Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River July 20th, Tidal Fraser River July 21st 2010  (Read 732 times)

vancook

• Old Timer

Made my first trip out to the Vedder since February, I fished alone on the river with no sight of another angler all day until moving to my last run of the day. The river was very high and fast where I started out, very different from the winter conditions..waded towards an island that is normally above water to fish a deep pocket. The fast current swept my foot as I was making a step and then took my other foot out from under me, fell and banged up my right knee/leg pretty bad, smashed my reel and I floated downstream a good 20 feet before I could get myself up. Although my reel is damaged I continued to fish my way up river...long deep run of fast water. I didnt see any signs of fish for the first 3 hours, finally as I was baiting up I saw a few jumpers...sockeye from the looks of it. Worked my way along with no luck and decided to hike back to my car and move to a different spot..bushwhacking for over an hour in an attempt for a short cut back. No success on the river that day. I'll probably head back in a couple weeks once the flow slows down a bit.

Headed out for some bar fishing this morning....tried a tidal bar not far off from the tidal boundry...water was very high and was only able to set up on a small patch of rocks. Saw a seal or something swimming about 50 feet from shore, no signs of fish. Saw one jump way out in the middle and that was it. A bit snaggy out there, pulled up 4 spreader bars with lead attached....so although I didnt catch any fish I scored some free pyramid weights and bars. Weather was beautiful and enjoyed my day relaxing along the fraser with a few brews. Probably heading out again next week to another bar with a picnic area so my non fishing friends can have a bbq etc

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River July 20th, Tidal Fraser River July 21st 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:32:03 AM »

Van cook: sorry to hear about your tumble in the river. But as another individual mentioned in another thread you have to be careful when wading in the rivers right  now especially with the higher flows.  Glad things worked out for you, but imagine if you had really done a number on your knee when you first fell down. And as mentioned in your post, there were no other anglers or people to offer you assistance if you had gotten dragged downriver to a deep pool for instance. When fishing alone you have to be very careful, and in some cases, if it seems like you are taking too much of a risk you probably are. Better to be safe than sorry.