Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 148283 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Out today for a few casts after a duck hunt but no action saw one small fish being carried, great conditions it must be over now Rod. ;D ;D ;D

Drewhill

Was there today and conditions were great. Water was high but clear. What shocked me was usually there's a lot more dead or almost dead chum kicking around and I didn't see many. Also most spots were empty of people except for Tamahi which easily had about 30 cars  ::)

Dave

• Old Timer

Was there today and conditions were great. Water was high but clear. What shocked me was usually there's a lot more dead or almost dead chum kicking around and I didn't see many. Also most spots were empty of people except for Tamahi which easily had about 30 cars  ::)
I agree with the lack of chum and chinook carcasses; most likely another bad year for eagles and gulls that depend on this river at this time.

salmonrook

What shocked me was usually there's a lot more dead or almost dead chum kicking around and I didn't see many.
Washed downriver with the late high water ?

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict

Washed downriver with the late high water ?

That would be my guess.

Dave

• Old Timer

The off channel areas in the lower river have far fewer chums to date than past years; these channels are not impacted by high water events in the main river, and that's exactly why they were built.

Tenz85

Few weeks back saw some people with pitch fork like sticks taking the carcasses out of the water and placing them on the shores.  Definitely speeds up the decaying process and likely helps the vegetation. I believe they were volunteers or hired by some environmental agency.

Dave

• Old Timer

Few weeks back saw some people with pitch fork like sticks taking the carcasses out of the water and placing them on the shores.  Definitely speeds up the decaying process and likely helps the vegetation. I believe they were volunteers or hired by some environmental agency.
If you saw these people on the Vedder they were a DFO enumeration crew.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Out today for a few casts after a duck hunt but no action saw one small fish being carried, great conditions it must be over now Rod. ;D ;D ;D

Possibly! ;D Another one didn't get the memo this morning. ;D

Water level is dropping a bit faster now due to the cold weather, but it's still a bit high. By the end of this week there should be more fishable runs.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Possibly! ;D Another one didn't get the memo this morning. ;D

Water level is dropping a bit faster now due to the cold weather, but it's still a bit high. By the end of this week there should be more fishable runs.
Time to try and catch them float fishing.  ;D :D I was out out for a bit before I went to the Remembrance service but the float stayed dry once again. The howling wind did not help matters. Was great to see a large attendance at the cenotaph as Canadians remember.

islanddude

Chris.
  The duck hunting should be good with the cold weather. Time to walk the creeks and jump a few northeners.
 Got any good corn fields?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Chris.
  The duck hunting should be good with the cold weather. Time to walk the creeks and jump a few northeners.
 Got any good corn fields?
To windy right now to hunt and too fish too. Its a hurricane out there now.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Fished for 45  minutes out of the wind this morning but it was steelhead cold with guides icing up. Managed a fresh run chum.

Silex-user

Fished for 45  minutes out of the wind this morning but it was steelhead cold with guides icing up. Managed a fresh run chum.

Great!!! Chris mention steelhead.....cold time for for me to come out to play at Chill-Vedder. LOL

Silex-user

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Water is still dropping nicely as expected and quite clear now. There are still a few fresh fish around, like this one from this morning.