Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Last minute tying frenzy  (Read 5260 times)

TtotheE

Last minute tying frenzy
« on: June 20, 2005, 01:31:55 PM »

In attemps to be more than prepared for the bass fishing trip to Salt Spring Island this weekend,  I'll be tying some flies and am looking for some suggestions.  Looking for some "must have" or "go to" patterns to be on the safe side.  Wet/dry patterns,  doesn't matter.  Effective size/color suggestions would also be great.

I've bought some colored deer hair so I can try my hand at spinning some deer hair poppers and divers.

For those of you who tie for bass,  or are even going this weekend,  what do you use?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:  Oh yes,  and not to be too wimpy about getting completely skunked,  are there any patterns for perch if we sense the smell of skunkage looming part way through the day?  LOL  ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 01:38:53 PM by TtotheE »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Last minute tying frenzy
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 02:18:38 PM »

Over at West Coast Tackle they mentioned that the Matuka's were decent patterns for bass, when I was picking them up based on someones suggestion about using them for general searching pattern for trout.

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 02:34:28 PM »

wolly buggers in black olive and marroon....black rabbit strip leetchs....very deadly for bass....almost any minnow type representaion will work......keep them moving.....bass like to chase stuff....oh...and poppers kin give u visuals that stay with you forever....;))))

let us know how you make out....well...fishing wise anyways... ;D

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

TtotheE

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 08:18:49 PM »

Thanks guys,  I think I have the leach area covered.  I'll be try some mutakas  ;)

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 10:39:33 PM »

If you are too lazy to tie up some popper type flies or don't have the time, tie an unweighted ugly leech/wooly bugger type of fly with and stick a larger corkie onto the line above the hook and hold it in place with a toothpick.  The corkie should give colour, floatation and also cause a nice wake.  I have never fly fished for bass so I don't personally know how well this would work, but the corkie technique has been utilized successfully by a prominent BC fly fisher and if he were a member of this board, this is the technique he would suggest (I think  ;))

Shane