Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 5 wt setup question  (Read 8641 times)

fish_on

5 wt setup question
« on: February 21, 2009, 08:32:22 PM »

Hey,
Just bought a 5wt fly rod and looking at matching it with a very light inexpensive fly reel with good drag system...I would appreciate your suggestions on the right reel to look for and what to avoid.

cheers,
Thanks.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
Re: 5 wt setup question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »

Lamson Guru, or the Knoic, about 120-160 ish... great drag, smooth.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 02:01:27 PM »

I would have a look at the G-Loomis Venture. They run around $100, GREAT DRAG, nice looking, and lasts forever.

The Dragonfly, Kamloops is also a great reel, and runs around $120. Try to stay away from the Dragonfly Chilcoten as it is very easily bent.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

fish_on

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 04:01:31 PM »

The G Loomis Venture specs kinda appeals to me plus it's only 4.8oz. Thanks Rp3FF, I will check it out for sure and alsol look into the Lammson Guru and Knoic suggested by SK.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

SNapz

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 10:48:37 PM »

I like the Lamson Konic. Bought a couple of them last year and the drag seems very good on them. Would highly recommend it. They should only be in the $130 range.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:56:16 AM »

I have a sage 3100, I think I've said it before in here but I would recommend against it only because the drag is very weak.  I've broken two already.

Lamson are great reels, I have an 8wt velocity and I'm very happy with it. 

Ross reels also make good , dependable reels for not too much $.  I know a few guys who swear by them.

quincy

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 09:55:39 AM »

when you say you have broken the drag, i understood the 3000 series to be a click and pawl style with little if any drag at all, what component broke on your reel? thanx i just bought a 3200 and i havent used it yet but it seems good to me.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:57:15 AM by quincy »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 12:16:12 PM »

when you say you have broken the drag, i understood the 3000 series to be a click and pawl style with little if any drag at all, what component broke on your reel? thanx i just bought a 3200 and i havent used it yet but it seems good to me.

Hey Quincy,  yes it's click and pawl and it has just enough drag not to freewheel when you're stripping line off the reel.  Sorry I should have worded that a little better, it is misleading.  The long finger on the clicker has broken twice on me, I think that the material they use for it is just too brittle.  I expect that when I spend good $ on a reel that the components hold up a little better.  The first time it happened was only after about a month of owning the reel.  It comes with a replacement, and that one lasted a little a little longer but now it too has a crack in the base of the long finger.  My guess is the plastic is just too cheap.  I hope you have better luck with your 3200.  Other than the drag breaking it is a fairly nice reel although I still prefer the feel of my lamson.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 12:55:09 PM »

I would have a look at the G-Loomis Venture. They run around $100, GREAT DRAG, nice looking, and lasts forever.

The Dragonfly, Kamloops is also a great reel, and runs around $120. Try to stay away from the Dragonfly Chilcoten as it is very easily bent.

Rick

Those G Loomis Venture reels must have come down in price.....I thought there were more.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 10:02:03 PM »

They have come down in the last year or so. I bought my first one 5 years ago and it was closer to $200. The last time I looked they were around $100-$110

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 08:47:28 AM »

what about this temple fork outfitters....  the rods look and feel real nice for the price...  there reels are a smaller arbour but the backing helps right?
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 11:12:50 AM »

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=40C7&dir_id=758&group_id=768&cat_id=7627&subcat_id=7643

Orvis Battenkill Bar stock reel, super smooth, supreme drag, light and stong! In my opinion, its one of the best reels for your buck.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 11:39:40 AM »

They have come down in the last year or so. I bought my first one 5 years ago and it was closer to $200. The last time I looked they were around $100-$110

Rick

Its true. I picked one up last year from RFT for just over $100.
Actions speak louder than words.

skibumAB

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 10:28:36 PM »

The lamson konic is a great buy, the drag system and 1 way bearing are the same parts used in lamson's top of the line reels.  I use a couple lamson 3.5 reels for salmon fishing and have had no problems, so its nice too know that a konic 5 wt reel has the guts to handle a 30 pounder ( well, if you had the backing capacity)

mci

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 08:45:55 AM »

How about the Loop Evotech CLW reels. Great drag, nice and light weight. Around $150. I have 2 and love them