Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Chilliwack River Boxing Day Steelhead Derby  (Read 13242 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
2013 Chilliwack River Boxing Day Steelhead Derby
« on: December 16, 2013, 09:26:11 PM »

Is there one this year ? In past years there's always a thread about the steelhead derby. Nothing this year. Just wondering.

norton

Re: 2013 Chilliwack River Boxing Day Steelhead Derby
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:42:44 PM »

Yes there is a Boxing Day derby this year. You attending f.a.?

Magz

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »

Oh ya its on!!!!!!!! 8)

norton

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:03:40 PM »

Yea Magz! I sure hope there's more fish in the river on Boxing Day, than there is now. There hasn't  been a steelhead weighed in yet at Fred's tackle in the Wally h. Derby. You going in the derby Magz?

Magz

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 10:08:29 PM »

Im trying to get a couple guys together as we speak.took my brother out years ago in the boxing day derby.he was down from yellow knife.we got 7 fish. He got 5 of them. Cldnt believe it. Ive bn skunked ever since on derby day :-\

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 10:22:54 PM »

A lot of Derbies have been cancelled in recent yrs, Im wondering if this one has run its course. I just don't see the point of a derby in todays world. Just puts more pressure on the resource,for what? Bragging rights?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 10:34:52 PM »

A lot of Derbies have been cancelled in recent yrs, Im wondering if this one has run its course. I just don't see the point of a derby in todays world. Just puts more pressure on the resource,for what? Bragging rights?

x2

sbc hris

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 10:54:24 PM »

I will be there. And no not for bragging rights.
Pressure on the resource? What the hatchery clones? I would be concerned if it was a river with mostly wild stock and not the Vedder. That river could be fished into extinction and brought back by the hatchery. I highly doubt there's any truly wild fish left in there. If it was a derby on the Thompson, that would be different.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 11:01:11 PM »

The Chilliwack River Boxing Day Derby will be on once again of course. I'm just waiting for the Fish and Games Club to email me the details before posting.

Magz

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 02:55:07 AM »

Whos talking about bragging rites anyway. Its the vedder gimme a break.theres no more than a hand full off fish weighed in and about as many guys go in it. I thought it was for fun and some good times with friends and sometimes family thats in town .no more no less.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:20:37 AM by Magz »

Ian Forbes

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 05:37:34 AM »

In todays combat world of Vedder fishing I think "Boxing day" is a good name.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 01:40:22 PM »

Just because no one brings a fish to freds dosn't mean there arent fish in the system. Us locals want to keep a slow start becuase of over crowding. always jan/feb/mar to weigh in
Tight lines to all

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 02:16:16 PM »

Whos talking about bragging rites anyway. Its the vedder gimme a break.theres no more than a hand full off fish weighed in and about as many guys go in it. I thought it was for fun and some good times with friends and sometimes family thats in town .no more no less.

While I agree that a steelhead derby on a hatchery-enhanced river such as the Vedder is probably not a big deal from a conservationist point of view, it is the derby mentality that bugs me. In a derby, it's all about the numbers, about competition, and with that come certain attitudes that I don't really appreciate. Take a look at one of those American fishing channels and you'll get the idea. I shudder to think what would happen if we had a steelhead fishing circuit taking place in BC. :-\

But different strokes for different folks. If you really need a derby to go out and have fun with friends and family, go for it, by all means.

sbc hris

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 05:09:37 PM »

Derby is almost the wrong word for this event. It is more of a steelhead gathering, and just neat to see some early season chrome and camraderie. Last year I popped one off after a short battle, and asked the next guy that came by if he wanted a shot at it after I told him what had happened. I'm not very competitive about it, and I feel that most folks on the river dont have the "bassmasters" mentality. Comparing Steelheaders to bass anglers isn't much of a comparison.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 05:27:01 PM »

I feel that most folks on the river dont have the "bassmasters" mentality. Comparing Steelheaders to bass anglers isn't much of a comparison.

Yah, bassmasters have faster boats.  ;D