Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 8'6 or 9' fly rod  (Read 11738 times)

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
8'6 or 9' fly rod
« on: February 05, 2011, 06:50:17 PM »

Can someone here explain the differences in fly rod length, especially in the 8'6 and 9'. I'm thinking about getting a 5 weight fly rod and I have a choice between 8'6 and 9'. Is there really a difference in performance and castability?

Blackgivesway2blue

Re: 8'6 or 9' fly rod
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »

the longer the rod, the higher the tip is from the ground during the cast, the higher the tip is from the ground, the longer the cast will be.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:51:01 PM »

like said above the longer rod gives u a further cast, but if u are fishing small rivers with no room or very little for back casts then the 8"6 is better as you dont need to bring the tip up so high. For lakes or rivers with room to back cast then defintly the 9". I have 2 six wts both 9 feet and a 8wt 9ft and a 9wt 10 ft and that thing really gets the line out. and a 3wt 7 ft and its great for small rivers, not bragging there just showing the preference of a longer rod.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 11:11:10 AM »

If you really want a great lake rod you should also consider getting 10foot 5wt. the longer rods are awesome for casting indicators because you can throw open loops easier and still carry distance if you need to. longer rods also make fish feel bigger  ;)

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 02:45:30 PM »

If you really want a great lake rod you should also consider getting 10foot 5wt. the longer rods are awesome for casting indicators because you can throw open loops easier and still carry distance if you need to. longer rods also make fish feel bigger  ;)
Totally agree Hook.  I know some who are using 11' ers and love em.

JRTMACD

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »

the longer the rod the better, if you get into float tubes and wading a 9 foot rod will cast farther. I have a 10 foot 5 weight that just bombs the line out when i need it to and is still responsive enough for delicate presentations to even the fussiest of trout.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 11:29:40 AM »

What kind of water will you be fishing mostly?

fishgutz63

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 10:28:15 AM »

just got a 10ft 5wt rod for my birthday last week been out with it casting  all i can say is wow ;D  looking foward to the up coming seasons : ;D

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 05:49:28 PM »

Lee Wulff one of the greatest casters ever proved that length is not much of an issue for a good caster. Lee was a fan of 5 foot rods, (they don't even make them today) and taught that good casting is all about applying and understanding the laws of physics. The length of the rod does not make as much difference as the the load action/speed. You are only talking six inches difference in the length of the rods, either will do a good job for you provided the rods load the line properly.

It is more about form than the rod. Lee Wulff's wife Joan and Lefty Krey prove this with their sixty foot hand casts.

What I teach my students is this. It is going to be your rod. "YOURS!" Pick the one that feels right in your hand. If you pick the right one you can expect (with proper care and maintenance) 40 years (yes that long) of use out of a good rod. Buy the wrong one and you will want to be rid of it in 6 months. Don't let other push their likes and dislikes on you; it will be your rod and yours alone. So any rod you buy needs to fit your expectations.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"