Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007/2008 winter Danish journal  (Read 17778 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2007/2008 winter Danish journal
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 03:49:44 PM »

Happy New Year everyone! Today I had the pleasure to fish with a few fine gentlemen from the Federation of Fly Fishers Denmark. The FFFD is an governing body that is close to 1,000 members strong. Not only does it assist those who wish to become better flyfishers, it spends considerable amount of time, effort and money on rebuilding stream habitat.

Henrik gave me a buzz on the phone a few days ago and suggested a trip to the Swedish Coast on New Year Day. Knowing that I would be incredibly tired from the celebration on the night before, I reluctantly agreed. The Swedish Coast is always closed for fishing from late fall until December 31st, so tackling it on opening day is always a good bet since the fish are not hook-shy.

As expected, the sky over Copenhagen lit up just after midnight with fireworks. In no other cities have I seen people who are so obsessed with fireworks. It baffles me that most people here are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a few rockets that take less than a minute to blow up. I, on the other hand, enjoy watching all the explosions without spending a dime. Check out the view from our apartment at 12:30am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRYwvzW2PzI

With all the commotion outside, I could not fall asleep until 4:00am. At 7:45am, Henrik was ready to pick me up downstairs. Still recovering from a minor flu since Christmas, as well as lacking some serious sleep hours, fishing was certainly not on my mind for once. Nevertheless, I convinced myself to tag along because an opportunity to fish in Sweden does not come by often.

We met up with Lars, Svend and Jerk (pronounced York, or Yurk, so I have been told) at the usual meeting spot. Five of us squeezed into Lars’ wagon and over the bridge we went. The drive was actually less than one hour long. The Southern Coast of Sweden is just on the other side of the Baltic Sea. We picked a spot that has the high hills behind the beach to block the gusty Northerly wind. Getting ready on top of the windy hill was not fun. Still recovering from the wild parties, everyone sluggishly suited up.

By the time we made it down to the hill, I was feeling worse than when we left Copenhagen. I made a few casts once awhile, spent most of the time sitting and visualizing the warm bed. The section that Henrik, Lars and I picked to fish was rather dirty. Seaweed covered the shoreline and water was fairly coloured. After two hours, Jerk phoned from the other end of the beach and reported connection with one fish. The news of a catch always lifts the spirit. We packed up quickly and headed toward where Jerk, or the fish, was.

Miraculously, I seemed to have fully recovered by the time we reached the other end. Perhaps it was the 20 minute walk, or the fresh cold wind, or the news of a fish being caught, I was just glad that I could finally concentrate on the fishing. The water was much cleaner and the depth change from shore seemed to be bigger too. This is always a good thing because it means little or no wading is required.

To make a long story short, I once again did not connect with a single sea trout. Jerk, on the other hand, was able to get into four fish! He is after all the president of the FFFD. One of them was a big kelt while the other three were bright silver fish. These silver fish, still a year or two away from their first spawn, are known as grønlænders.

He decided to keep one of the fish since it had swallowed the fly completely. I was offered the fish, but I politely declined. I think my first kept sea trout should be the one that I catch, in the meantime pastries, pork and potato will have to do.

Beside Jerk’s sea trout, we also saw a couple of fish taken by two Swedish locals, as well as a 2kg Atlantic cod, which is always a bonus when fishing from the beach.

This winter Baltic sea trout fishing business will most likely take many more years for me to understand and appreciate. It pretty much takes the phrase “that’s fishing, catching is a bonus” to a new level. For an angler who has never experienced it, one would either admire the persistence of those who do it, or simply think they are out of their mind. It’s kind of like steelheading, except there are a gazillion times more water to cover.

Martin Joergensen of Global Flyfisher recently wrote a depressing, yet funny (to his readers), blog entry which pretty much sums up my frustration and curiosity.

“A bunch of good friends and myself have been logging all trips and catches since 2003. This log now contains information about 900 trips (1715 man trips since we were more than one person on most trips) that produced 2688 fish altogether. That’s 3 fish per day and 1.6 fish per person per day - on the average. We had 354 skunked trips in that period - a whole year worth of skunked trips in 5 years! One third of all trips were fishless! Yikes!”

