Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gibsons/Sechelt places to fish freshwater?  (Read 8116 times)

Bhinky

Gibsons/Sechelt places to fish freshwater?
« on: October 09, 2008, 07:52:33 AM »

I have a buddy that just moved over to Gibsons. I like to flyfish and he occationally accompanies me. I would think that there would be some great places to go over there, but I have found the local tackleshop in Sechelt to be a little less than helpful. In fact when I walked in there to ask some questions, the lady looked at me like I had 3 heads and had to phone a friend to obatain the half hearted answer she gave me. I usually prefer fishing from my zodiac but if there is a decent salmon run in a river close by I'd hit that too! any help is appreciated!

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
Re: Gibsons/Sechelt places to fish freshwater?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:26:11 AM »

Go to the Chapman Creek hatchery just before Davis Bay and talk to them.They are straight up about local info.
Lake fishing up around Egmont is good. Klien lake has good access. Ruby lake too.
Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 12:58:58 PM »

THe Beach fishing for Sea Run Cutties used to be out of this world. I haven't fished there for about 8 years. But I used to have quite good luck just about eveywhere I went. Find a where a creek enters the "Ocean", and you should find a fish or two depending on the tide. However from about Rememberance Day to about Easter...quite slow as most of the fish have moved into the creeks to spawn.
Caught my largest Sea Run Trout out of Chapman Creek, thought it was a Steelhead....about 4 pounds! Porpoise Bay in the late Spring used to be good as well, not just for Cutties, but Coho as well (35 to 45 cm)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 01:38:06 PM »

THe Beach fishing for Sea Run Cutties used to be out of this world. I haven't fished there for about 8 years. But I used to have quite good luck just about eveywhere I went. Find a where a creek enters the "Ocean", and you should find a fish or two depending on the tide. However from about Rememberance Day to about Easter...quite slow as most of the fish have moved into the creeks to spawn.
Caught my largest Sea Run Trout out of Chapman Creek, thought it was a Steelhead....about 4 pounds! Porpoise Bay in the late Spring used to be good as well, not just for Cutties, but Coho as well (35 to 45 cm)

Used to fish off the pier at Sechelt for perch and sole.  Got into a few cohos with light spinning rod, never did have chance to bring them in though as we were using 1.5lb leader.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 05:02:31 PM »

That area could really use a pay and play trout farm.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

bc roller

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 01:41:51 PM »

we used to fish the rivers closer to port mellon. twin creeks area and  rainy river.but i am not sure about acess and quality these days. i have not been in lotts of years.
i have caught cutties  at the mouth of the river beside the ferry terminal in langdale.
chapman creek used to get a good run of fish
there is several lakes that hold decent trout near seashelt and egmont

Bhinky

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 01:54:57 PM »

Wow, thanks for all the great info!   :D