Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sight Fishing with a Drone  (Read 11691 times)

James

Sight Fishing with a Drone
« on: December 09, 2016, 01:30:24 PM »

What do you think of using a drone to sight fish a river or other body of water ?

I have noticed many more people are using drones to capture images and video of fish in the water.  With the cost of operating a drone camera drastically less than a few years ago , many people have them.

Will there be any new rules or laws created to stop this action ?

Or have I missed something and this is already considered the "norm" and now we are letting some drone users get away with this action.

I don't believe ALL drone users are flying over runs & pools specifically sight fishing with them, but you have to believe some will.

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: Sight Fishing with a Drone
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 02:12:35 PM »

just another fish finder.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 02:17:11 PM »

I haven't heard of anything regarding fishing but I can't see it being different than climbing a tree to look into the pool. I never did but I'm sure it's possible. Good point about using it for a searching tool.

I expect we'll soon learn of laws that restrict the use of drones for herding wildlife through a narrow passages where hunters take advantage of an opportunity.

Ban the drones.

Tylsie

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 02:57:34 PM »

It is already illegal to use a drone while Hunting, fishing is a different story.

I can tell you where the fish are, but getting them to bite is a completely different. To me I don't see it becoming a real concern. I don't imagine too many anglers are going to want to pack a drone plus all their fishing gear to fish a hole then pack up and go to the next one. I guess some guides may use it before taking their clients out but fish move so how long is the information good for.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 05:28:11 PM »

I can see it now - some guy sitting on his lawn chair under Kieth Wilson bridge flying a drone and watching his iPhone. Once he sees a school coming up - down comes the drone and up comes the rod to flog the water through the school.

Maybe someone will start pushing/scaring bunched up fish in pools towards fishermen. Probably not though - too much hassle.

I wonder if CO's would use drones for river surveillance?

I think a lot more good will come from drones like the Search and Rescue on the news today.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 06:31:56 PM »

I can't believe someone would have a problem with this? Who cares? So you know there are some fish there - that in no way means you are going to catch them. If people were using them to sight fish and then chuck a stick of dynamite in the water, or proceed to throw weighted treble hooks at them, then yes - that is a problem.

I have a buddy who flies a drone regularly. He has tried using it fishing. It spooks fish (imagine that - as a bird is probably one of the biggest predators on fish and that would be imprinted even on adults). I'm not sure how effective it could possibly be then, knowing that it spooks most fish depending on the height you fly it at. You'd have to sight them, then let the run rest, and then still not know you're going to catch them. I'd rather not see them there, as that is more annoying sometimes.

Just to give you an idea of how ridiculous this sounds, consider what Reiber said. Would you also like to ban having a friend stand on a high point or in a tree to point you to where fish are on clear rivers? Completely ban fishing on clear rivers because being able to see them is unfair? Another fabricated "problem" to whine about.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 07:47:55 PM »

I can't believe people were using them to sight fish and then chuck a stick of dynamite in the water, or proceed to throw weighted treble hooks at them, then yes - that is a problem.

I have a buddy Another fabricated "problem" to whine about.

Hey - stop giving out ideas. Some ding-dong is going to try this.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 07:59:11 PM »

It scares fish in rivers, we have filmed with it and it does in fact scatter them if you get close at all.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

James

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 08:32:21 PM »

Thanks people !

I guess I have been the only person so far that has witnessed people using drones for an advantage.

Consistently witnessed two people fish 3 different runs top to bottom with a drone operator telling the angler where to cast and when to slow down the retrieve of the lure.
When the fish was spooked by the angler ( not drone) the two people communicated this and moved on.
Next run of River.... Same actions except when it was seen from above that there was no fish in the run the angler moved on again.
I have seen drones scare the fish as well, however the operator can just zoom in at a higher elevation.

I guess I just wanted to see if others are witnessing this.

If you have a problem with the topic, you don't need read it or respond. Calling names is not needed

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 08:37:27 PM »

This topic came up last night in our livestream show on YouTube actually (was it one of you who brought it up?) after I had a couple of drone shots in the coho video we just put up. Someone asked if we were spotting fish with it to catch them. The answer is no, the fish were already everywhere, I just wanted to get a shot of them from the air for my video. Personally I think it's too much work if this is the goal. Drone batteries last for 25 minutes at max, you'd need to spend a lot of effort communicating between the angler and the drone operator, too little focus on the actual fishing. Plus, as others have brought it up, the drone scares fish like an eagle from above.

What is interesting though is to watch the behaviour of fish from above. I sped up the aerial clip of these coho. Can't really say anything conclusive from it, but it sure is cool to see the school of fish moving about that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL27rGjo8e4

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 08:46:09 PM »

It sure would have been interesting to see a bird's eye view of the the bottom bouncing days on the Fraser.

It's possible the guys you saw were simply using their new technology just wanting to get footage of themselves catching fish.

The more I think about this, the more I think people are just having fun with a new toy. It would probably be a lot of wasted time and effort if it were used to spot and catch fish. Heck, if you have a fiend with a drone that wants to try it for spot and stalk fish then so what?

I would certainly voice an opinion to the drone operator it was buzzing around me while I was fishing.

James

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 09:28:36 PM »

I have not watched the video Rod .

Just thought it to be an interesting sight to see on the river.

I don't think they were just out to take selfies with a fish lol.

It was the coaching of the angler from the drone operator that concerned me is all. 

It is a slippery slope and the targeted species is already fighting a loosing battle.

Giving the angler a away to scout large stretches of River without having to actually walk it. That too me is nothing like having a buddy spot from a stationary tree or cliff.

Just sayin' .

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 11:26:27 AM »

I would certainly voice an opinion to the drone operator it was buzzing around me while I was fishing.

x2

Any drone that gets within hitting distance of my rod would be quickly dispatched, even if I break my rod tip doing so. You've been forewarned. Last thing we need on the river while fishing...the buzzing. >:(

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 11:55:17 AM »

Yup.  I certainly wouldn't AVOID casting in the vicinity of a drone.  If you catch my drift.

Treble hook wrapped with pencil lead on braided line should do the trick.  I will just have to remember to put a piece of wool on it.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 01:08:37 PM »

-- Its all fun until there's a 100 of them.