Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gear questions.  (Read 3371 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Gear questions.
« on: December 24, 2016, 06:54:02 PM »

At the end of the day my baitcaster started acting up, the piece that guides the line back and fourth began to catch and stick once it has tracked to one side of the reel. Anyone know why? 

Also my sage rod tip insert popped out, is there an easy fix to this or does it need to be replaced. It's a factory sage, does it need to be sent in to sage or can any shop fix it?

Thanks
The Bigger The Better!

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Gear questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 07:20:14 PM »

Change the worm gear. They cost like 15 bucks and are very easy to change on your own. You could try cleaning out the worm gear or tightening the little screw on the part that tracks across the worm gear. Sometimes the little piece that tracks through the worm gear (the line guide) will loosen off. Should just need a flat head screw driver and see if you can turn that screw at all.

Not sure on the rod insert... I've used super glue effectively for almost all things fishing. Sage has awesome warranty though if you'd rather get it fixed properly. Do you actually even need the insert for the rod to function?

Twitchy

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 07:55:07 PM »

Get the tip fixed, it's a cheap an easy job at any local shop. I have had a missing tip insert cut through 20lb mono like butter on a big fish under tension.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 08:34:39 PM »

I've been fishing without an insert on my 3113lb tip for quite some time. Keep meaning to hand it in for repair but I just love fishing it to much. I'll probably fix it in the spring.

Twitchy has a point though check for any roughness if you plan on leaving it for a little while as a bur on there could end your meeting with a hog sooner then later.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 09:56:33 PM »

I would just change the pawl on the reel.
Its the piece that moves back and forth with screw behind it .
It may be the worm gear but I would hazard a guess and hope its just the pawl.
Most shops can replace a tip for you while you wait if they aren't busy.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 10:54:24 PM »

I would just change the pawl on the reel.
Its the piece that moves back and forth with screw behind it .
It may be the worm gear but I would hazard a guess and hope its just the pawl.
Most shops can replace a tip for you while you wait if they aren't busy.
I would change both the pawl and worm gear. The pawl probably scorned the worm gear already.

Cheap fix!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

wallygator24

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 06:34:33 AM »

Sage is really good about standing behind their products.   They will take care of you.  However, it is all about turn around time which can be a week to more than three weeks.  The top guide fix is quite an easy fix.  I had that happen to a rod of mine.  I took it to Fred's and he was happy to help, and I was fishing that same day. 

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 10:05:28 AM »

I have had the same problems BF.   The reel is still broken, just went and got a new one. for the tip top I went into Fred's and asked them to swap it out.  a lighter, hot glue stick and the appropriate replacement with a few dollars and I was back out there. These fancy gold inserts sure look good but they are not gonna be on any of my future rods..
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 05:30:49 PM »

I would change both the pawl and worm gear. The pawl probably scorned the worm gear already.

Cheap fix!
I would change a pawl myself but would take it in to have the wormgear replaced.
Might be a good time to have it serviced completely by someone like Mikes reel repair in Abbotsford.
I think that's where they are.?