Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, March 29th 2009  (Read 734 times)

Morty

Chilliwack River, March 29th 2009
« on: March 29, 2009, 04:32:25 PM »

Fished the lower mid day today.  Water was quite cloudy when I arrived at the lower gravel pile.  It slowly cleared up as the day progressed = about 18" visibility by 2:00.  Got a report that water was still clear above Allison Pool and that some of the claybank just below Allison had slumped into the river causing  almost no visibility at first light.  A lot more fishers out today, not very crowded, but from anywhere I fished I could see 4 or 5 others.  Warm and still air down low.  I heard from some it was cold and windy in the upper river.

After working through the lowest section just above the canal, I decided to move up to Bergman Rd. and try there.  Several guys out on both sides of the river, but no action seen in the hour or so I was there.  I guess I've still got 500 casts to go.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, March 29th 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 08:27:17 PM »

I was also at the gravel pile, but a bit earlier.
I was surprised to see three other cars there at 6:45, but was happy to see no fishers in sight at the head of the run. I guess they all went down towards the canal.
Visibility was maybe 18" when I got there but quickly degraded to less than 12" by 10am. Pretty tough to get anything to chase the fly with that visibility.
I figured the upper would be the only real option and headed on up above Allison.
I got to the run I wanted to fish just as two others were leaving upstream and one was leaving downstream.
Visibility was more than 3 feet when I arrived but in the hour I fished the run it also degraded to about 2 feet.
By the time I left there was 4 float fishers pounding that run (two on each side of the river) with two more in the fast water below it.
No bites for me. None for anyone that I saw or talked with.