Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: very dissapointed at the chehalis nov.12  (Read 2016 times)

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
very dissapointed at the chehalis nov.12
« on: November 12, 2005, 06:42:40 PM »

alot of good report on the chehalis but no coho to be seen, water leves are brutal all i can say is chum chum chum. oh by the way hey rodney were you fishing the chehalis today  ???
My hands smell like fish again.............

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: very dissapointed at the chehalis nov.12
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 07:18:08 PM »

I was there too....but from what I saw , quite a few people were finding the coho.  Fished from the hatchery down, then went up for a quick hike in the canyon to see what it was doing.  The coho are there, you just have to know that when the bruisers are in there with them they're gonna hide!  That said, I saw lots,hooked a few, but caught none :D

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 07:41:16 PM »

RoeMan went today ....for 2 hours got one coho and plently of chum.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 02:40:42 PM »

Went out today, started at the hatchery, lots of people, accidently snagged a few chums, so went for a walk downstream. Walked for a while, met a few other anglers who had seen a few coho, kept walking, got to a large log jam, started seeing VERY recent signs of bears, it rained, and the tracks were very distinct, quite fresh, found a bunch of chewed up salmon carcasses (also fresh), didn't really feel like going much further, 18 year old kid wandering through the forest, smelling of roe and fish, coulda been fun  ::) ;D

Didn't really even wet a line in my travels, came back up stream back towards the hatchery but on the other side of the river, fished for a while on my own landed one chum fair hooked. Continued back towards the hatchery, pretty much everyonew was on the hatchery side of the run, so pretty much had the bank all to myself, dad crossed the river to join me and the two of us fished on one side, and had about 12 guys fihsing opposite us. Landed MANY chums, no coho for us, saw one coho landed, and heard of a another one landed, but that's about it from what I saw and heard.

Fished roe for a while, then got tired of re-baiting, so put on some wool, trimmed to look like roe, and caught a lot more fish (even thought they were chums), and didn't snag as many.

Still a lot of guys dragging fish all over the rocks and booting them into the river again after leaving them out for a while. Just a note guys, you odn't have to bring the fish entirely out of the water to unhook it, just get it into shallow water, and "rush the fish," unhook it and you can often mogve the fish back into the mainstream without even removing it from the water, or by touching anything more than it's tail. Give it a try.  :)
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 04:07:26 PM »

Ya spud i saw alot of that too....Im more prone to just breaking them off if they are gonna take alot of effort (on the fishes part) to bring in and unhook.   A few guys were actually kicking the fish back into the river.  How about a little respect for the resource we are all exploiting? 

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 05:14:03 PM »

I tried from bridge all the way past hatchery. No coho for me. Good excersice though. :P