Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Companies supporting the battle against COVID-19  (Read 2903 times)

ShaunO

Companies supporting the battle against COVID-19
« on: April 07, 2020, 09:12:15 AM »

I would like to take a second to point out that Simms has pivoted part of its production line to make medical gowns in their Bozeman MT. factory.  I think it's important to acknowledge this effort, and the efforts of every business and individual that is stepping forward and doing their part to help!  If you know of other companies that have adapted their normal business operations to support the fight against COVID-19, we should give them the recognition they deserve.  In Chilliwack & Abbotsford, I recognize Old Yale Brewing and New Wave Distilling have been collaborating on producing and distributing hand sanitizer.  When the dust settles, I know I will be going out of my way to support those who stepped forward to help in this unprecedented effort.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Companies supporting the battle against COVID-19
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 11:39:49 AM »

My organization has purchased hand sanitizer from Stillhead Distillery https://stillhead.ca/

They don't have specific hand sanitizer packaging (yet), so it was quite a hit at the office when it showed up in their regular packaging and containers. :)   

ShaunO

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 02:32:22 PM »

https://theprovince.com/news/local-news/covid-19-coquitlam-company-retools-will-be-first-in-canada-to-produce-n95-respirators/wcm/a4052fe2-ffb4-40fb-8c7a-e2cb869d035c

COVID-19: Coquitlam company retools, will be first in Canada to produce N95 respirators

I believe they're called Novo Textiles and I am incredibly proud of the effort they are making to support our front line medical workers!

4x4

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 07:05:55 PM »

I believe they're called Novo Textiles and I am incredibly proud of the effort they are making to support our front line medical workers!

That makes at least two of us.
Trudeau asked Canadian companies to step up and help in anyway they can and they did to the tune of almost 5000 companies. That is incredible.

People have  to realize that we are a country of 37 million. That kind of response to help our medical workers and first responders is remarkable  but not surprising to me at all.  Canada rocks.

Now we need the stupid people to start following the rules to help the people that are helping us.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 09:16:00 AM by 4x4 »

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 08:15:05 PM »

No thanks to Canadian Tire, who are selling medical-grade protective equipment at outrageous prices while hospitals worry about running short on this stuff. It's appalling that they are price gouging, and very telling that they are refusing media interview requests. They know they're in the wrong and I'll think twice before stepping back into one of their stores.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/critics-call-out-canadian-tire-over-stacks-of-pricey-masks-while-hospitals-call-for-donations-1.4883665

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/critical-that-medical-grade-masks-be-reserved-for-health-care-workers-nurses-union-1.4886811

ShaunO

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 09:16:47 AM »

On the surface I agree, and it truly pisses me off that this would happen.  I do believe that each Canadian Tire store is operated by a franchisee, though they need to conform to corporate rules.  That said, the issue seems isolated to one store and one owner... who likely stands to have his franchise stripped from him.  Damage done though.  Can't un-ring a bell.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 01:06:48 PM »

On the surface I agree, and it truly pisses me off that this would happen.  I do believe that each Canadian Tire store is operated by a franchisee, though they need to conform to corporate rules.  That said, the issue seems isolated to one store and one owner... who likely stands to have his franchise stripped from him.  Damage done though.  Can't un-ring a bell.

If that's the case, it must be a major headache for corporate when franchisees go rogue. The original article mentioned the location on Cambie, and the followup article saw a reporter find the same gear at the same prices at the Grandview location as well. Maybe just skip those stores in particular once things get back to normal  ::)

ShaunO

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 02:20:45 PM »

If that's the case, it must be a major headache for corporate when franchisees go rogue. The original article mentioned the location on Cambie, and the followup article saw a reporter find the same gear at the same prices at the Grandview location as well. Maybe just skip those stores in particular once things get back to normal  ::)

You nailed it.  I'm gonna gather some more facts before I pass judgement on either a (couple of) stupid franchise operator(s), or a complete chain of morons.  Time will tell!

On a seperate note, Arcteryx has also switched some of their production line to produce medical gowns.  The responses from nurses and doctors have been very positive, with several saying they want to take them home they're so nice!

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 12:26:17 PM »

Add the Canadian Tire location near Schoolhouse in Coquitlam to the naughty list. Image from Facebook this afternoon, though dated April 5. Hopefully they've adjusted their behaviour since then.

The Cambie and Grandview locations were both publicly shamed into donating all of their outrageously overpriced mask/PPE stock to local health organizations:
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/canadian-tire-donates-160k-masks-to-local-health-care-workers-after-criticism-about-in-store-sales-1.4890011

Walleye76

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 05:07:14 PM »

Yes each location is independently owned franchise. They do still have to operate within guide lines put out by corporate Head office.

ShaunO

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »

It seems that Canadian Tire has stopped selling N95 masks and has now setup a 5 million dollar fund for COVID-19 relief.  Might be too little too late, but time will tell.