Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 Salmon Forecast-Lower Mainland  (Read 7759 times)

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
Re: 2007 Salmon Forecast-Lower Mainland
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 07:44:32 PM »

Rod, you missed one of the big points, most of these runs are enhanced..

Also, DFO has stated there will be no changes for this year.

Mike D.

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 08:29:26 PM »

Good points there rod...I'll tell you what...if I get out there...I'll release a couple more than usual early on for ya  ;D proper ethics....and yes I am slowly getting to know what to say now that I am getting involved...every post is more experience...one day here I'll have the balls to be like who cares what people say!

Mike <")))))))><

fintail1

• got milt?
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 10:05:03 PM »

I'm callin quite a bit of catch and regrease regulations in the future
Fishing is one jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 12:04:20 AM »

Edit: Nevermind, who cares anyway. :-*

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 01:10:48 AM »

Comparing current escapement to early 2000, 1990 and 1980 is not a good comparison.  Back in 1980, that's when the highest number of hatcheries were in operation, the number of brook stock increased dramatically.  However, in 1990 the ocean survival rate dropped  and the salmon escapement numbers dropped, this is further impacted by closure of numerous hatcheries and that further decreased return rate.  Over the years the number kept on dropping due to continuouse bad ocean survival rate and the limited funding available to SEP that reduced the salmon production rate further.

At current return rate we are still slightly better than pre-1980's numbers (before hatcheries).

By limiting all sectors' catch rate this may temparary slow down salmon stock declining rate, but will send a false signal to government that the fishery is recovering and hence, no additional funding is required.

If comparing adult spawner number from BC to that of Washington State (similar salmon migration route), where Washington has an ongoing stable hatchery funding the number has been increasing steadily (dispite of DFO claimed poor ocean survival rate).  The reduction of funding for hatcheries in BC is the major contribution to overall decline.

fullahead

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 08:35:38 AM »

Rodney
           Has a valid point, at some point in time, some segment has to take the high road.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 01:26:06 PM »

Rod, I think the majority of these runs are hatchery supplemented.
So, to say we the sports anglers will cause the demise of these runs is a real stretch.

Also, as noted the Sports Anglers catch few in comparison to others.

DFO has not yet declared these fish an endangered stock, they are a stock of concern.
There is a big difference.

One always has the choice of fishing for these or not.

pretty well my thoughts

I have no problem targeting a particular run for a non- fishery providing all parties sport, native, commercial participate .
as most of those fisheries are supplemented one way or another by hatcheries ,i think it will not be long before government bows out and leases/sells the rights to private concerns .
whats a solution for the good of the 1/ stock 2 / sport ?
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 03:55:44 PM »

You are right about the hatcherys.
If bill C-45 passes, you can be guaranteed they will bocome user pay!!

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2007, 05:43:34 PM »

Good points there rod...I'll tell you what...if I get out there...I'll release a couple more than usual early on for ya  ;D proper ethics....and yes I am slowly getting to know what to say now that I am getting involved...every post is more experience...one day here I'll have the balls to be like who cares what people say!

Mike <")))))))><

personally Mike , I admire someone who says what he is thinking. dressing it up or down makes no difference. say what you mean and mean what you say. that way you won't be accused of being a fence sitting politician. get involved. you don't have to be liked, just respected.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 08:42:27 PM »

This is not good, not alot of springs returning to the Thompson, i might have to actuallly work for them this year!  ;D  :D  8)
Fish killer 101

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 08:52:20 AM »

As always, Rodney, an excellent response to my very simple question.
Fear not, there are enough fish for everyone. If closure is necessary for any species, I'm all for it. None of us are starving, so it's not as though we need the chinook or sockeye to survive. Having 20 million pinks to play with is more than any of us need to enjoy this sport. And remember, it is a sport and not a game of survival.
Enjoy! :) :) :) :)
Thanks again, Rod.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 09:50:27 AM »

You are right about the hatcherys.
If bill C-45 passes, you can be guaranteed they will bocome user pay!!

It's hard to believe we are not already paying with the cost of a license. Or is that banquet money.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Mike D.

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2007, 10:19:18 AM »

Natives have been constantly drift netting for the past week!

Hope this slows down now that the freshet is upon us!

Mike <"))))))))><

buck

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 11:43:17 AM »

Rodney, your data shows a drastic decline in chinook stock for upper and mid Fraser. Concern for these stocks is justified and it might not be too far in the future that we are looking at closures once again. It has been suggested that these stocks have been enhanced which is incorrect. These chinook are all from wild stock with the exception of a small number that are released from Spius hatchery.                       
I just wounder how many chinook it takes to satisfy some of the anglers? Ten chinook averaging 20 lbs = 200 lbs. How many anglers will be consuming that amount of fish? Oh, I forgot that most anglers have large extended families that they have to feed. How many freezer burnt fish are thrown out each year?
Apparently Chris has put a large dent in the chinook population and should be band from the river. Blackberry picking has been great from all reports.