Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder, September 21st  (Read 4775 times)

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Vedder, September 21st
« on: September 21, 2005, 10:37:06 PM »

Didn't get out of the house till around 11 today. Yes I know, targetting coho, it is not the best time to start fishing. First light or evening being ideal. I was very spectacle on how today could be, clear and sunny with the water low and clear, didn't know what my chances would be like. ;D

Got to the area I planned to fish, not a soul around and no fish either. Started off with boraxed pink roe and first cast was into some light taps as my float bounced a couple times. Was using a new reel today, first time out with a centerpin, borrowing Rodney's Islander for the season........too bad I'm hooked using it now. ;)

An hour went by with no solid hookups, only saw a big spring jump but kept confident. Moved upriver and found another virgin run. Within 5 casts I was into a big Chinook. As much as I hate them it gave me a good fight and broke in the pin. Was released after pic. (Pic below)

Tried a little while more and hooked up with a very chrome small coho or jack spring, came off.

Decided to rig up the fly rod and gave 'er for about 45 minutes, finally hooked up a jack spring and fight was on. Put up a good scrap and was brought to hand.

Went back to the centerpin and tried a colorado blade, nothing then went back to using roe. I'm glad I did. :D
Float bounced twice on a drift, I lifted my rod tip and fish on, this take felt very different then any other in the day. Soon the fish is circling around and kicking at the surface. 5 Minute battle and my first Coho of the season is brought to hand. A hatchery female of about 5lbs. ;D ;D ;D

Fished a little bit more and hooked a couple more coho as well as landed 2 more jack springs which I released. Great day on the water.  8)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Vedder, September 21st
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 10:41:33 PM »

Very very impressive Trout.  Now you are gettin me all pumped up for sunday.  In fact I am curing some pink roe as I type this out.  Very nice pics as well.  Thank you for the report. :D :D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 10:41:35 PM »

We shouldnt expect the same runs to be "virgin" on saturday unless we do get up early.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 10:43:28 PM »

Beat us by a day... :( :D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 10:45:55 PM »

nice fish. good to hear you were successful, especially considering how late you started.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 10:48:40 PM »

Well i always get up at 3am on the weekends.  Just in case there are suddenly a ton of people on the run, I like to get my spot.  Besides, I love sittin beside the river in the pitch black just listing to river.  Gets me in tune with it for that day.  YA YA I know that sounds weird, but really.  It is so peaceful!!!! ;) ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 11:11:28 PM »

Well i always get up at 3am on the weekends.  Just in case there are suddenly a ton of people on the run, I like to get my spot.  Besides, I love sittin beside the river in the pitch black just listing to river.  Gets me in tune with it for that day.  YA YA I know that sounds weird, but really.  It is so peaceful!!!! ;) ;)

Yah i agree. i've done that a few times on my local river. Rarely see anyone there. Its sweet, hearing fish before youy can see them.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 11:16:21 PM »

You wake up at 3:00 AM ? That's the time I crawl into the sack. :)

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 11:20:06 PM »

depends what time of the year for me. Friday nights im normally not in bed till 4. but sunday morning is my "wake up early" day. lol. steely season its as early as possible.

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 11:25:37 PM »

Slightly off topic, but are centerpins a little more durable than the average reel? A couple picks show it sitting in the sand. I thought that would be bad for it. I know they don't have gears but wouldn't it get all gummed up with dirt? Nice picks anyhow sounds like a good day was had.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 11:44:40 PM »

I don't recommend putting the reels in either on the beach or in the water but that's me.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 11:46:19 PM »

I don't recommend putting the reels in either on the beach or in the water but that's me.

ditto.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 12:59:19 AM »

Those fish had to be landed near keith wilson dont see too much sand bars liek that on the vedder but there.
[

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 01:09:51 AM »

Those fish had to be landed near keith wilson dont see too much sand bars liek that on the vedder but there.
Try 10km upriver. Like I said, virgin water, which is untouched.

I agree about the reels and sand, I try to avoid it but fishing alone I just set it there carefully for a pic.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 01:14:38 AM by Trout Slayer »

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 01:46:06 AM »

THX now i shall look at my trusty map and fish that water lol.
[