Who on earth would want to wade across several kilometers of frigid water and be battered by strong Arctic wind while waving the feather stick for an extremely slim possibility of one tug? Apparently the Scandinavians would.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 03:55:18 PM by Rodney »

norm_2

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 04:19:14 PM »

Rod, I just saw the high price of those fish.  Next time if you want to bring some vacuumed sealed smoked salmon over, I know how to pack it so that it will still be frozen hard when it gets there.  You would be more even more popular than you are now.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 04:59:35 PM »

Thanks Norm. Actually I had a few fillets of coho salmon vacuum packed (was even considering have them commercially cold smoked, but ran out of time) and was going to bring them but our luggage was already reaching the maximum weight. Too much fishing gear. :-\ Maybe next year, if I have another good coho season. ;D

Johncke

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 10:59:58 PM »

Who on earth would want to wade across several kilometers of frigid water and be battered by strong Arctic wind while waving the feather stick for an extremely slim possibility of one tug?

Well I would for one, but Hej I’m also a mentally challenged Viking. Sorry I couldn’t take part in our yearly New Year day tradition of opening up the fishing on the South Coast.  What are your plans for the coming weekend ? We plan to visit one of our “sweet spots” on the south coast of Sealand. ;D

Ryan ;)
Gravity Sucks !

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 11:14:11 AM »

That sounds like a good possibility. :) Sunday? The forecasted weather looks nasty in the next three days.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 06:18:33 PM »

Sunday January 6th marked the second 2008 fishing outing and my 6th Danish outing since my arrival several weeks ago. As usual, the FFFD gang picked me up at the doorstep just after first light. Such convenient service is really appreciated in a foreign country when you do not have vehicle access most of the time. We made our way to another favorite spot of theirs just one hour drive from Copenhagen.

Finally witnessing a beached fish on New Year Day has lifted my spirit and confidence. Perhaps there is a hope after all. The boys began joking about not being able to connect me with some fish so far, since apparently “the fishing has been fantastic here every year, you should have been here.” Perhaps this is one big practical joke that the Danes are playing on a Canadian fisherman? “Rod, there are only so few fish left in Denmark, so we have actually been taking you to all the spots that don’t have fish and save the rest of the fish for ourselves.”, Lars jokingly remarked when we arrived at the spot.

It was yet another lovely location. The elevated green field behind the beach provided a breathtaking lookout as we made our way down. A couple of farm houses gave me some good photographic opportunities.

The locals must be baffled everytime when I started snapping photos of their houses. Why on earth is this oriental man so fascinated with buildings? The truth is that you simply do not see structures like these in Canada, where we are so accommodated to tearing down poorly built housings after a couple of decades so we could erect bigger poorly built housings. Most of the houses here are several decades old, if not centuries, so each one has its own charm.

The four of us split up once we reached the beach and covered a large stretch of waters. An hour later, Jerk reported one rainbow trout being hooked, while Lars also spotted a couple of rainbow trout milling about. Svend and I got some fresh air.

Rainbow trout? You would think fjords of Denmark are the last places where these North American natives would be found. These are actually escapees from nearby trout  farms. Just like Atlantic salmon farms on the coast of British Columbia, these escaped trout can be a problem. Invasive species are never good news. Beside transmitting diseases, predating and competing with native species, they can really spoil the fishing experience (kind of ironic coming from an angler who has been desperately trying to barb a fish in the last few weeks). Frankly, I believe the quality of a fishing location should be judged by how natural the resource is, otherwise it would be like fishing in a giant aquarium. The Great Lakes is a prime example of such ecological disasters. While British Columbia can be considered as the last natural wonderland, illegal introduction of Atlantic salmon, bass and northern pike could put an end to it without interventions.

We decided to make a move. Again, Jerk jokingly remarked, “Now that we have hooked a fish and know there are fish here, we need to move to keep the fish away from you.” I guess that’s what happens when your guides are not being paid.

The second beach was even longer than the first one. Once again we split up to cover all the spots. Lars took off so far until we could not see him. One has to wonder what was in the coffee to get a such a boost of energy in this harsh Nordic winter.

Today I decided to give a technique commonly used by local beach anglers. They are called Bombarda floats, which are weighted but carefully balanced so it provides good casting distance as well as a controlled sink. These are typically used by spin fishermen who wish to fish with a fly at times. The sliding float is threaded onto the main line, which is tied onto a swivel. A leader up to 8 feet is tied on, followed by the fly.

