Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spring Fishing on the North Thompson  (Read 2261 times)

Birkenhead

Spring Fishing on the North Thompson
« on: January 01, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »

At the end of April I will be in the Barriere to Little Fort area via the Yellowhead Highway for about a week. 

Looks like area 3-28 between Barriere and Little Fort is exempt from spring closure but wondering what the trout fishing is like on that northern stretch of the Thompson that time of year and if is worth the time?

I have fished the Thompson around Kamloops and south so I am familiar with what gear and tackle would probably work best.

Anyone have any firsthand experience they would like to share? Just looking for general advise so you do not need to give out any details of your fav fishing spots.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Spring Fishing on the North Thompson
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 12:15:31 PM »

That river is pretty silty for most of the year and late April may be too late to avoid that.

There is some info here: http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=50977&hl=North%20Thompson&st=20

Some lower elevation lakes such as Dutch Lake right by Clearwater may be fishable by then, particularity some of the larger ones.

You can also call the tackle shop in Little Fort to see if they have any suggestions.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Birkenhead

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 03:00:09 PM »

Thanks Ralph.

I agree that late April may be too late but I guess it depends on how long the cold weather holds out into that time frame before the river starts rising with melt off. I'll give the tackle shop in Little Fort a call about 7-10 days before I leave.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 06:35:22 PM »

I have driven along the North Thompson many times, and always thought what a great river it would be to fish, but April might be iffy.  Water clarity was always best in the fall with October having near clear water.  The area around Barriere is well fished at all times, especially winter months, but the upper river near Blue River and Valemount is (was) virtually barren of anglers.  Driving the highway shows much fishable water that screams of bull trout and most likely rainbows. The problem of course is access to the river – not much if any in the upper reaches.  This would be a jet boat dream fishery I think; a wilderness setting with wildlife encounters and the potential for incredible angling.