definatly not the main river .  it was joined with  some hatchery water  and a  wide creek above   my friend  said that  this palce was really good  until  there were too many fisherman on some private land . and the guy who owned the land one day brought in  all these trucks and dumped a bunch of boulders and destroyed the run .  i guess hes wrong but steelheader  do you know the run there  and whats it called ,? might not even have a name  , just curious

johnny

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 05:31:36 AM »

Thanks salt :D No it not strange at this time of the year as there is still some in the vedder as well
The vedder doesn't have a summer run of steelhead..
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 09:35:19 AM »

The Chehalis in its glory days, produced lots of coho and steelhead. We would fish just below the hatchery area( we call it the long run-see last picture ) and would hook into cohos all day long. Steelhead fishing was the same. Years ago, you could walk all the way down to Prudy(spelling may not be correct) and hook into some nice fish. The water was nice and deep during those days.

The Conference Run was another nice run(just above the hatchery) and during coho season, we would get in early and someone would have started a fire and we would gather around to keep warm and chit chat about fishing stories. I think that is why it holds the name " Conference Run ".

The thing about someone dumping rocks to block off the river is a myth. The river basically changed it course and decided to go through the camp ground instead. I think they tried to re-divert the water but it kept going back through the camp ground. I was there last week just as the high water was about to lower and was surprised how much it has changed. Here are some pictures:

The run is a lot longer now and across is the Bible Camp. Notice the higher dyke they constructed for flood control?

As you walk out from the campground, you will notice  that the run turns to the left now. You will notice that no water goes to the hatchery anymore.

Another picture.

Catch of the day at the Chehalis.

Ah...those good ole' days where one could easily hook into 4 or 5 steelhead a day!!(picture taken from way back)

Fishing the Chehalis is somewhat worrisome because at anytime, your car can be broken into. Mine was broken in once and I know lots more breakins with friend's cars.

We have not been back to the Chehalis for quite awhile now but decided to give it a try last week. We were the luckiest guys that day as we had the whole river to ourselves and was into cohos after cohos. The Chehalis is a funny river as it can change drastically the next day as evidenced by my friends that tried the next day with nothing to show. Apparently, it has been slow since that day-go figure!!!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 03:50:20 PM by steelieman »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 04:07:23 PM »

Haven't fished the Chehalis for a number of years due to vehicle break ins. Thanks for the pictures Steelieman. It has certainly changed.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 04:49:18 PM »

That run looks like a huge riffle to me without much holding water.  Maybe it's just the photos.  How did things look up closer to the bridge where they put the rock barbs in? 

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 05:09:15 PM »

The water was a bit fast at the top but as it slows down towards the end, it created a long stretch of nice water.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 10:18:52 PM »

This is looking like it should be under fishing reports but anyway I slipped over to the Chehalis today and walked around checking out for some runs when the main coho run comes in.

I started fishing around 10:30 and got two spawned out pinks, one that bit and another I snagged in the hump. :-[ I believe I had a coho on as well but could not confirm.

Sure a large dyke being built below the Healing Centre, to bad they could not spend a few of those dollars to run some water past the hatchery. Of course the Easter Seal run as we had known it for a long time is gone.

Also a few nice coho in the channel. I shot a picture of the dyke and a nice shot of a coho in the channel. I also saw one fellow packing a coho.

All in all a nice hike and trip walking along the river with the trees in their Fall colours.

The hatchery was full of vistors and many more heading to Weaver Creek as well, one could not blame them as it was a lovely Thanksgiving Day.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 01:46:28 AM by Rodney »

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 10:54:08 PM »

Thanks Chris for the report.

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 07:15:21 PM »

Thanks salt :D No it not strange at this time of the year as there is still some in the vedder as well
The vedder doesn't have a summer run of steelhead..
go and read the postings for oct 17 vedder in fishing reports and tell me about steelhead :o
love to fish.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: 2007 chehalis River conditions
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 09:57:02 PM »

Pulled this from another forum, there is now an underwater cam at the Chehalis Hatchery!!!

http://www.hancockwildlifechannel.org/staticpages/index.php/20071006124325454

So excited, watched it for most of the afternoon at work, some nice coho, and a big cutty smiling for the camera today...

;D
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 08:50:45 PM »

can anyone tell me how the river is ???
love to fish.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 11:04:23 PM »

FULL OF WATER ;D ::) ::) ::)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."