Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, March 15th 2009  (Read 741 times)

Knife

Chilliwack River, March 15th 2009
« on: March 18, 2009, 11:15:06 PM »

Eight times out and no sign of intrest from any steelhead rumored to be in the river. Last time I arrived at the crossing only to realize I had left my rod and reel at home in the underground parking area. Amazed that it was still there when I got back. This time I started up river with all my equipment. Noticed a run not far of the road and not any one there. To good to be true 10 min. later two guys walk in below me and pretend I am invisible. Decided to go below the crossing, but after 45 min. visability went from 2' to 6". Off I go down river again trying to get ahead of the clay. Get down by railroad bridge area and put on a piece of roe a friend gave me to try. First cast the float dissapears and pops back up with out the roe. Me standing there to supprised to do anything. Next cast falls short and drifts 4' from where the float had gone down so you know visability is not great. Next cast lands in same spot as the first, drifts a feet and dissapears again. This time I am awake and after a great fight release a 10# hatchery doe. Stayed in the area for another 1 1/2 hrs. and left by 7 p.m. as the water got dirty grey look again.

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, March 15th 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 11:59:29 AM »

Good to hear someone got lucky after a long dry spell.
I am at 8:0 myself and hoping to get rid of the skunk sooner rather than later.

I am not sure I would have spared the fish like you did.
Last time I spared a chrome hatchery steelhead its life, it took me three years to land another hatchery fish.   :o
I hope it doesn't happen to you. Or maybe it doesn't matter because you don't eat fish.

Either way - good job and thanks for the encouraging report. :)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, March 15th 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 06:15:17 PM »

It was your day all the way.
First come back for the rod that was still there after you forgot it, then catch a fish.
Good on you!