Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Friend Gwyn  (Read 12970 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
My Friend Gwyn
« on: August 17, 2012, 06:40:39 PM »

Many of you will have read about Gwyn in a few of my fishing stories and seen him in some recent video clips. He became gravely ill while on the Island and is in the ICU at the Nanaimo hospital.

I went to the Island yesterday to see him and also visited him this morning before returning home.

It was so sad for me to see him so sick and I shed tears as I left the room, hoping for a miracle so we once again could enjoy fishing, attending environmental meetings together and hunting trips to many parts of BC.

It made me aware once again, of how fragile life is.

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: My Friend Gwyn
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 06:54:32 PM »

Wow Chris, this is really unfortunate to hear, I had no idea.

I hope Gwyn pulls through, and I'll see him again out on the river this steelhead season. Please pass along my best wishes.

You just never know when this kind of thing is going to happen to yourself or someone else. Best to enjoy the time now while you can...

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 07:26:01 PM »

Speedy recovery, all the best to him.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 07:33:05 PM »

Sorry to hear that Chris...  will say a prayer.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 08:30:35 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend Chris and I wish him a full recovery and many more years joining you at the meetings as well as future fishing trips. Life is truly fragile ! One only need to take a drive on any highway to realize how quickly it could all end. Myself, I learned about it at the ripe old age of 34 when I was diagnosed with endocarditis and had to spend 13 weeks in the hospital and eventually have open heart surgery.

The surgeon told my family I had less than a 20% chance to survive surgery because my body was so weak, but survive I did. And now, 23 years later I still carry the same heart valve, move a bit slower due to a bad knee but I can still hike the Cap canyons and sing
and laugh with my family and friends. Just saying Chris, never give up hope. It may look bleak but its alway darkest before the dawn.

Wishing your friend the Best Chris and I wish the same for you.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »

Sorry to hear about your friend Chris. I wish him nothing but the best and for a quick recovery. Hope your doing alright buddy.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 09:07:17 PM »

I wish your friend a speedy and full recovery

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 09:54:57 PM »

Wow Chris, I am sorry to hear of Gwyn health issues and I wish him a speedy recovery so that he may once again be able to hear the bell ring or see the float dip under.

I personally know all to well how ones health can change in the blink of an eye. 4 years ago I suffered a work place accident that required surgery to my back in hopes of solving the issues only to have the surgery go wrong and I now have permanent nerve damage. They had hoped that the damage would not get worse over time but it slowly has and I now require a mobility scooter to help me get around on days where all the pain meds just dont seem to work. I hope to be able too one day return to the river and do the one thing that has brought so much joy to my life.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 10:30:25 PM »

Sorry to hear abouth this Chris, my most positive thoughts go out to see Gwyn recover.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

sthdslayer

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 10:07:38 AM »

I was just in Winter Harbour and had a nice visit with Gwen, got a tour of his cabin. So sorry to here he is in the hospital , he was looking forward to entertaining several friends over the next couple of weeks. My thoughts are with him and his family.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 04:48:42 PM »

Gwyn passed away at 2:30 this afternoon, I am sure the thoughts of us all from this forum will be with his family at this difficult time.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 05:36:06 PM »

Wow, so fast.  Thanks for this Chris.  Gywn was our good friend - please let me know of future arrangements.

Wow.  A really good, caring, hardworking and honest man, and as good a fishing partner as you could hope for.
Jeez, we counted spawning steelhead together this past spring ...

RIP Gywn Joiner

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 05:36:20 PM »

Gwyn passed away at 2:30 this afternoon, I am sure the thoughts of us all from this forum will be with his family at this difficult time.

I am so sorry for your loss Chris. My condolences to you and all his friends and family.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 05:39:14 PM »

Condolences to all that knew him

jon5hill

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 05:54:31 PM »

Here is Gwyn entering a fish in the Wally Hall. He entered a few if I am not mistaken. I am sorry to have never met him.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=195982893824350&set=a.188765584546081.44431.113421562080484&type=3&theater

I hope this link works..