The floats come in different weights (10, 15, 20, 25, 30 grams) and different densities (float, intermediate, sinking). On any given day, these could be advantageous as they allow the anglers to cover their waters with a fly much more efficiently. For pseudo-flyfishermen such as myself, who can barely reach 40 feet without hitting the back of my head, these are really handy.

My first taste of the presence of fish came around one hour after covering a stretch of weedbed. When my fly reached the shallows during one retrieve, I briefly spotted one fish following behind it. Perhaps it also spotted me, because it turned around, made a swirl and darted away immediately. Excited, I quickly attempted another cast, but I had forgotten to open the bail on the spinning reel so all I could watch was my Bombarda float flying away like an egg after the dreadful snap. Good thing no one around me saw that.

I then decided to give the trusty metal lure a try. Svend stood nearby and watched, probably wondering why I was spending so much time at one spot. Within a couple of casts, I felt a distinct bite and set the hook. The fish made a couple of kicks on my rod and freed itself before I even had a chance to scream, “Fish on!”

That pretty much sums up another beach outing in Denmark, with a couple of brief encounters. Disappointed? Absolutely not, since each trip has allowed me to absorb local knowledge and fine-tune the techniques. A hook-up also suggests this might not be a conspiracy created by the Danes to hide their fish from this Canadian after all.

Of course, we cannot finish this entry without yet another beach shot.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 12:59:31 PM »

Enough beach shot. When will you finally show a fish shot caught by you?  Better yet a video recording for those of us can't afford to go abroad and fish?  ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 03:52:30 PM »

A fish caught by me here? The chance of me becoming fluent in Danish is starting to look bigger than catching a fish. :P ;D

How about some animal pics instead? Went to the Copenhagen Zoo today (it's five minutes walk from our place, kind of hard to avoid it every year). Here are some pseudo-nature shots. Enjoy. ;)

Pat AV

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 05:08:53 PM »

great series of reports i am really enjoying them Rod. have fun over there and keep up the good "work"
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 01:22:36 PM »

An untypical fishing day in Denmark

It was untypical because there was a fish involved! Nina and I took advantage of the unusually warm weather and went back to one of Lars’ favorite spots today. It took us awhile to find it actually. We darted in and out of these small sleepy Danish towns and farms, until I eventually recognized the road where we were supposed to be on.

The sweetness was short lived. The fish grabbed the lure during the first ten minutes of this outing. I thought perhaps we were about to have a sensational day since these fish tend to travel in a school. That was not the case. We spent the next three hours doing the usual casting practice and sightseeing.

This fish followed the lure until it was just several feet away from my rod tip. As I was lifting the lure up, it decided to went for a greedy bite, causing a big swirl on the surface as my rod was pulled down. This also happened last weekend, making me think that I must have been missing quite a few fish by not paying attention when the lure made its way into the shallows.

The fight was brief but rather intense for a little fish. This was my first silver Danish sea trout from the beach, finally after around 30 hours of fishing since early December.

I had intended to release this fish at first, because we usually don’t keep fish over here to save the hassle of cleaning in a small apartment. Unfortunately a closer examination just after the first photo showed that the fish had taken the lure quite deeply, and blood was gushing out in great amount. I quickly took a measurement. It was just over 40cm, which is the legal size limit for sea trout in Denmark, so I decided to dispatch it.

Not only we were able to enjoy a fine meal out of it. I got some good ID photos because this fish exhibited these large dark spots that a silver sea trout typically has across its entire body. I guess now I have to wait 30 more fishing hours for sea trout number two?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 01:56:20 PM »

Beautiful fish....almost a shame to eat it ;)  What is the flavor like?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 04:29:04 PM »

Must be a relief to get the monkey off your back. Man, that's a big spoon.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 05:56:04 PM »

Must be a relief to get the monkey off your back. Man, that's a big spoon.

I'm assuming they are really aggresive fish then...

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2008, 08:11:05 PM »

Wow, you do need Nina to be with you to catch a fish eh ?!?  ;D ;D

Hmm, or did you catch it for you.   :D :P ;D

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2008, 10:47:04 PM »

gnarly blood pic rod, awesome! 8)
In the summertime when the weather is hot